Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bruce Arians for OC anybody? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

TBbuccaneer40

Pro Bowler

: January 05, 2010, 02:56:47 PM

Report: Bruce Arians will be fired in Pittsburgh

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 5, 2010 2:47 PM ET
The makeover in Pittsburgh is reportedly underway.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will be let go "in the near future," according to Ken Laird of 1250 ESPN in Pittsburgh. 

The Steelers have not confirmed the move, and Mike Tomlin didn't mention the change at his end of his season press conference.

Arians was criticized for not building a consistent running attack in Pittsburgh, but the passing game was among the league's best.  Somehow, we doubt Arians would have been criticized as much if the Pittsburgh defense didn't give up 101 more points in 2009 than 2008.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 05, 2010, 02:57:35 PM

Bucs have an OC and I don't see them replacing him.

doclobster

Practice Squad

#2 : January 05, 2010, 03:07:06 PM

Not to mention, if Tomlin is using him as a scapegoat, Morris would not be the one to give him his next job.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#3 : January 05, 2010, 03:09:12 PM

I like the Steelers offense. They make running the ball a priority and they take shots down the field. With Rothlisberger and Freeman being very similar QBs I think it would be great to get him.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 05, 2010, 03:09:30 PM

Wow that is suprising to me, I thought he was doing a good job there.

Somebody's head has to roll.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#5 : January 05, 2010, 03:13:32 PM

That is correct. The Glazers made sure to sign Greg Olson to a one year deal so they won't have to worry about going out and giving another OC a mult-year contract in the offseason. They signed Doug Williams to a one year deal so they wouldn't have to worry about signing a qualified Director of Player Personnel to a multi-year deal. They even made sure to keep Raheem Morris and his six figure salary so they don't have to pay another head coach to a mult-year contract as Raheem's is esentially up at the end of the season. The Glazers will take the cheapest route they can possibly take in the offseason, just to make sure they are prepared for a possible lockout in 2011 by not having anyone under contract for that year.

I hope to hell we could get a guy like Bruce Arians at OC, but that wouldn't be realistic thinking on my part.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 05, 2010, 03:15:06 PM

I hope to hell we could get a guy like Bruce Arians, but that wouldn't be realistic thinking on my part.

But he sucks, he just got fired... right?

bucs1

Practice Squad
#7 : January 05, 2010, 03:18:34 PM

I hope to hell we could get a guy like Bruce Arians, but that wouldn't be realistic thinking on my part.

I held him in high regard as an offensive coordinator. Just because he was fired certainly does mean he sucks.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 05, 2010, 03:19:40 PM

I held him in high regard as an offensive coordinator. Just because he was fired certainly does mean he sucks.

But isn't that the prevailing wisdom among casual fans? Silly, but quite common.

white dragon

Practice Squad

#9 : January 05, 2010, 03:21:00 PM

correctamondo

bucs1

Practice Squad
#10 : January 05, 2010, 03:27:51 PM

But isn't that the prevailing wisdom among casual fans? Silly, but quite common.

Yes, unfortunately that's the way that a lot of people think. You can make the arguement that guys like Mike Shanahan and Jon Gruden were also fired, but they don't suck.

Ft. Myers Buc Fan

Practice Squad

#11 : January 05, 2010, 03:28:21 PM

A more realistic option is to look at Tim Krumrie who was fired by KC as a D-Line Coach.  Didnt work out at KC with them but is still highly regarded as a good hard nosed DL coach

MagicMike

Starter

#12 : January 05, 2010, 03:30:04 PM

I'd prefer him or Chan Gailey over Olson.  

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 05, 2010, 03:30:28 PM

That is correct. The Glazers made sure to sign Greg Olson to a one year deal so they won't have to worry about going out and giving another OC a mult-year contract in the offseason. They signed Doug Williams to a one year deal so they wouldn't have to worry about signing a qualified Director of Player Personnel to a multi-year deal. They even made sure to keep Raheem Morris and his six figure salary so they don't have to pay another head coach to a mult-year contract as Raheem's is esentially up at the end of the season. The Glazers will take the cheapest route they can possibly take in the offseason, just to make sure they are prepared for a possible lockout in 2011 by not having anyone under contract for that year.

I hope to hell we could get a guy like Bruce Arians at OC, but that wouldn't be realistic thinking on my part.
Bang up post right here.  

The Glazers...we buy cheap players, we buy cheap coaches.  We spend the least.  Get Yo Coupons Ready!

TBbuccaneer40

Pro Bowler

#14 : January 05, 2010, 03:35:44 PM

What WOULD be bad azz is if we were to sign him as our QB coach. He and Free would be a perfect fit since he is a Big Ben type Quarterback. But I'm sure if he does get fired he would be a HOT commodity to be another teams OC, he wouldn't take a job anything less than OC.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bruce Arians for OC anybody? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools