Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yahoo: Morris remains focused on season finale, not job « previous next »
Page: 1 2

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: December 28, 2009, 05:57:29 PM

TAMPA, Fla. (AP)—Amid speculation his job could be in jeopardy after just one season, Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris insists his focus remains on trying to finish with a three-game winning streak.

The Bucs (3-12) rallied from a 17-point deficit to beat the New Orleans Saints 20-17 in overtime Sunday. However, the surprising victory did little to dispel the notion that team ownership is considering another change.

The 33-year-old Morris became the youngest coach in the NFL last January, replacing Jon Gruden after Tampa Bay ended 2008 with four consecutive losses to miss the playoffs following a 9-3 start.

The Glazer family has not made any public statements on the status of Morris, nor have team officials commented on reports the Bucs are trying to gauge whether former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher might be interested in the job.

“The assurance they gave to me is I’ve got to do my job tomorrow. When you’re put in a position to coach a football team, you coach it. That’s what you do until they tell you to stop. That’s what I’m going to do now.”

The Bucs close the season at home Sunday against NFC South rival Atlanta. Morris reiterated he plans to put all his energy into preparing for the Falcons, not worrying about whether he’ll be back.

“This game is not for everybody. Not for the mentally weak, it’s not for the soft, it’s not for everybody,” Morris said. “For me it’s about production, going on the field and progressing. All the other stuff is gray matter. That’s just messes you up for next week.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bucs-morris&prov=ap&type=lgns

I think Raheem is going to have to blow out the Falcons if he wants any chance of saving his job.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 28, 2009, 06:03:38 PM

I think the Glazers will crap can Raheem.  For good reason of course.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 28, 2009, 06:04:48 PM

If the Glazers already made up their minds and if Cowher has already "accepted" the job, then even a 59-0 win over the Falcons wouldn't do Morris any good accept maybe getting him a job elsewhere as a Defensive Coordinator.

I would love to have Cowher as head coach.  Do I think it would be fair if Morris gets fired after one season and obvious improvement the last 8 weeks?  No, I don't.  However, I do think Cowher would improve our chances at the ultimate goal and "LIFE ISN'T FAIR."  Morris made some good money this year and I am not feeling sorry for anyone.  If you don't think Cowher gives the Bucs a better chance to win a Super Bowl then Morris, then you are delusional.

With that being said, I am warming up to Morris.  Go figure, you win football games and you will gain fains...

bucsense

Practice Squad

#3 : December 28, 2009, 06:06:11 PM

Win or lose against the Falcons, I suspect he keeps his job. If not, the Glazers must move fast and get their people in house....and ready to roll.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 28, 2009, 06:10:24 PM

If their is smoke their is fire.  Obviously, the Glazers have made it known through some avenue that they are willing to listen to Cowher...and if so, then Raheem is as good as gone. raheem does not impress me.  Cowher does.  I miss my Sundays, feeling the anticipation of the game...all gone. 

Raheem is not ready.  He will ned years to get a proper gameplan set.  This win V. New Orleans has people on Fantasy Island.  This team has not been good this year.  Ending on a positive note is nice, but there are too many things that have happened for me to forgive a 3 win season...

bucsense

Practice Squad

#5 : December 28, 2009, 06:13:57 PM

We had 2 seperate smoke screens with Parcells..one with Favre..one with Haynesworth...one with Cutler.....

But....no fire!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 28, 2009, 06:17:22 PM

We had 2 seperate smoke screens with Parcells..one with Favre..one with Haynesworth...one with Cutler.....

But....no fire!
Point being that the BUcs have made it clear they are not satisfied with Raheem.  Nor am I.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 28, 2009, 06:24:33 PM

Lot of speculationg here, but just think about this for a second...

The rumor is that Cowher has started to make calls to put a staff together, according to ESPN. That's why Mortensen's sources claims Cowher will coach again in 2010.

We know its not Carolina as the ownership has offered Fox another year. The Rams wont make a change yet. Detroit won't make a change yet. There is no way he goes to Cleveland now that Holmgren is there (two completely different philosophies). Shanahan is going to the Redskins. Indications are that Lovie may be safe for one more year in Chicago (they dont want to spend money anyway). The Bills cant be it because they are still making phone calls and conducting interviews. Cowboys are out as they are playoff-bound.

So there isnt a whole lot of teams left unless there will be some surprise vacancy out there....which is possible.

bucsense

Practice Squad

#8 : December 28, 2009, 06:29:00 PM

Lot of speculationg here, but just think about this for a second...

The rumor is that Cowher has started to make calls to put a staff together, according to ESPN. That's why Mortensen's sources claims Cowher will coach again in 2010.

We know its not Carolina as the ownership has offered Fox another year. The Rams wont make a change yet. Detroit won't make a change yet. There is no way he goes to Cleveland now that Holmgren is there (two completely different philosophies). Shanahan is going to the Redskins. Indications are that Lovie may be safe for one more year in Chicago (they dont want to spend money anyway). The Bills cant be it because they are still making phone calls and conducting interviews. Cowboys are out as they are playoff-bound.

So there isnt a whole lot of teams left unless there will be some surprise vacancy out there....which is possible.

All of the above can change in a matter of minutes.......

Vatican_Assassin

Pro Bowler

#9 : December 28, 2009, 06:33:23 PM

Excellent point Badabing, not too harsh, not too soft.

Mean D

Pro Bowler

#10 : December 28, 2009, 06:38:56 PM

"I don't think Bill Cowher makes those decisions, I think ownership does. I know I don't," Morris said Monday. "I don't worry about it. I enjoy SportsCenter. I kind of miss the old SportsCenter, though, where you could become attached to a team or a player because of the positive stories out there. I choose to ignore some of the gossip out there. I left that stuff with Jerry Springer back in the day."

(I'm not even sure what that means. Especially since it wasn't a ESPN report.  But I also miss the Sportscenter that showed, you know, sports highlights.  That was fun.)

From profootballtalk.com.  Outside of Tampa EVERYONE with football knowledge thinks this guy is a buffoon.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 28, 2009, 06:50:45 PM

I kind of miss the old SportsCenter, though, where you could become attached to a team or a player because of the positive stories out there.

There are plenty of positive stories on ESPN.   Just not related to Raheem and the Bucs because they are putrid.

SanDiegoBucs

Rookie
#12 : December 28, 2009, 06:53:31 PM

But....no fire!

I would consider Jared Allen a smoke screen as well... although, I don't think we had the picks for that trade. I could be wrong...

s0uthFLbucfan

Starter

#13 : December 28, 2009, 07:35:28 PM

I think if we go out and smoke the falcons to close the season, it would mean alot. It would show that the players are willing to play hard for Rah, which i know doesnt always translate into wins, but having a coach that players want to play for is a big part of winning. I know the fan base is impatient, and i dont blame them, but Rah looks like he can turn it around. Why not give him one more year?

"We're going to be d--- good,"-
Kellen Winslow II. Novemeber 15, 2009

burger40

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 29, 2009, 04:43:55 AM

i hope we keep rah and i really don't want to see us go to a 3-4 as it means more roster turmoil and a guy like Geno would be tough to play as an OLB since he's already undersized as a wil 4-3 backer but makes up for it with intensity, speed, athleticism, instincts, etc.

if we do can raheem and grab Cowher then we better do it ASAP and not bungle it.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yahoo: Morris remains focused on season finale, not job « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools