Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: According to LaConfora...the Glazers were lowballing Cowher « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

burger40

Hall of Famer

#90 : January 05, 2010, 10:32:46 PM

i doubt cowher is worth a 8 or so million dollar deal, he'd have to blow up our front 7 completely and i'm not sure even guys like geno would survive as he really doesn't fit anywhere in a 3-4. He'd bring in a ton of expensive coaches who would pry be good but i'd rather get good asst coaches with teh money we could spend on cowher. It is ridiculous to throw that kind of money down if there is a possible lockout looming.

if cowher can't get buffalo to pony up either then maybe he's just full of himself and thinks he's worth more than he actually is.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

Booker

Hall of Famer

#91 : January 05, 2010, 10:35:18 PM

Unless Lebeau is coming with him, he isn't worth even close to what he supposedly wants.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#92 : January 05, 2010, 10:40:10 PM

John Galt,

You'd take the Giants?  Really.  They went 10-6...got hot at the right time and won the Super Bowl.  They then had a "one and done" playoff loss and then proceeded to go 8-8 this year.  I thought we fired our last coach for mediocry and not being able to win in the playoffs...

Has Washington been able to come close?? they are the big spenders, year after year.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#93 : January 05, 2010, 10:44:14 PM

G.D. you La Canfora! Just when things were starting to calm down you had to shove a stick into the hornet's nest.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#94 : January 06, 2010, 10:03:13 AM

John Galt, they're also already paying an NFL coach $6 mil.  cheap bastards are eating about $20 mil to give the fans what they asked for last year.

bucsense

Practice Squad

#95 : January 06, 2010, 10:17:33 AM

if cowher can't get buffalo to pony up either then maybe he's just full of himself and thinks he's worth more than he actually is.

That may be the best assessment of Cowher I've read. I'm fairly confident that he's "full of himself".

Ignohippo

Second String

#96 : January 06, 2010, 11:59:28 AM

Unless Lebeau is coming with him, he isn't worth even close to what he supposedly wants.

Yeah, you're right, Cowher has no idea how to coach defense – he sure was terrible as DC in KC, wasn't he. Pull your head out of your ass dude.
That's like saying Dungy isn't worth anything without Kiffin (both are defensive disciples of Schottenheimer in KC, by the way). Kiffin and LeBeau are incredible at what they do, but don't be fooled into thinking Dungy and Cowher wouldn't be successful without them.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#97 : January 06, 2010, 12:47:08 PM

Uh, that's a stretch with regard to Dungy being a "disciple" of Schotty. He coached defense for 7 years at Pittsburgh before becoming a db coach with the Chiefs.

Plus, his D has never really looked lot Schotty's, especially the coverage schemes (based on my recollection of those Chiefs teams).

I think your larger point on Cowher and Dungy is a good one though.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#98 : January 06, 2010, 03:56:32 PM

Yeah, you're right, Cowher has no idea how to coach defense � he sure was terrible as DC in KC, wasn't he. Pull your head out of your butt dude.
That's like saying Dungy isn't worth anything without Kiffin (both are defensive disciples of Schottenheimer in KC, by the way). Kiffin and LeBeau are incredible at what they do, but don't be fooled into thinking Dungy and Cowher wouldn't be successful without them.

dungy never had anything approaching the same success in developing defensive players in Indy that he did in Tampa, and i've made posts in multiple threads about cowher's results in lebeau's 2 stints with cowher vs the 7 years in between.  synopsis: lower winning percentage, playoffs 3 years out of 7 (vs 100% with lebeau), no superbowl appearances (2 with lebeau)...they were successful in many senses, but cowher's numbers sans lebeau (1997-2003) look like the numbers that got gruden fired (would've gotten him fired, too, if it were up to anyone but the Rooneys) and dungy's defenses ranked about as middle-of-the-road as gruden's offenses.

in short, the closest precedent we can find to the cowher we will get had put up numbers that got the last coach fired. and folks want the owners to pay $10 mil for that.  honestly, i'd rather see us commit $1.5 mil to the best OCQB Guru we can find and move on.
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: According to LaConfora...the Glazers were lowballing Cowher « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools