Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Leavitt out at USF... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 12, 2010, 01:22:57 PM

I wouldn't mind Skip.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#16 : January 12, 2010, 01:58:15 PM

me either

D.Burg

Second String

#17 : January 12, 2010, 06:19:30 PM

Does anyone know if Skip talks like he has cotton in his mouth like his pops??? lol
I wouldnt mind seeing him here he has done great things for E.Carolina.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 12, 2010, 06:20:42 PM

Does anyone know if Skip talks like he has cotton in his mouth like his pops??? lol
I wouldnt mind seeing him here he has done great things for E.Carolina.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 12, 2010, 06:24:17 PM

Apparently USF has contacted Mike Leach. lol.

What's worse? Slapping a kid, or putting one with a concussion into a storage shed?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 12, 2010, 10:55:54 PM

Apparently USF has contacted Mike Leach. lol.

I'll take Leach

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 12, 2010, 11:16:43 PM

They need ti sign Skip ASAP before the Kiffin circus act has a trickle down effect ...

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 12, 2010, 11:19:35 PM

They need ti sign Skip ASAP before the Kiffin circus act has a trickle down effect ...

ESPN didn't even have Holtz as a candidate.  They had the guy from Air Force as the top guy and Mortenson was mentioning David Cutliffe, the Duke coach who was at Tennessee when Manning was there.  Of course, this could change several times in the next few hours let alone days.

ilovebeer

Starter

#23 : January 13, 2010, 02:27:24 PM

I just saw Skip Holtz has been contacted and 'has interest'.  It also said Mike Leach has been contacted.

matt

Starter

#24 : January 13, 2010, 06:52:45 AM

Has USF even tried to contact Chris Petersen? I think you have to ask the guy if he's interested.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#25 : January 14, 2010, 08:51:47 AM

Hiring Leach would be like re-hiring Leavitt, wouldn't it. Afterall, he was fired for mistreating a player, just like Leavitt. It would be an interesting hire -

I wonder if Leavitt would have been fired if he took USF to a national top-10 rating. Something tells me that the University would have guided him through making a public apology and finding a way to settle this issue. Only because Leavitt's team was mediocre, did they show him under the bus. I wonder where the AD and president were early on in this mess. They should have taken a bigger role - but doubt if they wanted to keep Leavitt anyway.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 14, 2010, 10:44:23 AM

I dont understand why people think that when you fire a coach you will automatically get someone better.

You would think the Bucs over the past year would give people a clue that it doesnt always work that way. You can end up with someone worse. That's why you dont fire a coach unless you are certain you could get someone better. That's why Leavitt would have had that job forever if he didnt break the rules.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 14, 2010, 11:59:22 AM

I dont understand why people think that when you fire a coach you will automatically get someone better.

You would think the Bucs over the past year would give people a clue that it doesnt always work that way. You can end up with someone worse. That's why you dont fire a coach unless you are certain you could get someone better. That's why Leavitt would have had that job forever if he didnt break the rules.

Huh?  Comparing the Bucs situation to the Bulls?  Does your lunacy know no bounds?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 14, 2010, 12:00:50 PM

Anyway ... Holtz or Whipple?  Or does someone come swooping in at the last moment,  Personally, I hope it is Holtz.   We should know by tomorrow at the latest.

Is Holtz or Whipple the top target?
8:51
AM ETSouth Florida Bulls Top Email
According to mainstream media reports, East Carolina's Skip Holtz remains the hot name associated with the South Florida opening. In a text message on Wednesday night to Scott Carter of the Tampa Tribune, Holtz said that there was nothing new to report on his talks with USF, but an ECU source tells Sammy Batten of the Fayetteville Observer that the two sides are negotiating: "It's close, but not done yet. But they're moving in that direction."

However, CaneSport.com (a Rivals.com site) is reporting that multiple sources say that Miami offensive coordinator Mark Whipple has emerged as the leading candidate, and that he will likely be offered the job on Thursday. Moreover, these sources say that Whipple, Florida DL coach Dan McCarney and Michigan OC Calvin Magee have actually been the focus of the search over the last day -- not Holtz. Whipple was a very successful lower-level coach (winning the 1998 I-AA national championship at UMass) before moving on to the NFL and then to the Hurricanes.

In the meantime, it was learned that former NFL QB/Grambling coach Doug Williams interviewed with university officials for more than two hours on Tuesday at the American Football Coaches Association convention. He declined comment to Carter on Wednesday.

Another reported candidate, Middle Tennessee State's Rick Stockstill, told Adam Sparks of Murfreesboro's Daily News Journal that neither he nor his agent had been contacted by anyone at South Florida or by anyone associated with South Florida.

Yahoo! Sports' Tom Dienhart, who delivered the original news on Stockstill, also tweeted on Wednesday that former Clemson coach Tommy Bowden met with South Florida officials on Wednesday night.

While we have no idea which tea leaves to believe, a decision is imminent. According to Greg Auman of the St. Petersburg Times, the consensus is that the school wants a coach in place by Friday, when 10 recruits are scheduled to begin their official visits. Carter wrote that there was buzz on Wednesday that the new coach would be introduced to the crowd at Saturday's USF-Rutgers men's basketball game

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#29 : January 14, 2010, 12:23:09 PM

Holtz Provides Twitter Update
Posted Jan 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM
Updated Jan 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

At the same time Joel Miller was having a press conference at his attorney’s office in Tampa—Miller is the USF player at the center of the incident that led to Jim Leavitt’s firing—the leading candidate to replace Leavitt, Skip Holtz, was on Twitter.

He had a message for all the East Carolina fans concerned about the Pirates’ program.

The message @CoachHoltz: “All the coaches have returned from the AFCA Convention and are now in the office focusing on recruiting.’‘

As for Holtz? He wasn’t on campus Thursday morning according to two sources I spoke to, and Rivals.com/Yahoo! national football writer Tom Dienhart had the following tweet shortly prior to Holtz’s:

@TomDienhart: “Someone close to Skip Holtz told me something “should be done today one way or another” concerning the USF job. He isn’t on campus today.’‘

What about those late-surfacing Mark Whipple rumors? The Miami offensive coordinator is considered a top-notch offensive mind, but Holtz remains the leading candidate.

If the two sides can work out a deal, Holtz will be USF’s head football coach on Saturday when USF hosts several recruits.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Leavitt out at USF... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools