Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting "Facts" « previous next »
Page: 1

Snook

Hall of Famer
: January 13, 2010, 02:32:15 PM

The big conferences against non-conference opponents:

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=4822480

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#1 : January 13, 2010, 03:33:49 PM

How many of those games for the SEC were against 1-AA or Sun Belt schools?

Get out of here with that **CENSORED**.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 13, 2010, 03:42:25 PM

So Pac-10 teams don't play schools like LA-Monroe, Idaho State or Eastern Washington?

Good to know.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#3 : January 13, 2010, 03:44:47 PM

So Pac-10 teams don't play schools like LA-Monroe, Idaho State or Eastern Washington?

Good to know.

Not nearly as much as the SEC plays cupcakes and you know thats a fact. I agree that the SEC is the best overall conference, but to use out of conference scheduling as your selling point is absurd.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 13, 2010, 03:47:14 PM

Interesting graph.  

I think part of the reason schools in the west lost more games is because the non-qualifying teams out there seem to be more competitive.  

The SEC isn't really known for scheduling out of conference teams that are competitive, particularly non-qualifying schools - so I think there is some skew, but that doesn't make it invalid.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

Snook

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 13, 2010, 06:10:20 PM

Good to know.

Not nearly as much as the SEC plays cupcakes and you know thats a fact. I agree that the SEC is the best overall conference, but to use out of conference scheduling as your selling point is absurd.

Where did I say the SEC is the "best overall conference"?

Those are your words, not mine.  Although I do agree.  I just posted a link from ESPN that I found interesting. 

Chill out.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#6 : January 13, 2010, 07:59:26 PM

Good to know.

Where did I say the SEC is the "best overall conference"?

Those are your words, not mine.  Although I do agree.  I just posted a link from ESPN that I found interesting. 

Chill out.

I will have none of this chilling out!

:P

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#7 : January 13, 2010, 08:04:36 PM

awitron here are the facts on the non conferences fo the big 4 this past season per ESPN

Games against I-AA teams: SEC (23 percent), Big Ten (21 percent), Big 12 (19 percent), Pac-10 (13 percent).
Games against BCS teams: Pac-10 (50 percent), Big Ten (32 percent), SEC (29 percent), Big 12 (23 percent),
Games against non-BCS, I-A teams: Big 12 (58 percent), Big Ten (48 percent), SEC (48 percent), Pac-10 (37 percent).

Now consider the SEC conference schedule (brutal), the SOS's don't lie. Consider how many SEC teams went to bowl games, They had the highest win pct of the big 4 with .600 win %. Then add in the fact they won it all and they were clearly the best conference this year.

As for the out of conference being so unbalanced as you seem to imply- come on-- measure the SOS as a whole and then look at the actual percentages on the OOC schedule and they are not as far off as you imply and are on par with other conferences. In fact the conferences that have more competition within them are pretty similar to SEC numbers. Pac10 seems to have much stiffer OOC schedules but there in conference alot of years is laughable at best. They have to go OOC and look at ome of their OOC in the past yeasr SEC schools were there like Arkansas.  Big 10 has a usually good in conference schedule yet they dont even have a champ game. Point is each conference has their weakness.

And SEC may have some weaker years at OOC and this would be one but it is not that far off and is on par with some of the others other than the PAc 10 who is forced to schedule power matchups OOC due to their poor in conference schedule rankings.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 13, 2010, 08:21:06 PM

Good to know.

Look whos always at the top in non conference...

Washington
Oregon
USC
UCLA
etc

get out with that crap.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 13, 2010, 10:56:05 PM

The graph(data) is interesting but the article(conclusion) is pure crap.

the SEC has been THE dominant conference in college football while the Pac-10 has been the weakest automatic-qualifying conference.

No way could anyone consider the PAC weaker than the ACC, Big Ten or the Big East since 2006.

the SEC has the best record of any of the automatic-qualifying conferences in non-conference games.

The Pac-10 has the worst. Even the Mountain West Conference has performed better.

Well, most MWC OOC games WERE vs the PAC.

Also the PAC OOC games include the annual USC/OSU game, USC/ ND, and several teams vs BSU, BYU, and Utah. I also noticed that the author FAILED to mention the SEC vs PAC games (non-bowl) where the record is pretty close to .500 and may favor the PAC.

And the idea that Lane fled UT because playing UF, UGa, SCar and Bama every year is harder than playing Ore, OSU, Stanford, Cal, ASU, AZ and UCLA EVERY YR is absurd. At USC he'll have to play EVERY team in the conference EVERY year, but at UT he only had to face LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss etc every third year or so.  STUPID CONCLUSION.

Also, staying in the SEC means a much greater shot at a bowl game because the SEC has far more bowl affiliations.

The real and only reason Lane left for USC is because he is a fickled little money hungry whore with absolutely ZERO loyalty to anyone or anything. He'll screw USC over, take their money and leave them with nothing but a case of the crabs, just like he did Tennessee.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 14, 2010, 01:46:35 AM

More proof that the Big East continues to be the most underrated conference in the country. No one is even mentioning that the Big East had the 2nd best record on that chart.  The Big East has done very well in the head to head vs BCS conf. games too. Usually finishing 2nd or 3rd overall.

Yet, the perception is that the Big East is terrible.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting "Facts" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools