Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Nolan Nawrocki "McCoy has warranted higher grades than Suh?" What??? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

NYC BUC

Second String
: January 19, 2010, 12:31:44 PM

In his latest column in PFW on Gerald McCoy Nawrocki  quotes "McCoy has warranted higher grades from NFL evaluators than Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh and stands a legitimate chance to be the first overall pick in the NFL draft. "

Are you kidding me? When I read this I almost fell out of my chair, if I was a pregnant woman I would have given birth!!! What NFL evaluator would tell him this! It's ridiculous! Has he seen Suh play? Has he seen McCoy throw OLinemen aside like ragdolls? Did he see Suh destroy the entire Texas offense in the bowl game? If he believes this is true what is he smoking? I respect McCoy's game and believe he will be a good player but Suh is in a completely different league. He is Reggie White at DT, thats how dominant his strength is. What do you think?

#1 : January 19, 2010, 12:51:52 PM

Higher grades maybe... ceiling may be higher ... maybe.

Remember - Suh will NOT be able to 'throw NFL Olinemen around like ragdolls'... 

He is not Suhperman.   Just an excellent prospect.  I am not downgrading the guy... but some of the hyperbole
is really getting out there...

Edit: forgot a key word 'not'

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 19, 2010, 01:06:43 PM

McCoy was rated higher than Suh on many scouting sites through the first half of the season.  Suh's performance of the ages against Texas has him a little overrated as a prospect IMO.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 19, 2010, 01:37:08 PM

Overrated? lol

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#4 : January 19, 2010, 02:11:32 PM

Sweet, would love to have McCoy leap frog Suh and let Suh fall to us....

Too me there is no comparison, Suh took over most of the games he played in, not just the Texas game... and McCoy disappeared in ALOT of games.

Mellow

Starter

#5 : January 19, 2010, 02:20:38 PM

While I agree that it seems absurd to rank McCoy higher than Suh, based on what I've seen this season, you have to admit the fact that someone who knows football says it's so suggests the difference between them isn't as large as some of us think.  Hype is a dangerous thing around draft time, and right now Suh is getting a lot of it.

Is he the best prospect in the draft?  Probably.
Will he for sure end up a better player than McCoy?  No, not for sure.

I take from this two things:

(a) the notion of giving up a lot to trade up two places and take Suh is probably a bad idea;

(b) trading down, as many have speculated, to take the best non-Suh DT available (McCoy/Price) may be the best idea, odds-wise.

X Factor

Starter
#6 : January 19, 2010, 02:38:53 PM

Ive heard the same thing too from some different sites... Also heard that McCoy is the better 3 technique DT... Interesting. The combine will take care of a lot of this stuff..

Mike Williams by Xfactor32, on Flickr

fsuklee

Second String

#7 : January 19, 2010, 03:40:49 PM

I think McCoy will be a more complete player.  If you compare Suh's numbers to McCoy based on the same year (freshman #'s vs. freshman numbers) they are very comparable.  Suh has had an extra year to dominate.  suh also has some talent around him.  Suh even said his teammate is the the next "suh".  I like Suh but I don't think his limited moves and over-reliance on his strength will fly in the pros.  I would be happy with either but I think McCoy fits this team better and we don't have to give up picks.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 19, 2010, 08:39:17 PM

McCoy is a junior, Suh is a senior. Before the season, McCoy was seen at the better DT by at least 20 picks. Suh had a great year, and McCoy was relatively quiet compared to Suh (but his production was still as good, if not better than his previous year).

I really wouldn't be surprised if Suh turned out to be not as good as McCoy. McCoy has a quick first step and will fit in great at the UT position here.

DA_OAKS

Starter

#9 : January 19, 2010, 09:06:45 PM

i all for mccoy or morgan if suh is gone.

kjbugman

Starter

#10 : January 19, 2010, 09:25:23 PM

SUH IS THE MOST HYPED PLAYER OUT OF COLLEGE I HAVE SEEN IN MY LIFETIME. (15 YEARS OLD)

Unless he makes the pro bowl next year, the team who drafts him will be disappointed

BIG MAC AND BIG SACK!

NYC BUC

Second String
#11 : January 19, 2010, 11:21:59 PM

For those who think Suh is just a power player are wrong. The guy has great hands and can shed blocks, locate the ball in traffic and make the play! Playing off the Guards shoulder in our Tampa 2 he would be unblockable. Ive watch plenty of games were McCoy blows right past the ball carrier and he runs for 20yards. Gerhart did that plenty against Oklahoma, watch the tape. I have some reservations about McCoy at #3. I would trade down pick up Price, Haden, Dez Bryant or Mcclain and more picks IMO

Buceye

Rookie

#12 : January 19, 2010, 11:26:55 PM

SUH IS THE MOST HYPED PLAYER OUT OF COLLEGE I HAVE SEEN IN MY LIFETIME. (15 YEARS OLD)

Unless he makes the pro bowl next year, the team who drafts him will be disappointed

That's a little harsh wouldn't you say???  

Granted, i didn't watch every game both Suh and McCot played this year, but what I was able to see was ...
 Â    Suh plays at a very high level at the start of the game, then burns out.  Meaning, most of his big plays come when rested.  After playing time increases, he gets tired and does not play with the same intensity and penetration into the backfield fades.  What Suh will provide any NFL team from the start is plugging the hole and moving to the play at LOS due to his great footwork and eye for the ball.  But with the proper coaching and training, he may become an elite DT like Reggie White.
 Â    McCoy plays with a high intensity from start to finish and due to his technique and speed, often penetrates into the backfield.  Although while having a good eye for the ball, this penetration sometimes romoves him from getting in on the play.  Although he will always be in persuit of the ball.  Also with proper coahing, he may become an elite player like Anthony McFarland as listed on one scouting report.

At their current playing level, the result is:
 Â    Suh will provide great intensity at the start of the game, but dwendles once tired.  But don't be fooled to easily, he still plays hard and will STOP THE RUN even if doubled teamed.  He will always be near or in the play at LOS.  Due to his abilities and intellegence, he is expected to excel at the next level.  The better the coaching and training regiment, the faster he'll improve at the next level.
 Â    McCoy has a non-stop motor that provides great intensity throughout the game and will get more PENETRATION into the backfield on a play by play basis.  While being good at stopping the run, he is sometimes removed from the play due to his penetration which initially will lead him away from where the play develops.  But like Suh, he will always make his way back to the ball.  Also like Suh and due to his abilities and intellegence, he is expected to excel at the next level.  The better the coaching and training regiment, the faster he'll improve at the next level.

Buceye

Rookie

#13 : January 19, 2010, 11:32:44 PM

I think the perfect DT combination in the T2 4-3 scheme is to have someone like Suh and McCoy.  Suh offering more power and standing their ground with the ability to get sacks and McCoy with the penetration/sacks and speed to still make plays.  Although improbable for the Bucs to land both these players, they would make for a good blueprint.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#14 : January 20, 2010, 02:47:19 AM

Nobody even knows how good Ndamukong Suh can even be yet because he played in a 2-gap scheme at Nebraska that had him read and react, rather than a 1-gap scheme that McCoy ran at Oklahoma where he had to contain/shoot his gap and be much more aggressive. If they changed places, Suh would have shown he is unstoppable and McCoy would have looked like one of our DTs did.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Nolan Nawrocki "McCoy has warranted higher grades than Suh?" What??? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools