Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown to the rescue? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

#15 : October 18, 2006, 10:06:36 AM

Saw Luke at the player entrance Sunday and he looked fit and ready to resume practicing.  But then, I am no doctor.  He seemed very upbeat.

I think he's actually been recovered and training for a few weeks now.  I'm excited to have him as a backup.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 18, 2006, 10:17:20 AM

McCown fits the system a lot better then Simms does.  This is good news for the Bucs and will allow the team to either put Simms on IR and open a roster spot or release Rattay and open a roster spot.  With the type of offense that Gruden runs and all the shifts and different formations it is a benifit to have all your QB's either be right handed or left handed.  Plus the extra roster spot can be used on one of the players this team wanted to keep but decided to go with the player that did more on ST's.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 18, 2006, 10:37:17 AM

I am not sure if McCown will make an impact, but Gruden seemed very high on him last season.  He looked pretty good during his first pre-season, and the reports from Gruden on his radio show were glowing all last season.  On the plus side McCown should be fairly familiar with the playbook by now and he has a little NFL experience.  If grads progresses McCown will make a very good back-up because he has good mobility and he is also right-handed.

Garv

Hall of Famer
#18 : October 18, 2006, 10:43:42 AM

yes he is Boid, I've been saying this for a longtime now, been a fan of his since college. He's awesome! Great player, hard worker, good speed and mobility. He reminds me of a very young Peyton Manning.

You'll see

Come on now. Like optimism as much as the next guy, but isn't that kind of sort of a stretch? LOL
Grads is our guynow anyway and the ONLY way Luke plays is if something BAD happens. Peyton Manning or not.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

wtmcgee

Starter

#19 : October 18, 2006, 11:13:58 AM

A young Peyton....

How young?  Like 15, 16?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 18, 2006, 11:24:09 AM

A young Peyton....

How young?  Like 15, 16?

ROFLAMO   ;D

#21 : October 18, 2006, 12:08:51 PM

McCown has looked good in preseason, and Gruden likes the guy. Hope we keep him around.

#22 : October 18, 2006, 01:23:43 PM

yes he is Boid, I've been saying this for a longtime now, been a fan of his since college. He's awesome! Great player, hard worker, good speed and mobility. He reminds me of a very young Peyton Manning.

I'm just wondering how a guy with good speed and mobility reminds you of Peyton Manning?

gone

Hall of Famer
#23 : October 18, 2006, 02:42:49 PM

AWESOME!!!!!  I am excited about our rook Rocket Jr. But man, I've been waiting so long for Cool Hand Luke to play. He's awesome!!!!
Are you a girl!?
"Oooh, he's so dreamy"

Try going less teenie-bopper over him and maybe peeps won't laugh at you

fbickley

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 18, 2006, 03:18:17 PM

Come on now. Like optimism as much as the next guy, but isn't that kind of sort of a stretch? LOL
Grads is our guynow anyway and the ONLY way Luke plays is if something BAD happens. Peyton Manning or not.

Actually, He was supposed to push Simms this past preseason due to his time with the playbook, good arm, and very good mobility.  IF you recall, he was going to be a sleeper going into camp and was expected to come out and show how well he had learned the playbook.  Unfortunately, the injury derailed that and we only got a taste in minicamp. 

Gradowski looks good, but with another year in the playbook, McCown will be there to push him at the least.  While I really like Grads, I am more excited about a horse race with two young mobile guns who are built for the course.  If Grads keeps his pace, he will keep the job, but McCown is supposed to know when to throw it away, and what is expected of him.  He will steal the lead if Grads proves to make too many bad decisions.

gone

Hall of Famer
#25 : October 18, 2006, 03:42:50 PM

Actually, He was supposed to push Simms this past preseason due to his time with the playbook, good arm, and very good mobility.  IF you recall, he was going to be a sleeper going into camp and was expected to come out and show how well he had learned the playbook.  Unfortunately, the injury derailed that and we only got a taste in minicamp. 

Gradowski looks good, but with another year in the playbook, McCown will be there to push him at the least.  While I really like Grads, I am more excited about a horse race with two young mobile guns who are built for the course.  If Grads keeps his pace, he will keep the job, but McCown is supposed to know when to throw it away, and what is expected of him.  He will steal the lead if Grads proves to make too many bad decisions.
Jon's not gonna pull him any time soon.  Too much love there.  He'll be it for the rest of the year I'd guess, even with some bad games, unless he just goes all Kyle Orton on us (no splash, just a manager at best).  Even then it would prolly be week 14 or later.  I never heard Gru talk about luke like he does bruce.

fbickley

Hall of Famer
#26 : October 18, 2006, 04:06:32 PM

I am not arguing that.  However, it will be an open race this offseason for the starting spot next year.  Bruce needs to take advantage of the experience he will get this year, which will be more than McCown has, although he has been in the season longer.  But if McCown shows that he knows the offense and can make the proper reads and decisions, and Grads doesn't progress and become more consistant, we will see a dogfight for the starting spot next TC.

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 18, 2006, 05:28:05 PM

I dont see we dont just put Simms on IR. 4 QB's is stupid.

Garv

Hall of Famer
#28 : October 18, 2006, 07:09:20 PM

I am not arguing that. However, it will be an open race this offseason for the starting spot next year. Bruce needs to take advantage of the experience he will get this year, which will be more than McCown has, although he has been in the season longer. But if McCown shows that he knows the offense and can make the proper reads and decisions, and Grads doesn't progress and become more consistant, we will see a dogfight for the starting spot next TC.

It's possible, but Grads has made so much progress in such a short period of time it's hard to see Luke passing him in the offseason. BUT, I'm all for competition between two young up and comers so we'll see.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 18, 2006, 07:20:43 PM

It's possible, but Grads has made so much progress in such a short period of time it's hard to see Luke passing him in the offseason. BUT, I'm all for competition between two young up and comers so we'll see.

It is crazy to think this kid was playing college ball a few months ago, and now he is a NFL starter from the sixth round.  If he does progress and be the QB that everyone is hoping it will be a bit of a fairytale story.  I was looking at the QB drafted in the last decade earlier today, and there is hardly a name you would recognise from the 3rd round onwards.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown to the rescue? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools