Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WR FA Marshall, Boldin or who « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
: January 09, 2010, 01:49:05 PM

Have zero interest in Marshall, but would sure like Boldin.

Who else is out there?

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 09, 2010, 01:55:56 PM

I just don't see them going for anyone over 30, since it will not pay to have any expensive free agents who will "peak" before the rest of the young players/team get their act together, which is probably a couple/few years away. I believe Boldin will turn 30 this year, so he is borderline, but he does have a lot of miles on him with his physical play.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#2 : January 09, 2010, 02:00:17 PM

Neither of these WRs you mentioned will be free agents. Brandon Marshall is a RFA and Anquan Boldin is under contract next season, which means that the only way to aquire either of those players would be through a trade.

Guys like Miles Austin, Vincent Jackson, and Lance Moore will also be RFAs.

I believe Malcolm Floyd, Terrell Owens, Derrick Mason, Antonio Bryant, Kevin Walter, and Jason Avant are FAs.

Antonio Bryant is the best available option at WR out there, so if we don't re-sign him, that would be a huge loss.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 09, 2010, 02:00:23 PM

Slim pickings in an uncapped year, and Boldin has to be traded to be on another team.

http://www.theredzone.org/showposition.aspx?position=WR

RFAs without an asterisk will have completed three NFL seasons. Players who have an asterisk (*) following their names are fourth- or fifth-year players who would be unrestricted free agents if a new Collective Bargaining Agreement is reached prior to March. If not, the NFL will go into an uncapped season, and those players will become restricted free agents

BucsMagic64

Starter

#4 : January 09, 2010, 02:39:04 PM

The Bucs will sign some mediocre veteran who will be a bust in Tampa (like a WR version of Derrick Ward), and then draft a WR in the 3rd round who amounts to poo while letting Bryant walk and we will put together one of the worst, if not the worst group of WRs in the league.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 09, 2010, 02:40:33 PM

I just don't see them going for anyone over 30

I dont see them going after anyone over $1 million a year.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 09, 2010, 02:41:19 PM

The Bucs will sign some mediocre veteran who will be a bust in Tampa (like a WR version of Derrick Ward), and then draft a WR in the 3rd round who amounts to poo while letting Bryant walk and we will put together one of the worst, if not the worst group of WRs in the league.

How bout we judge the current regime on its own merit.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 09, 2010, 02:49:42 PM

Agree with that Hate - while the first year's FA wasn't all that - let's see how they handle the WR situation this year.  Clayton was a mistake, but Raheeminick wasn't the first to make that one...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JC510

Practice Squad

#8 : January 09, 2010, 02:52:50 PM

Braylon Edwards is UFA assuming there's a CBA.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#9 : January 09, 2010, 02:56:27 PM

I doubt the Jets would let Braylon Edwards get away, considering that they just traded for him. I'm sure the Jets will sign him to a contract extension and keep him, just like the Saints made sure to do with Jonathan Vilma. You don't trade for a player and give up draft picks for him just to let him walk away in the offseason.

JC510

Practice Squad

#10 : January 09, 2010, 03:02:14 PM

I doubt the Jets would let Braylon Edwards get away, considering that they just traded for him. I'm sure the Jets will sign him to a contract extension and keep him, just like the Saints made sure to do with Jonathan Vilma. You don't trade for a player and give up draft picks for him just to let him walk away in the offseason.

The Saints didn't make "sure" of that. Bucs made a significant offer to Vilma.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 09, 2010, 03:06:58 PM

How much you wanna bet that Bryant walks and we don't bring in anyone of significance, and the team trys to play it off like they are "building through the draft."

I think season ticket holders are catching on to this scam and they will voice their objections this year. That stadium is going to be empty unless this team signs a pro-bowler or a big name.

It's fine to build through the draft. But what does that have to do with being completely non-existant in free agency?

bucs1

Practice Squad
#12 : January 09, 2010, 03:11:47 PM

The Bucs were never in the running for Jonathan Vilma and Vilma was never going to leave the Saints. If anything, Vilma's agent was just using the Bucs to get a bigger contract for his client. I promise you that Vilma was not going to go elsewhere because of the commitment the Saints showed to him by making that trade.

Capt_Chaos

Pro Bowler
#13 : January 09, 2010, 04:21:27 PM

The Bucs were never in the running for Jonathan Vilma and Vilma was never going to leave the Saints. If anything, Vilma's agent was just using the Bucs to get a bigger contract for his client. I promise you that Vilma was not going to go elsewhere because of the commitment the Saints showed to him by making that trade.

Vilma did the same thing Brooks did, threatened to go to a rival hoping the saints would come correct. he was never gonna go to tampa.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 09, 2010, 04:28:37 PM

If Bryant hits the market based on that list how can anyone doubt he will be the #1 WR available?

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WR FA Marshall, Boldin or who « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools