Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A question for Christians « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

BucNative

Starter

#75 : January 09, 2010, 06:21:44 PM

Mans existence one name Darwin
stolen bible read this there is thousands of examples out there the similarity is amazing!!!
http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa1.htm

Am I the only one that found this completely unintelligable?   Anyway, I'm a born again Christian and I don't see why people are finding some sort of offense with Spark's question.  He's just asking a question, and as a Christian you should be able to answer graciously to the best of your understanding, without looking for some offensive motive behind the question or questioner.

Thomas

Starter

#76 : January 09, 2010, 10:41:17 PM

I love to debate/discuss religion.
But the simple answer for you spark...for the believers we have more than enough proof, and for the skeptic we'll never have enough.
In the gospels skeptics confronted Jesus many times. Even at his death they scoffed "others he saved but himself he cannot...and if he would just come down off that cross then we would believe in him. Another time they asked him for a sign - he told them the sky you can read but the sign of the times you cannot no sign will be given you etc etc...

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#77 : March 01, 2010, 07:22:13 PM

But the question I am asking here, Thomas, is not why do you believe in your religion, it is why do you think that other people believe in theirs?

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#78 : March 01, 2010, 09:54:37 PM

Great question Chuckles.  I personally believe that the majority of people believe in their religion due to the way they were programmed...or raised!  Most Muslims I know claim to be devout, but when questioned can hardly tell you anything the Quaran says; same with Christians.  About 90% of Muslims I know are great people who live normal lives; same as Christians.  There are extremists in ALL religions. 
I don't advocate religion, but a relationship!   

burger40

Hall of Famer

#79 : March 01, 2010, 10:03:19 PM

Because as the great C.S. Lewis says humans have a natural tendency to wonder about what is beyond the physical, what is beyond themselves, to wonder how everything came to be (I'm paraphrasing).

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#80 : March 01, 2010, 10:17:08 PM

What the two of you have just posted are very different answers. Guru is telling me that a relationship with 'the Creator' is what's important and fulfilling in itself. Burger seems to be saying that it provides answers to otherwise unresolved questions. Two very diversified roles for the same phenomenon.

burger40

Hall of Famer

#81 : March 02, 2010, 05:46:26 AM

Let's try, for once, to keep the discussion civil and relevant.

Being a christian myself, you messed that up with the way you asked the question ...

You directly are asking a question that tries to defy a Christians belief. So I can tell automatically you are one of those "I don't believe, and I'll try to make others not to believe also, because I'm smarter" people. You are the SAME as some of the Christians you dislike, if that's the case.

But to answer your question anyway. I believe it's because they also thought that they were being watched over by some type of god(s), spirit, or otherwise. They couldn't have known about the Christians beliefs, because they weren't around to know them. It was just a feeling they had. Probably like the one I feel about the world in general. If you really think about it, it is nearly impossible to find life outside of our Earth. They knew they had food (fruit & vegetables) out of the blue, if they just worked for it. They knew there was cattle and foul to be eaten, and could keep reproducing productively for foodstuffs. Something they had no control over. Water abundant enough that they could move just about anywhere if they wanted (besides cooler climates). And the sun beamed down light periodically from something they could not yet understand .

But, to even go farther, To sustain life, there HAS to be 100,000,000,000 different types of chemical reactions, and millions upon millions of interconnected chain reactions involving our outside surroundings. The sky, the positon of the sun, the ozone, all of which are signs that there are something more there, not just blind luck out of cosmic chaos. If I didn't believe in Christianity, I would probably be like UFOjoe, believing Aliens dropped us off and created the earth. This world is all to "situational" just to be some sort of lucky draw IMO. Even our own bodies are a blueprint of how intricate the world really is. To them, It HAD to be "something" else besides nothing. Even they knew that.
even richard dawkins the most avid atheist and one of the most well known admits he can't explain where everything came from. he calls it God in the gaps which is true to an extent. just because you can't explain something doesn't mean God did it. but a being outside the universe could explain how everything came to be, how something is here now when there used to be nothing, how a universe could ever start. we know it can't always have existed since that would violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

the very fact that we ponder these things is what has lead many people to create religion even in remote societies that have never been proselytized by any of the "main faiths."

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

burger40

Hall of Famer

#82 : March 02, 2010, 06:14:33 AM

What the two of you have just posted are very different answers. Guru is telling me that a relationship with 'the Creator' is what's important and fulfilling in itself. Burger seems to be saying that it provides answers to otherwise unresolved questions. Two very diversified roles for the same phenomenon.

my post is about why other cultures have come up with religions. guru's post seems to be more about his personal faith. we are talking about different things.

SON-OF-ZELL

Starter

#83 : March 02, 2010, 06:46:05 AM

Let's try, for once, to keep the discussion civil and relevant.

Good try....le'ts make one about abortion...ok I will

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#84 : March 02, 2010, 08:57:09 AM

my post is about why other cultures have come up with religions. guru's post seems to be more about his personal faith. we are talking about different things.

In fairness, Guru did say that it was about a relationship, not which religion provided that relationship. By the way, your 2nd law of thermodynamics argument is deeply flawed and not relevant.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#85 : March 02, 2010, 10:11:20 AM

To go a step further Chuckles, I had an encounter as well.  I literally tried everything else!  Religion, self-promotion, knowledge, etc.  In the end, at the most basic level, I found myself with no joy or purpose, worth speaking of anyway!  It wasn't until I "surrendered" to the belief that there is a God and he is control that I found those things.  I hear people say they were saved on such and such date.  I surrendered to the very belief that I once thought too impossible to believe.  It wasn't until then that I was able to truly understand what it means to have a relationship with God.  The problem is that it is so difficult to do; almost like passing a physical test that is so scary you aren't willing to do so.  Like walking off a cliff and not being able to see the invisible plank that will catch you from falling.  Taking that leap requires great faith and trust.
Religion however only requires you to do as it tells you to!  SO, this is why it is so engrained into our cultures. 

burger40

Hall of Famer

#86 : March 02, 2010, 06:04:31 PM

In fairness, Guru did say that it was about a relationship, not which religion provided that relationship. By the way, your 2nd law of thermodynamics argument is deeply flawed and not relevant.

actually my professor at my university was the one who explained it to me when we were learning about entropy. energy is constantly degrading when processes take place. the universe can't go on for forever because of entropy. eventually there won't be anything but black holes, dying stars/planets that are cooling rapidly as their internal energy stores have been depleted, those stars will start to collapse as well.

2nd law of thermodynamics is the reason many scientists have argued their had to be a "beginning" to the universe. i'm not saying that proves that it was God. what i'm saying is the universe can't always have been and you can try to refute that but it is true.

SON-OF-ZELL

Starter

#87 : March 02, 2010, 06:33:00 PM

If I didn't believe in Christianity, I would probably be like UFOjoe, believing Aliens dropped us off and created the earth.

I believe that? Really? Hmmm, that's news to me. Got a link or quote?

I don't know how we got here and neither does anybody else.

But we are here, and while we are here, let's treat all people with love and dignity, I could care less what you believe.....but if you want to we can argue about it, and maybe kill each other over it...

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#88 : March 02, 2010, 06:54:01 PM

If I didn't believe in Christianity, I would probably be like UFOjoe, believing Aliens dropped us off and created the earth.

I believe that? Really? Hmmm, that's news to me. Got a link or quote?

I don't know how we got here and neither does anybody else.

But we are here, and while we are here, let's treat all people with love and dignity, I could care less what you believe.....but if you want to we can argue about it, and maybe kill each other over it...

If I want? You're the one dredging up comments from January.
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A question for Christians « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools