Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tiki to retire after season??? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

#15 : October 19, 2006, 08:18:14 AM

Cutting loose to early IMO. He's still got gas in the tank, and is still very talented.

That doesn't matter if your heart isn't in it anymore.

#16 : October 19, 2006, 08:19:39 AM

I never really put the words Tiki Barber and Hall of Fame in the same sentence before. But now after reading it, I'll have to take a long look at his stats.

No ring, NO WAY!!!  imo of course.

BucsNBullsBaby

Second String

#17 : October 19, 2006, 10:31:32 AM

I remember lots of retired players talking about the mind-set of retiring.  Once you start thinking about it, you oughta do it.  You're attitude starts to work against you: thinking about injuries, taking hits, no longer having the drive to play at the top of your game, etc.  Verbalizing it as he's done shows he IS done. 

coopsxx

Starter
#18 : October 19, 2006, 01:03:09 PM

TIKI MAKING A MONEY GRAB?

The initial reaction in some league circles to the stated intentions of Giants running back Tiki Barber to retire after the 2006 season is that Barber is trying to get the team to rip up his contract and give him a new deal with a huge signing bonus.

We're not saying that we believe it -- but others definitely do.

Barber is represented by agent Eric Metz, and one league insider tells us that "Metz has been complaining about Barber's contract for months."

Barber currently is signed through 2008.  His salary is $4.15 million in 2006, and $4.15 million in 2007 and 2008.

He signed his most recent deal in 2005, which paid him a $1.65 million signing bonus and increased his base pay from $4.25 million to a guaranteed $6 million.

Barber's twin brother, Ronde, inked during training camp a contract extension with the Buccaneers.  He received $6 million to sign and will earn another $6 million in March 2007.

Despite Tiki's solid performances over the years, which included an MVP-caliber 2,390 yards from scrimmage in 2005, he's never gotten a really big payday.  And if the speculation that he's trying to get the Giants to cough one up now is accurate, he's in a no-lose situation.

If they pay him, he'll still play.  If they won't, he'll transition to something else.

If he leaves, he'll might be required to pay back roughly $800,000 to the Giants, assuming that his contract contains forfeiture language in the event of early retirement.  But that won't be a very painful check to write for a guy who might soon be able to write his own check in the world of television. 

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#19 : October 19, 2006, 02:56:14 PM

if true, I agree with it.  Either pay MVP like money [which he as been for a couple years now] or go ahead and move on to something your heart is calling you to do.  The right thing would be for NY to offer him the contract, and then if he still chooses to retire, then so be it.

#20 : October 19, 2006, 03:15:11 PM

No ring, NO WAY!!!  imo of course.

I agree that he's short of the HOF right now.  Impressive stats, though, with (by years end, probably): 10000 rush yards and 5000 recpt yards.  He's great.

TBayJJ

Second String

#21 : October 19, 2006, 03:22:25 PM

You would think that Ronde would follow.

coopsxx

Starter
#22 : October 19, 2006, 05:09:56 PM

if true, I agree with it.  Either pay MVP like money [which he as been for a couple years now] or go ahead and move on to something your heart is calling you to do.  The right thing would be for NY to offer him the contract, and then if he still chooses to retire, then so be it.

i disagree, just like i did for paying, alexander ot ronde his money, although it was not a bad deal. Just because someone has been good don't mean they are gonna be for the tenure of the new contract.

contrcts are not LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT awards.

rocketspeed

Practice Squad

#23 : October 19, 2006, 08:48:08 PM

I love Tiki, used to wish to see him in a BUC uniform to be alongside his brother. Tiki's always been one of my fav Running Backs he's awesome!

He'll be missed.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#24 : October 19, 2006, 10:12:04 PM

How great would Sun or Mon nite football with the brothers Barber in the booth? ;D
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tiki to retire after season??? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools