Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A question for Christians « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 06, 2010, 12:16:40 PM

*sigh*

Screw it, I'm going to go get a pizza.

Brought to you by Carl's JR.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

#16 : January 06, 2010, 12:31:56 PM

I was going to wait and not interject since you asked for Christians to respond but that's pretty much gone to hell ..... If/when one does respond, I would think one line of reasoning would be blaming it on the Devil, steering people away from the one true way ....

Many, many, cultures were inventing gods before Christianity came along.

That's true, but Christianity is an offshoot of Judaism.  I don't think there are too many religions that predate Judaism, are there?

You do offer an interesting question, one that I have discussed in a few Philosophy and Theology courses.  I personally tend to side with St. Augustine's theory of man having a "god-shaped hole" in his heart.

Wasn't Judaism refined from Kaballah? Not to mention the thousands of pagan religions, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. Man has been inventing gods since the first caveman looked up into the sky and created his own explanation. Interestingly, some of the earlier religions focused around goddesses as the main deity. If man does have a "god-shaped hole" in his heart, the shape of that hole seems to vary tremendously from culture to culture.

bucsense

Practice Squad

#17 : January 06, 2010, 12:35:52 PM

I was going to wait and not interject since you asked for Christians to respond but that's pretty much gone to hell ..... If/when one does respond, I would think one line of reasoning would be blaming it on the Devil, steering people away from the one true way ....

That's true, but Christianity is an offshoot of Judaism.  I don't think there are too many religions that predate Judaism, are there?

You do offer an interesting question, one that I have discussed in a few Philosophy and Theology courses.  I personally tend to side with St. Augustine's theory of man having a "god-shaped hole" in his heart.

What shape does god have?

#18 : January 06, 2010, 12:40:43 PM

Lol. The ad banner at the top of the page now wants me to meet Christian singles in my city.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 06, 2010, 12:42:21 PM

What does god taste like?

bucsense

Practice Squad

#20 : January 06, 2010, 12:48:43 PM

Lol. The ad banner at the top of the page now wants me to meet Christian singles in my city.

Might be worth a look........depending on how little you seek in life.....

#21 : January 06, 2010, 12:51:53 PM

Never mind, it now wants me to pilgrimage to the holy land. I just can't see that going well.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 06, 2010, 01:00:13 PM

Wasn't Judaism refined from Kaballah?

I thought it was the other way around.  I guess it would depend on your viewpoint and what "religion" you would consider the first believers in the Hebrew God.

Not to mention the thousands of pagan religions, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. Man has been inventing gods since the first caveman looked up into the sky and created his own explanation. Interestingly, some of the earlier religions focused around goddesses as the main deity. If man does have a "god-shaped hole" in his heart, the shape of that hole seems to vary tremendously from culture to culture.

It's definitely an interesting subject, but can you come to one conclusion from the differing cultures having differing beliefs?  Are they all wrong, all right, or only one right?  I think we can rule out all being right because of the extreme differences, but I'm not sure I can definitively rule out the other two options.  I know what I believe, but that obviously can't be proven.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 06, 2010, 02:01:30 PM

That's true, but Christianity is an offshoot of Judaism.  I don't think there are too many religions that predate Judaism, are there?

You do offer an interesting question, one that I have discussed in a few Philosophy and Theology courses.  I personally tend to side with St. Augustine's theory of man having a "god-shaped hole" in his heart.

At least you're not in agreement with Boethius.

"God has to exist because he's omnipotent and infinitely powerful.  Duh."

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 06, 2010, 02:58:05 PM

Assuming you believe that there is only one true god and he is the Christian god, why do you think that so many other cultures throughout history have found it necessary to invent a god, or gods, of their own?

Zoroastrianism embraces the monotheistic beliefs, but in a slightly different direction. 

Judaism, Islam and Christianity all believe in the same, one God but simply disagree on the message from the same, one God ultimately.  It could be argued the biggest reason why many people embraced the monotheistic Abrahamic traditions was because they all were referencing the same, one God that Zoroastrianism was founded upon.   There is a significant correlation with the rise of monotheistic beliefs and the decline of polytheism.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 06, 2010, 04:21:42 PM

Assuming you believe that there is only one true god and he is the Christian god, why do you think that so many other cultures throughout history have found it necessary to invent a god, or gods, of their own?

Zoroastrianism embraces the monotheistic beliefs, but in a slightly different direction.�

Judaism, Islam and Christianity all believe in the same, one God but simply disagree on the message from the same, one God ultimately.� It could be argued the biggest reason why many people embraced the monotheistic Abrahamic traditions was because they all were referencing the same, one God that Zoroastrianism was founded upon.� �There is a significant correlation with the rise of monotheistic beliefs and the decline of polytheism.

Christianity claims to be monotheistic, despite God referencing the presence of other deities (though, He could've just been sarcastically saying, "You see that piece of crap golden alligator in the palace garden?  You won't have him, or ANY OTHER piece of crap 'god' before Me).  And if I'm not thinking of something else (it's been a while since I blew the dust off my Bible) He says "We" a lot during the creation story, as well.

There's also the issue with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  And the Virgin Mary, who comes in a distant but convincing #2 in the prayer department.  And the 149001577138184907853 saints that the religion employs.

In Christianity, there may be one dude with a throne atop His personal Mt. Olympus, but he sure has a lot of important folks up there with him.  The argument could seriously be made (and I'm sure it has been made) that Christianity is really polytheistic.

#26 : January 06, 2010, 04:24:08 PM

And the Virgin Mary, who comes in a distant but convincing #2 in the prayer department. 

And, ironically, the most commonly worshiped idol.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 06, 2010, 04:24:57 PM

And the Virgin Mary, who comes in a distant but convincing #2 in the prayer department.�

O_O

Really?  If true, that's the definition of irony.

#28 : January 06, 2010, 04:28:46 PM

Hell (pun intended), people place her image on their dashboards and appeal to it all the time, idolatry be damned.

And, of course, by image I mean whitebread image of a Jewish girl commonly found on Latino dashboards. Bam! Let's kick the irony up a notch.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#29 : January 06, 2010, 04:34:34 PM

And the Virgin Mary, who comes in a distant but convincing #2 in the prayer department.�

Yup.  I've never understood the Mary stuff.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A question for Christians « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools