Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~Today is going great for TB~~~~~ « previous next »
Page: 1

: March 01, 2007, 11:11:33 PM

George Foster to Detroit

Eric Steinbach to Cleveland

=

Joe Thomas to Tampa Bay @ #4 pick

Cleveland already has 7 mil per year invested into Kevin Shaffer to play LT. A lot of money assigned to LeCharles Bentley, and if they sign Steinbech to 7 mil per year there is NO WAY they can pay Joe Thomas. Not to mention the smart pick would be to get Adrian Peterson to run behind these boys

Detroit has lots of jack in Jeff Backus to play LT. They could move him to RT, but then they will be paying a ton of money for their starting tackles if they took Joe Thomas. They also just drafted a fairly talented RT prospect last season, in Jonathon Scott.

Worst scenario would be someone now trading up due to all this, and taking Thomas before us. However I think Calvin Johnson has become the more attractive player to trade up for, which is great news for the Bucs chances at getting Thomas. Regardless this is good news because yesterday Joe Thomas had a 0% chance of slipping to #4.

#1 : March 01, 2007, 11:11:59 PM

I thought you meant Yanks @ Rays.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 01, 2007, 11:13:58 PM

Good points.

The Raiders have the worst line in the NFL though.

Maybe JT lands as a  Raider.  I fail to see why so many people fail to see this as a possibility.  JT had a freaky combine, and his play speaks for itself combine not withstanding.

Who knows, is my point.

#3 : March 01, 2007, 11:14:43 PM

and he's cheaper than taking a qb.

kennard19

Starter
#4 : March 01, 2007, 11:15:18 PM

I'm not to sure about JT. I would rather have CJ. I guess anyone can be a hit or miss. Lineman just scare me. Look at R. Gallery.(sp?)

kennard19

Starter
#5 : March 01, 2007, 11:17:24 PM

and didn't JT have a bad leg injury already?

gone

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 01, 2007, 11:17:37 PM

you have 2 of the most schizophrenic GM's picking beofre us, and never count number 3 (Snyder) out of a trade-up.  Not to mention thestandard possibilities of any team trading up.  This one goes down to the wire.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#7 : March 01, 2007, 11:17:45 PM

I'm going to be 100% honest, I've never watched Joe Thomas play once. I'm not going to listen to all these scouting websites. I just was wondering if we have any fans around that can testify that he is the real deal. I mean at the 4th selection in the draft, I expect "Left Tackle of Destiny". Actually, I see the growing possibility of the Buccaneers getting this kid and I wanted to grow into his hype like many have.

#8 : March 01, 2007, 11:19:26 PM

I'm going to be 100% honest, I've never watched Joe Thomas play once. I'm not going to listen to all these scouting websites. I just was wondering if we have any fans around that can testify that he is the real deal. I mean at the 4th selection in the draft, I expect "Left Tackle of Destiny". Actually, I see the growing possibility of the Buccaneers getting this kid and I wanted to grow into his hype like many have.

Joe Thomas will be a top 5 LT in the NFL for a decade.  His footwork and technique is amazing for a 311lb man.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#9 : March 01, 2007, 11:19:36 PM

The biggest worry now is a team like Arizona trading up to get Thomas ahead of the Bucs. I don't know what they have to give up, but I'm willing to bet that they'll give up alot to get that Franchise LOT. That offense will look like the Colts once they get a tackle to shore up the line.

You can do it for all positions. Look at Williams, Rogers, and so forth. All I know is I've now seen alot of the games of these two players and I like seeing opposing DE's disappear better than highlight reel catches.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 01, 2007, 11:20:11 PM

He has the potential.

But so did Rob Gallery.

With ALL picks, it is hit or miss.  You never know man...

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#11 : March 01, 2007, 11:21:35 PM

Joe Thomas will be a top 5 LT in the NFL for a decade. His footwork and technique is amazing for a 311lb man.

Pancakes... Oh glorious Pancakes!!!

#12 : March 01, 2007, 11:29:00 PM

Personally, I lived in Illinois in the fall and saw all Big 10 football. I watched a lot of Joe Thomas. He is a monster. He has very good feet, but his strength is his power. He is a great run blocker, he would routinely pancake LBs tthen move on to the second level and crush a DB and still be moving looking for someone else. He takes this mentality into every play. Not only that, but Wisconsin would line him up to play LT, RT, and TE on the right side. He may have even played some interior OL. Not in different games either, the coach would substitue him into different positions in differnet packages throughout the same game. He can pull left and right and open up huge lanes on the outside. In fact, I think he is at his best when he is pulling. It gives him a chance to use his athleticism and get on the outside and block 2 or 3 guys. He is a good pass blocker, but not great. He has good feet, but not top notch. His power helps him a lot in pass protection also. He rarely ever got beat in pass pro.

Most impressive things I heard about him all year were how good a student he was, and the fact that people up in Wisonsin football all agree he is the best OL to ever play there. That includes Paul Gruber who played college ball at Wisconsin

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 01, 2007, 11:47:34 PM

Personally, I lived in Illinois in the fall and saw all Big 10 football. I watched a lot of Joe Thomas. He is a monster. He has very good feet, but his strength is his power. He is a great run blocker, he would routinely pancake LBs tthen move on to the second level and crush a DB and still be moving looking for someone else. He takes this mentality into every play. Not only that, but Wisconsin would line him up to play LT, RT, and TE on the right side. He may have even played some interior OL. Not in different games either, the coach would substitue him into different positions in differnet packages throughout the same game. He can pull left and right and open up huge lanes on the outside. In fact, I think he is at his best when he is pulling. It gives him a chance to use his athleticism and get on the outside and block 2 or 3 guys. He is a good pass blocker, but not great. He has good feet, but not top notch. His power helps him a lot in pass protection also. He rarely ever got beat in pass pro.

Most impressive things I heard about him all year were how good a student he was, and the fact that people up in Wisonsin football all agree he is the best OL to ever play there. That includes Paul Gruber who played college ball at Wisconsin

I really liked Paul Gruber, one of my favorites of all time to wear the creamsicles. So if this guy has praise beyond Paul, he must be sharp. I think the biggest thing is that, in this division, with players like Julius Peppers, it is a serious mistake to not have a solid offensive tackle.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#14 : March 02, 2007, 12:39:43 AM

Good thing he doesn't have to face Peppers then.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~Today is going great for TB~~~~~ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools