Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Heisman finalists announced « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

: December 07, 2009, 07:09:44 PM

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/07/heisman-finalists-announced/

Heisman finalists announced
Posted by John Taylor on December 7, 2009 6:26 PM ET
The finalists for the 75th annual Heisman Trophy award were announced this evening, and a total of five players will be making the trek to New York City for the Downtown Athletic Club ceremony.

All five players hail from BcS conferences; four of the five are seniors; and the same number come from the offensive side of the ball.  So, as announced by former Heisman winner Tim Brown, here are the five finalists:

Mark Ingram, running back, Alabama
Toby Gerhart, running back, Stanford
Tim Tebow, quarterback, Florida
Colt McCoy, quarterback, Texas
Ndamukong Suh, defensive tackle, Nebraska

First of all, kudos to the Heisman voters for recognizing the trench brilliance of Suh.  While it's unlikely the lineman will take home the hardware -- although he should -- it's a solid recognition of just how dominant the Cornhusker has been all season long.

Secondly, there's only one player who I really have a gripe about and yes, Gator Fan, it's Tebow.  Make no mistake, the UF legend is an outstanding football player, one of the greatest of all-time at the Div. 1-A level.  However, he has not been one of the top five players in college football this season.  At all.  The Heisman is not a lifetime achievement award -- at least it shouldn't be -- and  the voters are allowing his first three seasons in Gainesville to cloud what's been, by most accounts, a mediocre season.

Thirdly, now seems like as good a time as any to put out for your mocking ridicule consideration my top three Heisman contenders.  Just pretend I have an official vote and it actually carries some weight:

1.) Suh
2.) Gerhart
3.) Ingram

Just for the record, I was really torn between Gerhart and Ingram, and leaving out McCoy for that matter.  I was not torn in the least about putting Suh at the top of the list, though.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 07, 2009, 07:11:56 PM

Suh deserves it.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 07, 2009, 07:20:04 PM

Suh deserves it.

no he doesnt.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 07, 2009, 07:20:41 PM

according to one site that has predicted the winner right since they opened (2002) they say its a very tight race between Ingram and Gearhart

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 07, 2009, 07:25:08 PM

Suh deserves it.

no he doesnt.

Why? Running backs constantly put up numbers like those dudes.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 07, 2009, 07:47:44 PM

Suh deserves it.

no he doesnt.

Why? Running backs constantly put up numbers like those dudes.

doesnt have even the best defensive stats. Dont get me wrong I love the guy, but hes not the best player in the country.

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 07, 2009, 07:48:31 PM

according to one site that has predicted the winner right since they opened (2002) they say its a very tight race between Ingram and Gearhart

Right now my ballot is: Suh, Ingram, Gerhart, McCoy, Tebow.

Actual prediction: Ingram, McCoy, Gerhart, Suh, Tebow.

Who has better numbers than him?  Remember how Dorsey was making a campaign for the Heisman?  Suh doubles his stats in everything.

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 07, 2009, 10:32:29 PM

Suh, Gearhart, Ingram, McCoy, Tebow.

#8 : December 08, 2009, 03:26:34 AM

Spiller got robbed.

DKWEST

Starter

#9 : December 08, 2009, 07:05:14 AM

Tim Tebow did go 12-1,.. Just because you lose the last game (where receivers dropped 7 or 8 passes that were right in their hands), doesn't diminish that your team is 12-1 and still one of the best teams in the country. And many of those games he took the game into his own hands and pretty much won the games for his team.  All without any game-breaking Wide Receivers after losing Luis Murphy and Percy Harvin.

Point is,..  Tebow deserves to be there,..  No way he wins it, but he still had a great season.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 08, 2009, 10:32:29 AM

Tim Tebow did go 12-1,.. Just because you lose the last game (where receivers dropped 7 or 8 passes that were right in their hands), doesn't diminish that your team is 12-1 and still one of the best teams in the country. And many of those games he took the game into his own hands and pretty much won the games for his team.  All without any game-breaking Wide Receivers after losing Luis Murphy and Percy Harvin.

Point is,..  Tebow deserves to be there,..  No way he wins it, but he still had a great season.

He beat one ranked team...

DKWEST

Starter

#11 : December 08, 2009, 01:17:58 PM

Just because someone like "Central Michigan" is "Ranked",..  doesn't make them better than Georgia,  Tennessee,  Mississippi St, South Carolina,  or even a Kentucky or Florida State

lmao,..  he had as tough of competition as anyone out there

Doesn't matter though,..  He has his Heisman,..  2 National Championships,..  3 SEC Titles,..  lost very few games,..  broke a lot of records,..

He deserves to be there

DKWEST

Starter

#12 : December 08, 2009, 01:20:30 PM

Anyway,..   I'd give my vote to Suh if I had one

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#13 : December 08, 2009, 03:25:25 PM

Hmmmm.. personally I'd go Gerhart over Ingram. I feel Ingram (although a damn fine RB) made the most of a dominant 'Bama O, whereas Gerhart was the Stanford O. McCoy and Tebow haven't really been all that impressive and I think they got included because thier teams were media darlings for most of the year. If I was a voter I would look at them and ask myself which one has been the most outstanding player for a) his team and b) his conference.

It would be a tough choice to make but it would come down to 2 for me Suh and Gerhart. Both on Mediocre teams, but both players made thier teams good enough to be mediocre. Take them both out of the equation and thier teams would seriously have sucked, whereas if you take Tebow/McCoy/Ingram out of thier teams they would not have been missed as badly.

Having watched both Suh and Gerhart this season it is hard to judge who has had the most impact, is it Suh keeping Nebraska in games with his dominant D play or is it Gerhart who has kept the Stanford O running all year? The trouble is most voters will go with the O output over the D which is a shame as I think Suh edges it.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 10, 2009, 07:34:46 PM

Just because someone like "Central Michigan" is "Ranked",.. doesn't make them better than Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi St, South Carolina, or even a Kentucky or Florida State

lmao,.. he had as tough of competition as anyone out there

Doesn't matter though,.. He has his Heisman,.. 2 National Championships,.. 3 SEC Titles,.. lost very few games,.. broke a lot of records,..

He deserves to be there

Tebow also played a hotel, and schools nobody has heard of.

And 75% of those schools you listed suck... hell sorry arse UCLA won at Tenn.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Heisman finalists announced « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools