Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why keep Olson? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

#30 : January 07, 2010, 09:38:59 AM

I'd guess that the offense(s) we saw this year was/were not entirely Olsons.

I'd also guess that whatever offense (or portion of) that was installed this year was limited and modified significantly due to the QB carousel and various talent levels/strengths and weaknesses.

I do not think what we saw in the last four games is what we can expect to see next year from him.

Bottom line - It appears that Coach Olson is Coach Morris' choice.   Olson needs to fix his position coach problems (guys that came with Jagz) and get this offense in a rhythm this off season.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#31 : January 07, 2010, 09:45:44 AM

I would to think that Olson would install his own offense with an entire offseason at hand. Isn't it obvious that he went with the limited collection of plays from Jags 'playbook' and the familiarity of plays from Grudens system dependent upon who was starting? Playcalling aside, I think Oslon will build the offensive scheme to fit our young QB and our collection of RBs. One things for sure, he and Morris must decide what type of rushing team we're going to be, downhill power or shifty zone. One or the other and lets move forward.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 07, 2010, 10:49:35 AM

Olson doesn't have his own offense as he is known as a scavenger.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 07, 2010, 10:48:09 AM

I absolutely hate how people can use the "continuity" excuse after a 3-13 season.

Like we REALLY should continue this?? Didn't it suck enough??

Please Sir, may I have another......

^This is you.

David4ROTY

Starter

#34 : January 07, 2010, 11:42:26 AM

If you watched his first presser when he was promoted to OC, he said it will be tough as heck to get the offense rolling.  He basically had to use what jagz used during the offseason/preseason, and try to build off of that due to changing the entire offensive scheme in week one, would be to hard on the team.

Face it...This is how it is.

Morris is married to Freeman.  Freeman in married to Olson.

He did have some questionable calls, but everyone does.  Hey, he finally figured out the QB Sneak, so maybe he found his way.  Give him the next year, with a full offseason to implement his offense and see where we go.  If all fails, guess what?  We will end up firing our entire coaching staff, and if Cowher really does sit out this year, then next year, Cowher and his "Team" of staff members, will invade Tampa.  Problem solved

#35 : January 07, 2010, 02:27:35 PM

Continuity.

Between Quarterback and Quarterback Coach.

Continuity.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 07, 2010, 02:33:12 PM

There is no continuity.

#37 : January 07, 2010, 02:40:59 PM

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#38 : January 07, 2010, 02:50:53 PM

I've always argued for Olson even though I wouldnt care if he was replaced. Continuity is extremely important for a young QB, its 1A and 1B with protection. Lets see what he can do running his own system and not a terrible combination of what got the last 2 guys fired.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 07, 2010, 02:52:58 PM

If Olson installs his offense (even assuming he has one) there will not be any continuity for Josh Freeman.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#40 : January 07, 2010, 04:25:31 PM

If Olson installs his offense (even assuming he has one) there will not be any continuity for Josh Freeman.

i think disrupting a QB but bringing in top tier OC trumps sticking with a guy who's had  wildly varying results in his career for the sake of continuity.  that being said, Olson at least knows where Freeman is coming from, what he's grasping and what he struggled with, and would be teaching new things using the same method.

i don't think it's a dealbreaker, and as GM or HC i'd be pretty fearless about making a change right now unless i truly believed olson was the right guy for the next 5 years...might as well take your medicine now, before you're expected to really compete with the big teams.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 08, 2010, 03:42:55 AM

That "continuity" you guys talk so much about only works with GOOD actually experianced HC's and OC's and a system that doesn't fight their own players talents.  ::)

Three wins out of sixteen does absolutely nothing for me. Nothing. It doesn't show "improvement" at all. Might as well have gone 0-16. At least we know we'd have a first, first rounder.. But they can't even get that right. Fact is, neither Raheem or Olson should be coaching JF. Rah didn't even coach him in college, so I really don't see the "connection", other than he was AT the same college. He should have a experienced HC/OC to help him grow.

Right now JF's record is not much better than the guy Rah traded off at the first of the season... that's not saying much. If that's how Freeman plays, why did we ever let Luke go, because there is no way BL should have gotten the nod, besides money issues or stupidity. At the moment, we have one uneducated person, trying to educate another uneducated person at One Buc. That will never work. Someone has to come in with an inkling of football knowledge, or we fail yet again.

Maybe you "Radio" lovers don't understand what "bad" is? How bad does a HC have to be around here to warrant ill feelings? You didn't waste enough money yet? If you "go to games" but really it's just to get drunk and be able to say you went, you still aren't a true fan. True fans don't like 3-13 records. I understand the supposed "connection" between the two, but for god's sake, understand that Rah is NOT the guy to "groom" him. He doesn't have the experience to do so, and I fully doubt he has the right supporting cast either. When Rah and Olson have more time together and more games under Rahs belt, sure, maybe they'll be great, but it won't be next season or anytime soon as long as they are in charge.

When we go 3-13 with next seasons schedule, are you still going to be gaga over those guys? Doubtful. 

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#42 : January 08, 2010, 04:00:08 AM

There is continuity with the guy who is teaching him. The X's and O's will come easy for Freeman but having the same guy from year 1 to year 2 for him is going to be huge.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why keep Olson? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools