Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 1 Buc Place? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

quezilla

Hall of Famer
« #15 : March 02, 2007, 08:48:50 PM »

It's called tampering Abuccs

Fresh

Hall of Famer

« #16 : March 02, 2007, 08:49:53 PM »

So who's ready for a top 5 draft pick in '08?
Me, Im ready for the next best saftey. Kenny Phillips S Miami. Ed Reed play with Sean Taylor height.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #17 : March 02, 2007, 08:51:35 PM »

I think it is clear the Bucs strategy has shifted to a wait and see approach after all those players were franchised.

I don't think thats really it. I just think they didn't want to blow their whole salary structure out of the water to pay Clements or Steinbach.   There are 32 teams out there and you can count the really good free agents on one hand.   Its too bad the Bucs couldn't hang, but neither could a lot of other teams who also had plenty of cap space.

Once those franchise tags started flying around plan B seems to be to take a methodical, slow, conservative approach to free agency to build a solid 53 man roster.  Basically a lot of the quality star players were franchised (Briggs, Grant) so the Bucs strategy in FA is to go for quantity role players (eg Chuk, Cox).  

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #18 : March 02, 2007, 09:00:18 PM »

I think it is clear the Bucs strategy has shifted to a wait and see approach after all those players were franchised.

I don't think thats really it. I just think they didn't want to blow their whole salary structure out of the water to pay Clements or Steinbach.   There are 32 teams out there and you can count the really good free agents on one hand.   Its too bad the Bucs couldn't hang, but neither could a lot of other teams who also had plenty of cap space.

Once those franchise tags started flying around plan B seems to be to take a methodical, slow, conservative approach to free agency to build a solid 53 man roster.  Basically a lot of the quality star players were franchised (Briggs, Grant) so the Bucs strategy in FA is to go for quantity role players (eg Chuk, Cox). 

First you need studs before role players.

Sapp, Brooks, Lynch, Barber, Rice, Dunn, Galloway, Gruber, Quarels, Kelly, Abraham, D-Jax. Our studs from our hey day have either left or gotten old. We need to reload with a solid Pro Bowl nucleus. Sapp, Lynch, Brooks. We never groomed their replacements. Still searching for Gruber's. Replaced Abraham with Kelly, but now the future looks bleak. We hope Caddy can be as good as Dunn, we don't know yet. Galloway's replacement? Calvin hopefully if Thomas isn't there. We need to spend some cash on some young studs then fill in around them with role players.

« #19 : March 02, 2007, 08:56:44 PM »

I think the big salary cap increase this year kind of shafted us, we would have been a lot better off without it. Sure, we would have had less money to spend, but lots of teams wouldn't have had any or even been over the cap = lots more cap casualties and teams wouldn't have been able to use the franchise tag left and right like they did this year. There would have been more and better free agents on the market with a smaller pool of money to compete for them.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #20 : March 02, 2007, 09:00:27 PM »

There still are a lot of good free agents out there.  To be honest it has been very slow league wide this free agency period compared to the last few years (especially with the Snyderskins being fairly quiet).

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #21 : March 02, 2007, 09:01:20 PM »

I think the big salary cap increase this year kind of shafted us,

Why just us? It only affected us? Other teams know when you need to shell out some cash.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #22 : March 02, 2007, 09:01:57 PM »

I don't think thats really it. I just think they didn't want to blow their whole salary structure out of the water to pay Clements or Steinbach. There are 32 teams out there and you can count the really good free agents on one hand. Its too bad the Bucs couldn't hang, but neither could a lot of other teams who also had plenty of cap space.

Once those franchise tags started flying around plan B seems to be to take a methodical, slow, conservative approach to free agency to build a solid 53 man roster. Basically a lot of the quality star players were franchised (Briggs, Grant) so the Bucs strategy in FA is to go for quantity role players (eg Chuk, Cox).

Sapp, Brooks, Lynch, Barber, Rice, Dunn, Galloway, Gruber, Quarels, Kelly, Abraham, D-Jax. Our studs from our hey day have either left or gotten old. We need to reload with a solid Pro Bowl nucleus. Sapp, Lynch, Brooks. We never groomed their replacements. Still searching for Gruber's. Replaced Abraham with Kelly, but now the future looks bleak. We hope Caddy can be as good as Dunn, we don't know yet. Galloway's replacement? Calvin hopefully if Thomas isn't there. We need to spend some cash on some young studs then fill in around them with role players.

Young studs get franchise tags role players get a hot towel at the end of the day.  ;)

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #23 : March 02, 2007, 09:03:38 PM »

I don't think thats really it. I just think they didn't want to blow their whole salary structure out of the water to pay Clements or Steinbach. There are 32 teams out there and you can count the really good free agents on one hand. Its too bad the Bucs couldn't hang, but neither could a lot of other teams who also had plenty of cap space.

Once those franchise tags started flying around plan B seems to be to take a methodical, slow, conservative approach to free agency to build a solid 53 man roster. Basically a lot of the quality star players were franchised (Briggs, Grant) so the Bucs strategy in FA is to go for quantity role players (eg Chuk, Cox).

Young studs get franchise tags role players get a hot towel at the end of the day.  ;)
I'm sorry I missed where Clements got franchised. Steinbach was rated as the #3 best avaiable FA...he wasn't franchised.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #24 : March 02, 2007, 09:04:45 PM »

I think the big salary cap increase this year kind of shafted us,

Why just us? It only affected us? Other teams know when you need to shell out some cash.

It shafted every team that was already going have a little room.  It was even worse for teams like us that had to scrimp and save the last few to get to the point where we were good on space.  It did not shaft teams that were over or close or already going to be big players, it helped them.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #25 : March 02, 2007, 09:06:56 PM »

Young studs get franchise tags role players get a hot towel at the end of the day. ;)
I'm sorry I missed where Clements got franchised. Steinbach was rated as the #3 best avaiable FA...he wasn't franchised.

Steinbach is very good but I am not sure I would call him a stud.  Clements is a Pro Bowl caliber CB but the Bucs defensive system does not require a CB to be paid $20 mil in signing bonus to play in this defensive scheme.

Bucs need D-line pressure and most of the D-line studs were frachised.  

« #26 : March 02, 2007, 09:44:24 PM »

I remember reading about all of the **wink- save some space for  me-  wink** nods that we supposedly taking place by the "big names". Where the hell are they?

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #27 : March 02, 2007, 09:46:25 PM »

I remember reading about all of the **wink- save some space for me- wink** nods that we supposedly taking place by the "big names". Where the hell are they?

Most of them were franchised in my opinion.

« #28 : March 02, 2007, 10:03:49 PM »

could be.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #29 : March 03, 2007, 04:23:31 PM »

I remember reading about all of the **wink- save some space for  me-  wink** nods that we supposedly taking place by the "big names". Where the hell are they?
Yah, Scott, who were all this "free agents to be" saying they wanted to become Buccs during the season???
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 1 Buc Place? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools