Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: According to LaConfora...the Glazers were lowballing Cowher « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 05, 2010, 02:03:06 PM

None of this is surprising at all.

Which, that according to unconfirmed reports the Bucs offered to make him the highest paid coach in the league or that Cowher lied?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 05, 2010, 02:04:39 PM

"Concerns about how much the team would be able to spend on payers" Looks like another year on the bottom of the payroll scale.
I understand from a friend in Europe that the Glazers are pushing hard to sell Manchester United. Lets all hope it happens sooner rather then later.

I could care less what they do with ManU, they need to sell the damn Bucs already to an owner who cares.

I think his logic is, if they sell Man U, they'll use the money to reinvest into the Bucs.

Even assuming that possibility it can't happen over night.

#32 : January 05, 2010, 02:07:16 PM

"...a source with knowledge of the situation..."

That is an agent.  1 agent.  Using La Canfora to upmarket his guy.

Who reports with only one source? 

Please.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 05, 2010, 02:08:00 PM

One source is often enough given there is smoke.

MagicMike

Starter

#34 : January 05, 2010, 02:09:50 PM

Honestly, I don't understand how they can afford to NOT hire Cowher? Anyone who attended last Sunday's game saw that there were 20,000 to 30,000 empty seats. What's going to happen next season unless there is a coaching change? The ticket sales is one thing, but think about the conversations that the Bucs PR/Marketing department are about to have with their Pewter Partners regarding sponsorships for the 2010 season. What sponsors want to market their products to stadiums that are only 2/3 full, and without local television audiences if the games are blacked out?

I think the Glazers and Cowher are playing poker, and Cowher holds all of the cards. There are no other candidates that the Glazers could bring in to fill seats. Other teams can leverage Jon Gruden as a potential coach. We don't have that luxury. Other teams can go with a young assistant coach like Jason Garrett, Sean McDermott, Kyle Shanahan, etc. We tried that with Morris. The only thing that's going to appease the fans at this point is Bill Cowher. The Glazers are too smart not to believe that, so right now, it's all just posturing.

#35 : January 05, 2010, 02:10:06 PM

Ok... but you know its an agent.   That is a used car salesman.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 05, 2010, 02:10:17 PM

"...a source with knowledge of the situation..."

That is an agent.  1 agent.  Using La Canfora to upmarket his guy.

Who reports with only one source?  

Please.

And surely Cowher's agent would offer a very balanced and non-self-serving report on the circumstances. Perhaps no team is interested in paying $10 million or more?

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 05, 2010, 02:10:25 PM

I get the feeling that this will be another one of those things attributed to a random unknown source, not corroborated by any other sources, will never be really confirmed, but people on this board will quote for 1-2-3 years as fact.

Of course. Other sources say the contact with Cowher was preliminary, and no hard numbers were discussed. Besides, $6 million a season would mean he'd be the highest paid coach in the NFL. The top 4 paid coaches:

#1 Lovie Smith
#2 Jeff Fisher
#3 Tom Coughlin
#4 Bill Belichick

$6 million per year would be more than all of them. So if a $6 million offer was made, its hardly a "lowball" offer to make a guy the highest paid man in his profession.

Report is that Snyder is paying 10 million a year for Shanahan.

So that changes the market significantly.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 05, 2010, 02:11:08 PM

I think the Glazers and Cowher are playing poker, and Cowher holds all of the cards.

I don't, because I don't even believe they made Cowher an offer.

biffbeaumont

Starter

#39 : January 05, 2010, 02:11:36 PM

Honestly, I don't understand how they can afford to NOT hire Cowher? Anyone who attended last Sunday's game saw that there were 20,000 to 30,000 empty seats. What's going to happen next season unless there is a coaching change? The ticket sales is one thing, but think about the conversations that the Bucs PR/Marketing department are about to have with their Pewter Partners regarding sponsorships for the 2010 season. What sponsors want to market their products to stadiums that are only 2/3 full, and without local television audiences if the games are blacked out?

I think the Glazers and Cowher are playing poker, and Cowher holds all of the cards. There are no other candidates that the Glazers could bring in to fill seats. Other teams can leverage Jon Gruden as a potential coach. We don't have that luxury. Other teams can go with a young assistant coach like Jason Garrett, Sean McDermott, Kyle Shanahan, etc. We tried that with Morris. The only thing that's going to appease the fans at this point is Bill Cowher. The Glazers are too smart not to believe that, so right now, it's all just posturing.

We'll see.......here's our pitiful attendance record from this year. It can only get worse next year under Morris.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jan/05/bucs-home-attendance-drops-sharply-2009-season/

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 05, 2010, 02:12:38 PM

Maybe, but lets be honest?  If the Glazers know a lockout is coming and an uncapped year is a likely hood all they need to do is sit tight.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 05, 2010, 02:14:19 PM

I've been saying to you guys for over a year now...
Psh, I've been preaching this since 2008 and got flamed for it.

Not that I care about this story, since I knew Cowher wouldn't want to come to a small market anyway.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#42 : January 05, 2010, 02:15:14 PM

I've been saying to you guys for over a year now...
Psh, I've been preaching this since 2008 and got flamed for it.

Not that I care about this story, since I knew Cowher wouldn't want to come to a small market anyway.

Carolina isn't exactly a big market, but yeah this just confirms the obvious.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 05, 2010, 02:18:31 PM

Cowher to the Raiders!

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#44 : January 05, 2010, 02:20:10 PM

why...pittsburgh was a big market....or carolina.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: According to LaConfora...the Glazers were lowballing Cowher « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools