Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gradkowski V Leinart « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Bucluva101

Hall of Famer

#75 : October 19, 2006, 11:05:11 AM

Leinart looked a lot better than Gradkowski IMO, but I'm still happy with how Gradkowski has performed so far.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#76 : October 19, 2006, 12:06:09 PM

I think Leinart has a higher football IQ, but Grads sounds like the kind of guy that wants to improve his.
Higher IQ in general, if you go by Wonderlic scores.  Bruce's reputed low score was supposed to be one of the knocks against him.

Beastie

Rookie

#77 : October 19, 2006, 11:58:48 AM

The point im making in the post is that he doesn't necessarily have better tool!!!

he cant scramble which is crucial.
His long ball is probably better but it aint an Elway, and his accuracy might be better but not by much too.

he is very similar to grad in talent, the gap is seemingly huge because of the pub and success he had at USC and draft position.

oh and the 50$ mill diff in contract.

If you really think that Leinart doenst have alot more talent than Gradkowski you are not watching the games from a objective point of view.

Dont get me wrong I am one of the biggest Gradkowski fans here but to say that Leinart doesnt have better tools is just rediculous. And the whole USC thing....I was one of the biggest doubters of Leinart's ability to perform to the hype but if you really sat down and watched the game against the Bears you would realize that you were watching something special.

Leinart did it without a running game and without his primary target and shouldve beat the best team in the league. He didnt look faced and looked as poised as Ive ever seen a quarterback coming out of college.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#78 : October 19, 2006, 12:04:33 PM

If he is the starter he will get a new deal at the end of next season.  You don’t hold sixth round picks to their rookie deals when they start from day one, especially a QB.

I thought this was Allen's policy?

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#79 : October 19, 2006, 12:14:24 PM

The point im making in the post is that he doesn't necessarily have better tool!!!

His long ball is probably better but it aint an Elway, and his accuracy might be better but not by much too.

he is very similar to grad in talent, the gap is seemingly huge because of the pub and success he had at USC and draft position.

You forgot the 37-2 record as a starter and 2 National Titles.

And Grads is winning me over with the way he's running the offense, but I can't recall the last Super Bowl where a running QB was crucial to the win.

gone

Hall of Famer
#80 : October 19, 2006, 12:32:22 PM

Dude, I'm all about Grads, and think he'll be a top QB someday, but scrambling aside, Leinarts got the edge on all the measurables.  The intangibles remain to be seen, as we just haven't seen enough of grads to determine that.  And Leinart is just clearly, clearly better pure passing.  These things may even out over time, Grads will get better than he is now, but right now it's just no contest in some areas.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#81 : October 19, 2006, 12:37:19 PM

Dude, I'm all about Grads, and think he'll be a top QB someday, but scrambling aside, Leinarts got the edge on all the measurables.  The intangibles remain to be seen, as we just haven't seen enough of grads to determine that.  And Leinart is just clearly, clearly better pure passing.  These things may even out over time, Grads will get better than he is now, but right now it's just no contest in some areas.

I concur.

coopsxx

Starter
#82 : October 19, 2006, 12:57:42 PM

I am not referring to grads as a running qb just that he can make plays when he needs too with his feet. Something Linehart will NEVER have, whereas Grads passing will improve.

and with regards to Leinart being without his best WR. His other WR, Boldin is better than both of ours. But fair enough he did play a better D with a worse line (cant believe i am writing that) and no running game, TE, or indeed playcaller.

Anyway what i am saying is that Leinart does not have vastly greater tools, I am saying they are much more comparable than we would have thought a few months back. If you were grading them perhaps it would be a Leinart = A / Grad = B   -- rather than an A/F ratio back in May

#83 : October 19, 2006, 01:16:43 PM

It will be interesting to see Grads develop.  I do get a true "winner's vibe" from him.  I just hope he keeps learning, keeps improving.

He does look like a "system QB" right about now, though.  I just hope he can be as good as I think he can.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm totally on the Grads bandwagon.  Leinart looked like the real deal against Chi, though.  He'll be good.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#84 : October 19, 2006, 01:32:57 PM

He does look like a "system QB" right about now, though...

I never thought about that. Good point.

I wonder how Grads would do in other schemes..

Beastie

Rookie

#85 : October 19, 2006, 01:37:09 PM

I hope we never find out :)

#86 : October 19, 2006, 03:09:33 PM

It's not a knock against him to be a system QB.  It's probably better for us that way, if anything.  His skillset seems so perfectly tailored to the WCO.

I think he could work well in other systems, just not one where you expect him to go deep down the field on a regular basis.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#87 : October 19, 2006, 09:16:19 PM

The 5 from the MAC are: Gradkowski (Toledo), Roethlisberger (Miami OH), Frye (Akron), Pennington (Marshall), and Leftwich (Marshall). Marshall is a C-USA school now, but was MAC when those two played there. Charlie Batch also started for Pittsburgh 1 game, and he was Eastern Michigan, another MAC school.

And, for the record, based on what I've seen of Andrew Walter, I'd hesitate to list him as anything other than a quarterback in name only.

Yet you don't dispute the seven that came out of the Pac-10?  ;)

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#88 : October 19, 2006, 05:52:32 PM

Not sure the comparison about where they played is a major factor.  There are 5 starting QBs in the NFL from the PAC 10, 3 starting QBs from the Big 12 and 5 starting QBs in the NFL from the MAC.  If the level of play is so different you would think that there would be a larger percentage of QBs from the PAC 10 and the Big 12.

Where did the other two come from in the MAC? Frye went to Akron. Roethlisberger went to Miami-Ohio. Gradkowski went to Toledo. That's three.

There are seven starting QB's from the Pac-10; not five. Palmer and Leinart went to USC. Plummer and Walter went to Arizona State. Huard and Brunell went to Washington. Bledsoe went to Washington State.

The only QB from the Big 12 I see starting right now is Vince Young; not three of them.  ;)

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#89 : October 19, 2006, 09:12:39 PM

Where did the other two come from in the MAC? Frye went to Akron. Roethlisberger went to Miami-Ohio. Gradkowski went to Toledo. That's three.

There are seven starting QB's from the Pac-10; not five. Palmer and Leinart went to USC. Plummer and Walter went to Arizona State. Huard and Brunell went to Washington. Bledsoe went to Washington State.

The only QB from the Big 12 I see starting right now is Vince Young; not three of them.� ;)

The 5 from the MAC are: Gradkowski (Toledo), Roethlisberger (Miami OH), Frye (Akron), Pennington (Marshall), and Leftwich (Marshall). Marshall is a C-USA school now, but was MAC when those two played there. Charlie Batch also started for Pittsburgh 1 game, and he was Eastern Michigan, another MAC school.

And, for the record, based on what I've seen of Andrew Walter, I'd hesitate to list him as anything other than a quarterback in name only.
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gradkowski V Leinart « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools