Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Todd McShay has us picking 2nd in the draft, and we select... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#75 : December 16, 2009, 04:42:36 PM

When a team is as bad as we are this year, you have to draft on BPA, no doubt about that.  And that is most definitely Eric Berry.

Again, you BPA dinks need to wake up. Berry might be graded at a 98 or something and the next guy is a 97. The net difference is nothing. Players make a different impact at the NFL level.

No one would recommend the #2 overall pick be a punter now would you? I mean Ray Flippin' Guy himself ain't the #2 overall pick but he might be the highest graded player in a draft. Breath slowly and admit the truth, now exhale and realize that if you agree your whole BPA theory is a lie and move on.

Now ponder why S's don't get picked in the top 5 in most drafts and don't histoircally and realize it is for the same reason OG's, C's, FB's and their ilk don't. Not worth it. Do we need to replace Sabby, yes. Can we do that in R2............yes.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#76 : December 16, 2009, 04:50:27 PM

When a team is as bad as we are this year, you have to draft on BPA, no doubt about that. And that is most definitely Eric Berry.

In that case, why not draft Mark Ingram?  Or Dez Bryant? 

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#77 : December 16, 2009, 04:54:40 PM

ingram isnt eligible for the draft and bryant is a big question mark, and not bpa at all

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#78 : December 16, 2009, 05:02:26 PM

When a team is as bad as we are this year, you have to draft on BPA, no doubt about that.  And that is most definitely Eric Berry.

Again, you BPA dinks need to wake up. Berry might be graded at a 98 or something and the next guy is a 97. The net difference is nothing. Players make a different impact at the NFL level.

No one would recommend the #2 overall pick be a punter now would you? I mean Ray Flippin' Guy himself ain't the #2 overall pick but he might be the highest graded player in a draft. Breath slowly and admit the truth, now exhale and realize that if you agree your whole BPA theory is a lie and move on.

Now ponder why S's don't get picked in the top 5 in most drafts and don't histoircally and realize it is for the same reason OG's, C's, FB's and their ilk don't. Not worth it. Do we need to replace Sabby, yes. Can we do that in R2............yes.

Thank you - you saved me the effort.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#79 : December 16, 2009, 05:03:39 PM

Once again many analyst  think Berry will be moved to CB.  A probowl caliber CB is certainly worth a top 5 pick.  I'd be happy with a probowl caliber Safety as well considering our draft history and how few 1st round picks actually achieve that level. 

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#80 : December 16, 2009, 05:03:53 PM

ingram isnt eligible for the draft and bryant is a big question mark, and not bpa at all

BPA is a matter of opinion...and that opinion is heavily influenced by NEED.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#81 : December 16, 2009, 05:05:17 PM

not applicable here since we need everything

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#82 : December 16, 2009, 05:47:27 PM

not applicable here since we need everything

There is no bigger need than pass rusher.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#83 : December 16, 2009, 05:48:06 PM

Top 5 is high end for any CB/S. There are only a handful of them and their results are kinda spotty, excepting Taylor's untimely demise. Terrance Newman (Dallas, 5th), Quinton Jammer (San Diego, 5th) and Sean Taylor (Washington, 5th). This is from 1999 to 2009.

Top 10 includes Chris McAlister (Baltimore), Champ Bailey (Washington), Michael Huff (Oakland), Donte Whitner (Buffalo), LaRon Landry (Washington), DeAngelo Hall (Atlanta), Dunta Robinson (Houston), Adam Jones (Tennessee), Carlos Rogers (Washington), Antrel Rolle (Arizona).

Is Eric Berry worth the second pick overall? At 2nd overall the kid had better be Ronnie Lott AND Rod Woodson combined or he may not have the value that pick requires. Berry is a very good player but does he turn into Sean Taylor or DeAngelo Hall? I'd even feel better if we stood pat and took DT McCoy or an OT like Okung where we should get value for the pick. Best case scenario is a trade down and maybe take Berry there or go a different direction altogether. Looking for DL in the 2nd isn't the worst idea. There should be some good players there and God knows we need more than 1.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

Hate

Hall of Famer
#84 : December 16, 2009, 05:50:01 PM

That's a pick I'm going to break my TV if we make it. It'll rate as dumb as taking Davin at 23rd.

Then who should the pick be?

-------------------------------------------------------

burger40

Hall of Famer

#85 : December 16, 2009, 06:15:02 PM

I can't see 'DB love' passing on Berry, if Suh isn't available and he's still the head coach of course.

Great point, what about our huge wholes in the Run Defense and Pass rush?

With 2 shutdown corners it improves your pass rush. Look at San Diego as a great example, Jammer and Cromartie give the pash rush an extra few seconds to get to the QB. So just as a great pass rush can hide weak cover corners (Donnie Abraham, Ronde, Brian Kelly, Dwight Smith) so too can shutdown corners help the pass rush. Just my opinion!

In theory, yes, but in practice not so much.  Remember, at current we have Barber and Talib, two very very solid corners.  Add to that T-Jax at saftey, and we have a solid corps of DB's.  Yet they continually get exposed---why?  Because even the best HOF corners can't cover a WR forever.  4-6 seconds is admirable, after that they're gonna get torched.  That's why you HAVE to have a pass rush in place.  The pass rush is the cornerstone of the defense.  
interestingly enough we've actually moved into the top 10 in pass defense by yardage or very close to it. Mainly bc we are getting gashed on the run but our pass defense has simproved greatly since NE and GB

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

burger40

Hall of Famer

#86 : December 16, 2009, 06:18:31 PM

I would like the pick of Berry more if we moved him to CB bc honestly I don't see him being a guy we want in the box often playing a John Lynch type SS role.... do you? I want him playing in coverage where his ridiculous athleticism and instincts will make any QB think twice. He's got great ball skills so I wouldn't mind seeing him as a FS except we already have a darn good FS. If we take Berry I think we either have to put him at FS and move Tanard or put Berry at CB. At 205 pounds I'm not sure we should have him play SS although he definitely has the hitting ability and natural tackling skills that are required so maybe i'm wrong, but I would want his cover skills used to the max.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#87 : December 16, 2009, 06:25:57 PM

interestingly enough we've actually moved into the top 10 in pass defense by yardage or very close to it. Mainly bc we are getting gashed on the run but our pass defense has simproved greatly since NE and GB

That's what two weeks of Matt Moore and Kellen Clemens will do for you.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

General Alstott

Rookie

#88 : December 16, 2009, 06:36:07 PM

For me, it all comes down to the collapse in Carolina last year. They rushed for over 300 hundred yards and our run defense has been non-existent ever since. I would love to have Suh, and if he is there at #2, thats who we draft. However, in the event that the Rams grab him, we shouldn't take Berry. Our pass defense is ranked 7th right now(I think), which would only get better if we had an effective pass rush. Don't get me wrong, Berry is a star, I just don't believe he will be as big of an impact as another D-lineman besides Suh.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#89 : December 16, 2009, 07:09:25 PM

If BPA is a matter of opinion, then you'd be fine with me saying that Terrence Cody is way better than Suh and McCoy and should be picked #1.

Just doesn't work that way.

Bryant has been out of school for a year and really isn't an elite prospect. He's just the best one since CJ.
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Todd McShay has us picking 2nd in the draft, and we select... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools