Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What is the reason why the Bucs will let Antonio Bryant go? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

littlericky

Starter
#30 : January 11, 2010, 11:51:43 PM

Bryant might not be worth 9 million to many other teams, but for a team with no established receivers and  no one really on the market he might just be worth 9 million to the Bucs. Was hurt this year only had 39 rec. but still had 600 yards and I dont know if it was3 or 5 tds. Really not bad stats considering injury and we had 3 QBs and one was a rookie. Pay the man and let him and Freeman work on timing this offseason, even if we pay the man the Bucs might still have to spend one high pick on a WR and a low round pick becaus who else do the Bucs have. I like Stroughter but he is a 7th round pick. Stroughter might pan out he might not.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 11, 2010, 11:58:16 PM

Marshall might be a slightly bigger headache but is a much better WR

A. Marshall is better, but not MUCH better.

B. Marshall is, however, a much bigger headache than Bryant. And that's with a team that was in playoff contention until the final week. Unless the Bucs have a huge turnaround next year, he'd be throwing tantrums left and right.

I have to agree with All_da_way here. It's all about money, and it's unfortunate because he IS our best option this year, assuming most possible free agents like Vincent Jackson are locked up by their teams as they should be.

Besides, Marshall and Bolden coming here is a pipe dream anyways. We'd have to offer them a lot more money than other teams, and that brings us back to our main issue with Bryant...money.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 11, 2010, 11:58:32 PM

Stroughter isnt really suited to be a #1 or #2 guy. He appears to be very effective in the slot and may fit in the way Ike Hilliard did. Didnt break 90 yard TD catches, but he can make that critical 3rd down catch. If teams have to defend that, it will keep the defense honest which keeps them from clamping down on Winslow.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 12, 2010, 12:00:18 AM

Yes Marshall and Bolden are better and yes they will ask for more money than Bryant.  They will dwarf Bryant's contract demands.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 12, 2010, 12:01:21 AM

In all reality, there is no real reason to let AB go. NONE.

Frpom a pure football standpoint, WTF is the real reason?  Okay then.  

Dominik, stop being a stupid horses azz.

Now, a far as SS is concerned, I think in time, he might be a Wes Welker type...he is short, has good acceleration, good shift...I know I know...we'll see.  Hopefully he proves me right, and all of you wrong.

#35 : January 12, 2010, 12:33:42 AM

I'm totally fine with him not being a buc next year. We're rebuilding so lets get young. Antonio Bryant is so easy to replace next year. Freddie Barnes is even a 4th round WR who would be like cloning Antonio Bryant (4th round!!!).

I actually was just reading this while I was typing: (http://www.sidelinescouting.net/rankings/wr.shtml)

"Freddie Barnes - Bowling Green (HT: 6'1" | WT: 205)
Projection: 3rd-4th Round

Strengths:
-Unbelivably productive, set NCAA single-season record for catches this year
-Has good body control and great hands, will catch anything thrown his way
-Knows where and when to sit in zone coverages
-Good at creating after the catch, uses stiff arm to get away from everyone
-Keeps improving, has bounced back after a disappointing junior season
-Versatile, came to Bowling Green as a QB, so he could be a good fit for a team running the Wildcat
-Has not been a WR for very long, so he can keep getting better
-Could go high if he runs a good 40-time at the Combine

Weaknesses:
-Will not dazzle you in any particular area
-Does not have great speed
-Plays in an offensive system that can easily get him the ball
-Struggles at times to create separation from defenders
-Was slowed down in games versus tougher competition in 2009 (held to four catches vs. Boise State)"

Strengths and weaknesses seem familiar to me. AB is a monster but certainly doesn't dazzle with speed or separation.

Im not saying we should draft Barnes, Im just saying there is a 4th rounder could be an AB. personally I think we need a receiver who has good speed and even more importantly can get him self separation from the corner.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#36 : January 12, 2010, 12:44:06 AM

I don't want him back.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 12, 2010, 01:16:07 AM

I don't want him back.
Of course you do not.  You see the depth and talent that is the BUcs WR corps for what they are...yes you do...yes you do...

#38 : January 12, 2010, 01:40:22 AM

Anyone who thinks we're better off without AB is outside their mind. Unless we get Marshall or Jackson but I bet that won't happen.
[/quote

would we be a better team next season without him? No
are we a possible superbowl contending team next season? No
a playoff team next season? No

are we still rebuilding next season? Yes
So does saying we're are better off without him really mean I'm outside my mind? Unless my previous comparison of AB to the 3rd to 4th draft prospect Freddie Barnes is way off, there is no reason he couldn't easily replaced in the draft this year. AB is good but he's no where near Bradon Marshall good.

A good young 22-23 year old WR to replace AB on our young rebuilding team that wont make the playoffs next year anyway doesnt sound insane to me.

People here have no worries about the fact that AB didnt even play that much due to his knee constantly hurting him?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 12, 2010, 01:56:06 AM

Anyone who thinks we're better off without AB is outside their mind. Unless we get Marshall or Jackson but I bet that won't happen.
[/quote

I think the long term view has a lot to do with this.  They don't think AB has many #1 years in the tank, and are worried about his injury potential.  If AB would take a short-term deal with an injury clause I could see this getting done.  Odds are AB wants a long-term deal, which doesn't match his long-term value.

Of course, all that is aside from any locker room issues, if they exist.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 12, 2010, 02:03:40 AM

[/quote

So does saying we're are better off without him really mean I'm outside my mind? Unless my previous comparison of AB to the 3rd to 4th draft prospect Freddie Barnes is way off, there is no reason he couldn't easily replaced in the draft this year. AB is good but he's no where near Bradon Marshall good.

A good young 22-23 year old WR to replace AB on our young rebuilding team that wont make the playoffs next year anyway doesnt sound insane to me.

People here have no worries about the fact that AB didnt even play that much due to his knee constantly hurting him?

lol if things were so easy then why are there so many bad receivers in the league? Others have a big year then drop off.

Realistically we're not getting any top tier free agent receivers.

You can't go into a season with Michael Clayton, Maurice Stovall, Sammie Strougher. All of those guys are worse than Bryant, maybe Stroughter does pan out to be our Wes Welker though, but no guarantee.

Just because a player projects to be something doesn't mean they'll pan out. There's way too many busts in the history of the draft and you want to replace the only real option we have with a 4th round WR just because he has vague similarities with Bryant?

You'd make a great GM for the raiders.

#41 : January 12, 2010, 02:19:30 AM

[/quote

lol if things were so easy then why are there so many bad receivers in the league? Others have a big year then drop off.

You can't go into a season with Michael Clayton, Maurice Stovall, Sammie Strougher. All of those guys are worse than Bryant, maybe Stroughter does pan out to be our Wes Welker though, but no guarantee.

Just because a player projects to be something doesn't mean they'll pan out. There's way too many busts in the history of the draft and you want to replace the only real option we have with a 4th round WR just because he has vague similarities with Bryant?

If you read my earlier post on page one I didnt say I wanted to replace him with Freddie Barnes. I was saying there someone who is very comparable to him in the draft ant that persons projection is as late as the 4th so Bryant isnt some wonder WR that will be replaceable.

As far as WR picks not panning out. Most every wide reciever that picked in last years draft look like great assets to their teams now.

2009 had:
Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin, Knicks, Britt, Massaquoi, Wallace, Collie, Knox.

Thats a lot of rookie WR that after one season look like they are going to be big components to there team.

So based on the most previous draft I'd say chances are good.

"because he has vague similarities with Bryant?" vague??? really??

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#42 : January 12, 2010, 02:23:46 AM

[/quote

I think the long term view has a lot to do with this. They don't think AB has many #1 years in the tank, and are worried about his injury potential. If AB would take a short-term deal with an injury clause I could see this getting done. Odds are AB wants a long-term deal, which doesn't match his long-term value.

Of course, all that is aside from any locker room issues, if they exist.

Yeah. Lets unload any vet that wants a big contract and replace him with some cheap, unproven guy.

The Glazers would love you to be GM.

So you want Clayton, a 2nd round draft pick, Stroughter, and Clark to be our WRs? That's a joke. There is no way in hell Freeman is going to develop with so much inexperience and inconsistancy (Clayton) at WR. It's just not possible You need someone at that position that is solid and knows what they are doing. I know you want a young team. But you can't load up a team with practice squad level talent and inexperienced college players and expect them to play on an NFL level with an inexperienced coaching staff leading the way.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 12, 2010, 02:51:05 AM

[/quote

If you read my earlier post on page one I didnt say I wanted to replace him with Freddie Barnes. I was saying there someone who is very comparable to him in the draft ant that persons projection is as late as the 4th so Bryant isnt some wonder WR that will be replaceable.

As far as WR picks not panning out. Most every wide reciever that picked in last years draft look like great assets to their teams now.

2009 had:
Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin, Knicks, Britt, Massaquoi, Wallace, Collie, Knox.

Thats a lot of rookie WR that after one season look like they are going to be big components to there team.

So based on the most previous draft I'd say chances are good.

"because he has vague similarities with Bryant?" vague??? really??

This is comparable to someone saying the Patriots should replace Randy Moss because he's inconsistent and because there's a guy in the 4th round who is tall, quick, and alot of rookie receivers last year contributed. Sure Bryant isn't a Moss, but it's the exact same scenario. Why overpay any receiver then if there's a guy in a later round who is comparable to one they have on their team?

I definitely think we should take a receiver in the 2nd round, but I have no hopes of him doing anything more than making a few plays here and there. Nothing a young QB can rely on. Eventually that receiver should pan out to be a great starter, but that's going to take time and that's not something the bucs have the privilege of. Fans are disappearing and Freeman is going to bust without real options to throw to. Most of those receivers who did well had veteran QBs, and even if they did contribute they still don't do the small things veteran receivers do which help a QB out.

#44 : January 12, 2010, 03:13:47 AM

Saying we're in a scenario comparable to the patriots I'm not even gonna respond to.

I'm gonna start over and simplify my opinion.

We are rebuilding and AB is not NEARLY as good as some of you are making him out to be right now. I would not be bothered If he was gone. And I believe the 2nd round offers plenty of WR that will have a good NFL career right out the box.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What is the reason why the Bucs will let Antonio Bryant go? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools