Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Todd McShay has us picking 2nd in the draft, and we select... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

#30 : December 16, 2009, 11:16:49 AM

Dumb. The Rams NEED a QB desperately. Bulger is literally falling apart and Kyle Boller is no starter. The Rams haven't drafted a franchise QB since.....??? They'll take Jimmy Clausen. Not only is he experience with the vertical offense that they want to run, he's accustomed to being under media scrutiny. The pick makes good sense.

NEED is the operative word in your post.   Are they (or the possible new regime) going to draft for NEED or BPA.  That is the $64,000 question.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#31 : December 16, 2009, 11:23:06 AM

I like Berry, I just don't like a SS at #2 overall.
I think he's a FS at the NFL level.

We have a good FS already...
I have no problem with Jackson, but we already passed on the best MLB and best RB in the game because we were "good" at those positions. If Berry is truly an Ed Reed/Rod Woodson type player, I don't care who is already on the team.

Yep. TJ is a good safety, but he's not Ed Reed or Troy P. For all intents and purposes Berry is more of a sure thing than Suh in this draft, he's the number one prospect on most of the scouting reports.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 16, 2009, 11:25:18 AM

I have no problem with Jackson, but we already passed on the best MLB and best RB in the game because we were "good" at those positions. If Berry is truly an Ed Reed/Rod Woodson type player, I don't care who is already on the team.

Yep. TJ is a good safety, but he's not Ed Reed or Troy P. For all intents and purposes Berry is more of a sure thing than Suh in this draft, he's the number one prospect on most of the scouting reports.

Tanard Jackson is the best player on the team.

Sorry K2 and Talib groupies.. This guy gets it done, every play.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

yungbull

Starter
#33 : December 16, 2009, 11:28:07 AM

What makes you think he's not as good as Troy or Ed?  Neither were projected to be as high a pick as Berry.  And this draft is just as deep as both the 2002 and 2003 drafts.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 16, 2009, 11:29:46 AM

And guys like Troy P and Bob Sanders, though dominating at their positions, are always injured.  1st round money is simply too much for Berry.  He'll slip...

burger40

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 16, 2009, 11:30:43 AM

Clausen would be a reach for STL but the only time you should violate taking BPA is when you are in desperate need of a franchise QB which Bulger really wasn't and Warner wasn't either. So I guess teh last one was Tony Banks in the late 90's.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 16, 2009, 11:35:03 AM

I don't understand why people always say safety is a low value position. I know that has historically been the case, but that doesn't make it true.

The Ravens D takes a big hit when Reed is injured
The Colts D takes a big hit when Sanders is injured
The Steelers D goes from being the best in the NFL to one of the worst overnight when Polamalu is injured.

Heck, our own D was noticeably better when TJax came back, and with all the holes we have, you wouldn't expect that to be the case if safety is truly a "low value" position.

If Suh isn't available, Berry is by far the next BPA. There's a large drop off between him and the next guy. This draft is loaded with DL talent anyways...many of these 2nd round guys, like Jerry Hughes or Brandon Graham, would be 1st rounders in other years.

Buc31

Starter

#37 : December 16, 2009, 12:02:23 PM

We have a pro bowl OG, are you really complaining?

We have a pro bowl alternate OG who shouldn't been there anyways. Plus, what people always miss is opportunity cost. Can you get the same or similar production much later and in Davin's case yes.

No one can even tell me, other than a position swtich, what Berry does for us? We hope he does what DJax does. DJax is back there and unless your theory is we'll pay him big $$$$ and layout the long green for the #2 overall so we can what, dump a ton of salary into the S position? We'll corner the market on great S play and get ripped to shreds everywhere else.

Berry is a nice player he just plays what is functionally a low value position so he's a replacable element that guys at other spots aren't.
Why don't u ask Pittsburg how replaceable Troy Polamalu is....

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 16, 2009, 12:05:11 PM

We have a pro bowl alternate OG who shouldn't been there anyways. Plus, what people always miss is opportunity cost. Can you get the same or similar production much later and in Davin's case yes.

No one can even tell me, other than a position swtich, what Berry does for us? We hope he does what DJax does. DJax is back there and unless your theory is we'll pay him big $$$$ and layout the long green for the #2 overall so we can what, dump a ton of salary into the S position? We'll corner the market on great S play and get ripped to shreds everywhere else.

Berry is a nice player he just plays what is functionally a low value position so he's a replacable element that guys at other spots aren't.

Good point for NOT drafting him.  Teams like the Colts and Steelers are tied to the health of their all encompassing saftey, which leaves them exposed greatly when these guys get injured, (which is often).  The seconday doesn't have to have superstars at any one position, just good, solid starters working together.  Berry is overrated.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 16, 2009, 12:09:41 PM

IMO Berry will not be an in the box SS like Polamalu and Sanders, and thus won't be as exposed to the same injury concerns.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

hopesman

Rookie
#40 : December 16, 2009, 12:16:07 PM

I can't see 'DB love' passing on Berry, if Suh isn't available and he's still the head coach of course.

Great point, what about our huge wholes in the Run Defense and Pass rush?

With 2 shutdown corners it improves your pass rush. Look at San Diego as a great example, Jammer and Cromartie give the pash rush an extra few seconds to get to the QB. So just as a great pass rush can hide weak cover corners (Donnie Abraham, Ronde, Brian Kelly, Dwight Smith) so too can shutdown corners help the pass rush. Just my opinion!

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#41 : December 16, 2009, 12:19:52 PM

And guys like Troy P and Bob Sanders, though dominating at their positions, are always injured.  1st round money is simply too much for Berry.  He'll slip...

He doesn't have an injury history and are you really saying he isn't worth a 1st round pick?

Good point for NOT drafting him. Teams like the Colts and Steelers are tied to the health of their all encompassing saftey, which leaves them exposed greatly when these guys get injured, (which is often). The seconday doesn't have to have superstars at any one position, just good, solid starters working together. Berry is overrated.

Team like the Colts and Steelers have no depth, that's their major problem. It would be extremely stupid to not take one of the best players in the draft based off the fear of injury. All players are susceptable to injury, damn if Suh doesn't already have an injury history.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 16, 2009, 12:21:58 PM

I can't see 'DB love' passing on Berry, if Suh isn't available and he's still the head coach of course.

With 2 shutdown corners it improves your pass rush. Look at San Diego as a great example, Jammer and Cromartie give the pash rush an extra few seconds to get to the QB. So just as a great pass rush can hide weak cover corners (Donnie Abraham, Ronde, Brian Kelly, Dwight Smith) so too can shutdown corners help the pass rush. Just my opinion!

In theory, yes, but in practice not so much.  Remember, at current we have Barber and Talib, two very very solid corners.  Add to that T-Jax at saftey, and we have a solid corps of DB's.  Yet they continually get exposed---why?  Because even the best HOF corners can't cover a WR forever.  4-6 seconds is admirable, after that they're gonna get torched.  That's why you HAVE to have a pass rush in place.  The pass rush is the cornerstone of the defense.  

hopesman

Rookie
#43 : December 16, 2009, 12:30:55 PM

In theory, yes, but in practice not so much.  Remember, at current we have Barber and Talib, two very very solid corners.  Add to that T-Jax at saftey, and we have a solid corps of DB's.  Yet they continually get exposed---why?  Because even the best HOF corners can't cover a WR forever.  4-6 seconds is admirable, after that they're gonna get torched.  That's why you HAVE to have a pass rush in place.  The pass rush is the cornerstone of the defense. 

It's the gap between the 4 and the 6 that makes all the difference in the world. That's what I'm saying...it really helps the pash rush if a qb has to wait more than 4 seconds to deliver the ball. How many coverage sacks are made in the NFL? It's always not just an amazing Freeny type move that gets sacks, it's QBs bobbing around back there looking for a reciever and then gets popped(by a blind squirel) while waiting. Now I'm not saying the Bucs should sign me to rush the QB if they draft Berry(I still hope to see a few DL pick-ups in the Draft/Free Agency), but a game-changing cover guy is still a high, high premium in the NFL.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 16, 2009, 12:32:37 PM

He doesn't have an injury history and are you really saying he isn't worth a 1st round pick?

Good point for NOT drafting him. Teams like the Colts and Steelers are tied to the health of their all encompassing saftey, which leaves them exposed greatly when these guys get injured, (which is often). The seconday doesn't have to have superstars at any one position, just good, solid starters working together. Berry is overrated.

Team like the Colts and Steelers have no depth, that's their major problem. It would be extremely stupid to not take one of the best players in the draft based off the fear of injury. All players are susceptable to injury, damn if Suh doesn't already have an injury history.

Can't afford any depth because of the massive contracts that superstars demand.  

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Todd McShay has us picking 2nd in the draft, and we select... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools