Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Leavitt out at USF... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
: January 08, 2010, 11:29:08 AM

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jan/08/081012/reports-leavitt-out-usf-head-coach/sports-colleges-bulls/

By SCOTT CARTER | The Tampa Tribune

Published: January 8, 2010

Updated: 10:12 am

Related Links

Alabama wins BCS title
Leavitt's coaching record
Poll: What do you think?
WR speaks out on allegations
More Bulls news
TAMPA - Jim Leavitt's tenure as the only football coach in University of South Florida history is reportedly over.

ESPN and other outlets are reporting that Leavitt has been told today by the school that he will not return.

Before answering any questions, Leavitt said he was on another line when reached by The Tampa Tribune this morning.

Leavitt had been the Bulls' coach since the program's inception in 1995.

USF concluded his 13th season as coach with an 8-5 season and a 27-3 victory over Northern Illinois in Saturday's International Bowl in Toronto.

Leavitt has been under investigation since Dec. 15 for an incident with sophomore walk-on Joel Miller. The alleged incident, in which Leavitt reportedly grabbed Miller by the throat and struck him twice in the face, happened Nov. 21 at halftime of the USF-Louisville game at Raymond James Stadium

USF is expected to release findings of the investigation into allegations later today.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 08, 2010, 11:52:50 AM

I don't know what to say. :(

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 08, 2010, 12:02:43 PM

Even if they dont come out with it - something happened at that game..

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 08, 2010, 12:29:58 PM

They waited waaaaay too long to do this, like the Glazers did with Gruden.

I bet Charlie Strong would have preferred to go to USF over Louisville.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 08, 2010, 12:52:43 PM

They waited waaaaay too long to do this, like the Glazers did with Gruden.

I bet Charlie Strong would have preferred to go to USF over Louisville.

Exactly or even Butch Jones who ended up at Cincinnati.  We'll see who they end up with.

Another win for whiny football players unhappy with their playing time and for media hacks that can't get exposure without creating controversy.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 08, 2010, 01:14:04 PM

From ESPN blog.  Can't get the link over here for some reason.  I think this has a lot more to do with it than the Miller situation.  Funny has his fiery attitude, head butting, and yelling was all good when they were climbing, but when he couldn't take them over the top it became an issue.   I'm not completely opposed to him being let go, but let's see if we act like a big time program and go get a good HC or do we take the cheap way out.  Be careful what you wish for.

"There was a general feeling around the program that Leavitt had gotten South Florida to respectability, but that he would never be able to take the program to the next level. This investigation, then, offered the school a way out. Leavitt just finished the second year of a long-term contract that pays him $1.6 million a year, making him the second-highest paid coach in the Big East. The Bulls are not flush with cash as an athletic department, and buying out the rest of Leavitt's deal -- which runs through 2014 -- would have been cost-prohibitive. "

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 08, 2010, 01:15:12 PM

I wonder if Leavitt would be willing to take a short drive north to be a DC?

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 08, 2010, 01:57:27 PM

Today is a good day. I went to USF back when the program first started up to walk on. I always liked Leavitt and all my dealings with him were very good. With that said, after reading this article, I think he did cross the line. I also don't think he was fired for the incident alone. I think it was a combination of the incident, he lied to investigators, tried to manipulate the investigation, and the team had underperformed over the last few seasons. Take all that with his high salary and USF got an excuse to go in another direction.

I think Leavitt was a very good coach. He built USF into a very good program much faster than anyone could ever have anticipated. With that said, this program was not getting better. Some might argue that it had started to regress. I agree with the belief that Leavitt had taken this program about as far as he could. It was time for a change. This program needs some new fresh leadership. As a USF alumni, I am excited about the future.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 08, 2010, 02:04:06 PM

If they go out and get a legitimate coach, then I'm happy.  If they go the cheap route, then this is not a good day.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 08, 2010, 05:33:30 PM

Who will replace Jim Leavitt as head football coach at the University of South Florida? The following names have emerged in the early aftermath of news reports that Leavitt, the only football coach the school has ever had, has been told he will not return as USF coach after 14 years and 13 seasons: Dan McCarney, Florida defensive line coach, Tommy Tuberville, former Auburn coach, Calvin Magee, Michigan offensive coordinator, Terry Bowden, head coach, North Alabama, Rich Bissacia, special teams coach, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tommy Bowden, former Clemson coach. – Tampa Tribune

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 08, 2010, 05:45:00 PM

Pass on Tommy B., Terry  would be ok. Tuberville is meh. Calvin Magee?? not really impressed with Big Blue's anything. Bissacia I think goes to UT or stays in Tampa as DC or Asst. HC or something.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 08, 2010, 05:49:20 PM

Tommy Bowden was a pretty good ballcoach.  A little shady, but a good coach.

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#12 : January 08, 2010, 08:48:19 PM

Who will replace Jim Leavitt as head football coach at the University of South Florida? The following names have emerged in the early aftermath of news reports that Leavitt, the only football coach the school has ever had, has been told he will not return as USF coach after 14 years and 13 seasons: Dan McCarney, Florida defensive line coach, Tommy Tuberville, former Auburn coach, Calvin Magee, Michigan offensive coordinator, Terry Bowden, head coach, North Alabama, Rich Bissacia, special teams coach, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tommy Bowden, former Clemson coach. – Tampa Tribune

Duemig reported on WDAE this afternoon that Phil Fulmer has expressed interest in the USF job.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 08, 2010, 09:47:21 PM

Got no problem with Tuberville, either Bowden or even Fulmer.   McCarney?  No interest in Magee or Bissacia.  You have to upgrade over Leavitt and I better not here $$$$ are a sticking point.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 12, 2010, 10:49:15 AM

Skip Holtz to talk to Woolard:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jan/12/usf-contacts-skip-holtz-about-coaching-job/
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Leavitt out at USF... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools