Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A question for Christians « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

: January 06, 2010, 11:21:56 AM

I know for a fact that there are intelligent Christians here more than capable of holding up their end in a debate. But like everyone else, they must get tired of wading through the crap.

#1 : January 06, 2010, 10:46:37 AM

Assuming you believe that there is only one true god and he is the Christian god, why do you think that so many other cultures throughout history have found it necessary to invent a god, or gods, of their own?

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 06, 2010, 10:55:22 AM

http://friendlyatheist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/gods-we-dont-believe-in.jpg

#3 : January 06, 2010, 10:59:15 AM

Let's try, for once, to keep the discussion civil and relevant.

bucsense

Practice Squad

#4 : January 06, 2010, 11:11:44 AM

Simple question spark, but I don't sense any creditable response...

bucsense

Practice Squad

#5 : January 06, 2010, 11:29:52 AM

Crap being us that don't care what they say....

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 06, 2010, 11:30:26 AM

Assuming you believe there is only one true pizza, and it is a NY style pizza, why do you think so many other cultures throughout history have found it necessary to invent a pizza, or pizzas, of their own?

Answer this and you will answered your original question.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 06, 2010, 11:34:53 AM

I was going to wait and not interject since you asked for Christians to respond but that's pretty much gone to hell ..... If/when one does respond, I would think one line of reasoning would be blaming it on the Devil, steering people away from the one true way ....

#8 : January 06, 2010, 11:38:30 AM

Other cultures did not invent a pizza of their own, they modified an existing recipe to their own taste. I'm finding it difficult to relate this analogy in any meaningful way to the subject at hand.

#9 : January 06, 2010, 11:41:59 AM

I was going to wait and not interject since you asked for Christians to respond but that's pretty much gone to hell ..... If/when one does respond, I would think one line of reasoning would be blaming it on the Devil, steering people away from the one true way ....

Many, many, cultures were inventing gods before Christianity came along. Unless the Devil was acting preemptively, why would he bother influencing cultures that will have come and gone before the time of Jesus?

bucsense

Practice Squad

#10 : January 06, 2010, 11:42:44 AM

Assuming you believe there is only one true pizza, and it is a NY style pizza, why do you think so many other cultures throughout history have found it necessary to invent a pizza, or pizzas, of their own?

Answer this and you will answered your original question.

Hold on there.......the messiah had 1 pizza in the beginning........cut it up and passed the pieces around, each piece turned into another whole pizza with a different twist with an new name....and so it began. Columbus brought some pizza over and poisoned the natives.........thank goodness for evolution......now we have excellent pizza.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 06, 2010, 11:47:33 AM

Other cultures did not invent a pizza of their own, they modified an existing recipe to their own taste. I'm finding it difficult to relate this analogy in any meaningful way to the subject at hand.
You can't relate because now you're hungry.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 06, 2010, 12:09:03 PM

Who cares?  Followers of religion are going to believe whatever garbage their leaders spew, regardless of logic, scientific findings or the beliefs of others. 

#13 : January 06, 2010, 12:14:01 PM

*sigh*

Screw it, I'm going to go get a pizza.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 06, 2010, 12:15:39 PM

Many, many, cultures were inventing gods before Christianity came along.

That's true, but Christianity is an offshoot of Judaism.  I don't think there are too many religions that predate Judaism, are there?

You do offer an interesting question, one that I have discussed in a few Philosophy and Theology courses.  I personally tend to side with St. Augustine's theory of man having a "god-shaped hole" in his heart.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A question for Christians « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools