Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SUGGEST WE ALL EMPTY OUR CLOSETS & PANTRYs FOR HAITI « previous next »
Page: 1 2

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 15, 2010, 06:19:05 PM

Read the rest of the post.  The second line qualifies the first.  Thanks.

Incredibly disappointing what I have read in this thread.  I feel sorry for folks who only consider doing the right thing when there is something to be had at a later date.  For me personally, I will be donating via Catholic Charities.  That way neither Government will get access to the donation

Incredibly disappointing what I have read in this thread. I feel sorry for folks who only consider doing the right thing when there is something to be had at a later date. For me personally, I will be donating via Catholic Charities.

Meh, so you're disappointed. I'm disappointed in people who will gladly give to corrupt governments abroad but not to the homeless here in America.

Maybe you should follow you own rules on reading posts, especially when deciding to delete relevant portions of a quote. I believe your disappointment in giving to corrupt governments was specifically addressed in the quote by saying that neither government would have access to his donation.

Thanks

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 15, 2010, 09:31:56 PM

sorry if you hate me.. but F that **CENSORED**.. we have people living on the streets here and we need to help them first..

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 15, 2010, 09:51:52 PM

I wonder how many of you lets help Americans are really helping Americans?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if you were already doing what you say you want to do, doing something for another country wouldn't be an issue...I might be wrong though I doubt it. 

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 15, 2010, 09:56:48 PM

I wonder how many of you lets help Americans are really helping Americans? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if you were already doing what you say you want to do, doing something for another country wouldn't be an issue...I might be wrong though I doubt it.
Exactly.

The people living on the "street" are not victimized by one of the greatest natural disasters to ever work on the planet.  People are piling up bodies in the street, babies, mothers, kids, fathers, grandparents...they have no doctors, no law enforcement, no means to take care of themselves in any way effectively.

I have a closet full of old clothes, and I have given enough in my life to the Salvation Army.  I think this time around, my clothes and a few extra pennies will go towards a country that really will benefit by having these cast aways that require no more effort other than me walking over to a ARC center and dumping my unwanted items there. 

And I agree with the premise of your post Chev...I doubt you are wrong on this matter either.  Have seen enough to know very few ever help others in spite of their quick rationales.  I know I have...but this time I will donate to a very worthy cause.

I mean...bodies are everywhere.  I am more than willing to help in whatever small way I can.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 15, 2010, 09:57:13 PM

sorry if you hate me.. but F that crap.. we have people living on the streets here and we need to help them first..

How can that be, LBJ declared war on that over 40 years ago. Where did those trillions go?

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 15, 2010, 10:18:20 PM

I help america everyday i go to work and they take taxes out.. Problem is.. the tax money they get go to all the wrong places..

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 15, 2010, 10:22:34 PM

sorry if you hate me.. but F that crap.. we have people living on the streets here and we need to help them first..
Help both - they both need it.
Incredibly disappointing what I have read in this thread. I feel sorry for folks who only consider doing the right thing when there is something to be had at a later date. For me personally, I will be donating via Catholic Charities.

Meh, so you're disappointed.  I'm disappointed in people who will gladly give to corrupt governments abroad but not to the homeless here in America.  
You might want to think about understanding what you are saying about yourself.  Finding a way to avoid governments to help people is not very hard - especially for one who is as accomplished as you say you are.  

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

luke99

Starter

#22 : January 15, 2010, 11:12:54 PM

Here is the reality of Hati. Over the last 10 years they have been given over $9 Billion Dollars. They have no Roads, No Schools and no infastructure.

meanwhile, we have people over here in the USA losing their homes, Jobs and kids and families going hungry. Yet as soon as another country has something happen we pledge $100,000,000 dollars.

Time to take care of our own.. oh yeah, for those of us that pat taxes tsome of that money already goes to Hati...

My Clothes and $$$ stay here and help my country the USA

Hate

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 15, 2010, 11:17:25 PM

While I feel for the people of Haiti, our local food banks here are overrun with people in need. They can't keep up. Gotta take care of Americans first and foremost.

Agreed!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

TbayBucs

Pro Bowler

#24 : January 16, 2010, 12:23:39 AM

I donated to the red cross and that is the only org that i will donate money. Ive seen first hand what they can do. I should know since I ate at a red cross center for about 2 months off and on for 2 meals a day. This is a hard for me to let go being I was on the recieving end of aid and donations during 4 miserable months after Katrina. I just cant watch it on the news because it brings back bad memories for me. Their is no need to say something negative about what has happened and if you cant/wont donate; Maybe a little prayer will do.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 16, 2010, 01:46:55 PM

http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/currentsum.htm  US cost of American Food programs

http://controlcongress.com/uncategorized/entitlementswelfare-cost-130billion-monthly

I think there is a way to work Haiti in...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 18, 2010, 11:35:29 AM

I wonder how many of you lets help Americans are really helping Americans? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if you were already doing what you say you want to do, doing something for another country wouldn't be an issue...I might be wrong though I doubt it.

Currently my money and time go to Habitat for Humanity, the local food banks and Goodwill.  Extra money set aside for charity goes to St Judes. 

By the way, emptying out my closets and "pantrys" would leave my children with nothing.  Sorry, but above all else I don't a give crap about anyone in this world more than my own family.  Times are hard on everyone.  I give what I can in regards to both time and money.  Haiti is a tragedy.  But it seems there is a tragedy every couple of years in some crap hole 3rd world country. We can't bail them all out.  Hell, we can't even rebuild New Orleans!  Have we all forgotten that we have a major city in THIS country that is still in rubble? 

We need to get our priorities in line.  The money, aid, etc that's going to Haiti should be going to New Orleans.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SUGGEST WE ALL EMPTY OUR CLOSETS & PANTRYs FOR HAITI « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools