Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kipers first mock has the Bucs taking......... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 21, 2010, 04:59:36 PM

January 21, 2010

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4841432

Kiper first mock draft: Tenn S Eric Berry to Bucs at No. 3

Get ready for three months of NFL draft projections. The top draft guru, Mel Kiper, has released his first mock draft.

It includes underclassmen. In fact, 21 of the top 32 picks in the mock draft are underclassmen.

This is huge draft for the Bucs, who own five of the top 99 picks, including the third overall and two, second-rounders. Fortunately for the Bucs, the 2010 draft is loaded with defensive line talent.

Kiper has Nebraska defensive Ndamukong Suh going to the St. Louis Rams with the first overall pick. The Detroit Lions are projected to take Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.

With the third overall pick, Kiper projects the Bucs to select Tennessee safety Eric Berry.

Berry will be linked to the Bucs for many reasons, not the least of which he played at Tennessee for former Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

Safety is not the Bucs' biggest need. But Tanard Jackson is one infraction away from being suspended indefinitely and Sabby Piscitelli has not panned out.

Posted by Rick Stroud at 11:27:18 AM on January 21, 2010

JHOx26x

Practice Squad

#1 : January 21, 2010, 05:01:16 PM

win

s0uthFLbucfan

Starter

#2 : January 21, 2010, 05:03:12 PM

It looks like Rah has some say in drafting (Freeman was HIS pick lol) and if he pulls the trigger on berry, i trust it. He may not know head coaching, but he knows pass defense.

"We're going to be d--- good,"-
Kellen Winslow II. Novemeber 15, 2009

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 21, 2010, 05:07:28 PM

Let's hope the QBs really impress at the combine

pewtergirl

Practice Squad

#4 : January 21, 2010, 05:08:33 PM

I hope not...

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#5 : January 21, 2010, 05:14:04 PM

I sometimes wonder if they actually do any research or just randomly pick names out of a hat. Berry at 3? ugh.. I hope not.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 21, 2010, 05:20:16 PM

Need to build at the lines first. From what I read here in PR, safeties can be had later in the draft. Bucs are sitting at 3 with plenty of draft picks (and players) to use for trade ammunition. Is Suh indeed is the second coming of Sapp, then trade up to get him. Rams still will get #3 and able to take the QB of their choice.

wildbuc99

Rookie

#7 : January 21, 2010, 05:20:52 PM

Berry is a hell of a player, but Safety at #3??? If Suh is off the board I think McClain or Berry should be the pick. Go with BPA in the 1st round. We need a player who will NOT be a bust.

tenfive

Starter

#8 : January 21, 2010, 05:49:02 PM

If they can't trade and are stuck at 3 then Berry rates as BPA he is ranked at #1 on most draft boards so if we can't trade out of 3 then getting the top ranked player in the draft isn't a bad pick. no one can argue that it isn't a position of need maybe not top priority but a definite need posion so why not fill it with the top player in the draft at that position rather then the 5th best player at safety because DT is a greater need. It would not be my first choice but adding a top safety to our D is a great start since the Tampa-2 puts more importance on the safety play vs the CBs. McClain would be a great pick but with Rudd still on the team the upgrade at MLB would not be as great as safety where a great safety would be a big upgrade. We all know that DT is a top priority but if the top 2 are off the board then you have to go with BPA. we can't look at rebuilding this team in one year but if you keep drafting the BPA in every round you start building talent. BPA doesn't mean that you ignore needs but it does mean that talent is more important then filling holes especially when there are so many holes to fill.

Madman

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 21, 2010, 05:52:25 PM

If Suh and McCoy go 1,2 you HAVE to take Berry at 3. He's rated by many scouts as the #1 player in the entire draft. Eric will be a fan favorite in no time.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 21, 2010, 05:53:39 PM

If they can't trade and are stuck at 3 then Berry rates as BPA he is ranked at #1 on most draft boards so if we can't trade out of 3 then getting the top ranked player in the draft isn't a bad pick. no one can argue that it isn't a position of need maybe not top priority but a definite need posion so why not fill it with the top player in the draft at that position rather then the 5th best player at safety because DT is a greater need. It would not be my first choice but adding a top safety to our D is a great start since the Tampa-2 puts more importance on the safety play vs the CBs. McClain would be a great pick but with Rudd still on the team the upgrade at MLB would not be as great as safety where a great safety would be a big upgrade. We all know that DT is a top priority but if the top 2 are off the board then you have to go with BPA. we can't look at rebuilding this team in one year but if you keep drafting the BPA in every round you start building talent. BPA doesn't mean that you ignore needs but it does mean that talent is more important then filling holes especially when there are so many holes to fill.

Nice try, but there's no way to justify taking a safety at #3.

Trading down a few spots and taking Brian Price would be a much better idea. You could also pick up a good safety with that extra pick you get.

Madman

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 21, 2010, 05:55:03 PM

Nice try, but there's no way to justify taking a safety at #3.

Trading down a few spots and taking Brian Price would be a much better idea. You could also pick up a good safety with that extra pick you get.

You can when the player is Eric Berry.

I'd rather have one exceptional player than 2 'good' ones.

Mellow

Starter

#12 : January 21, 2010, 05:57:46 PM

Picking Berry would be a classic Bucs' pick--a premium draft pick wasted on a low-value position.  See Davin Joseph, Carnell Williams, even Michael Clayton.

Point is:
(1) Safeties aren't that important to the success of a team, at least compared to positions like QB, LT, DT, DE.  This is especially true for the Bucs who have a horrible D-line.
(2) Plenty of good safeties will be available in later rounds, or later in the first--it's not like you HAVE to spend a high R1 pick to get a good one.  This is especially true of this draft.

I'd hate it if the drat went down like this.

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 21, 2010, 05:59:07 PM

I wouldn't be mad with Berry. We could still get a talented DT at 2a maybe Dan Williams or Cody. Cody might not fit the criteria of a tampa 2 tackle but we aren't just running your typical tampa 2 anymore. Morris is trying to build a versatile defense with different formations and looks

tenfive

Starter

#14 : January 21, 2010, 06:02:56 PM

The point is if you are drafting third and can't trade down who do you take? A potential pro bowl safety playmaker or a LT in Okung which is a high value pick or McClain which is not as great a need if you still have Rudd. Safety is a higher value pick in the Tampa-2 since they have to cover half the field and give run support, look how much Sanders is missed by the Colts when he is out.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kipers first mock has the Bucs taking......... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools