Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kipers first mock has the Bucs taking......... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#135 : January 29, 2010, 04:35:11 PM

We dont run just a tampa 2 like before..... Rah has said that we are alot more aggressive than the old style of defense we use to play and im sure that would like to be more aggressive but we dont have the talent to do that

Well actually I think the thing is that we blitz because we have less talent.

If we had more talent, we would blitz less because we'd be getting pressure with the front 4 more often.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#136 : January 31, 2010, 03:51:19 AM

We dont run just a tampa 2 like before..... Rah has said that we are alot more aggressive than the old style of defense we use to play and im sure that would like to be more aggressive but we dont have the talent to do that

If we had more talent, we would blitz less because we'd be getting pressure with the front 4 more often.

OK, since you don't have an idea as to the number of teams that use BPA, exclusively....lets try something a little more direct...

How many teams have ever drafted a Safety with the 3rd pick in the draft?

See, like I said.

dumb.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

naborhood

Second String

#137 : January 31, 2010, 06:11:49 AM

OK, since you don't have an idea as to the number of teams that use BPA, exclusively....lets try something a little more direct...

How many teams have ever drafted a Safety with the 3rd pick in the draft?

See, like I said.

dumb.
now ask yourself how many team wish now they would have drafted ronnie lot, ed reed, or troy palomalu with the 3rd pick in the draft after it was all said and done.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#138 : January 31, 2010, 09:25:03 PM

Ronnie Lott was drafted as a CB, as a rookie he was voted ROY, and played corner for 4 years before being moved to Safety. He was drafted 8th overall.

Regarding which teams would have drafted Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu with the 3rd overall pick? Well...only those teams that run a 3-4 philosophy would place that value on any Safety.

To illustrate that - 23 teams passed on Reed (drafted 24th overall) and Polomalu was passed over by 15 other NFL teams. Pittsburgh ranked free-agent and recent super bowl MVP Dexter Jackson as their first priority.

So, to answer your question - it is only after several teams tried drafting Safety's they thought would be Reed and Polomalu - and failed - that they determined it was probably best to not pick a Safety that high.

So, it's still dumb to draft a safety that high - ESPECIALLY if you aren't going to run a man-on-man secondary.

Only 3-4 teams are going to rank Berry that high - and the jury is out on which of them would consider selecting Berry with the 3rd overall.

As PR has reported, this years 3rd pick in the 1st round will be paid approximately $30 million in guaranteed money that's the MOST money any team will spend this draft at the 3rd overall selection. Do you seriously think this team can afford to commit over $30 million to a rookie Safety?

I don't, and neither do those who select NFL talent.

Here is an article that puts a little finer point on it over the past 10 years:

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2010/1/14/1251506/draft-history-which-round-do

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#139 : January 31, 2010, 11:42:43 PM

We could get a better safety in round two in Chad Jones from LSU so if Pussberry is the pick I will be pissed!!!  I would rather trade down, take Dez Bryant, Rolando McClain, Russell Okung or hell even do what the Vikings did and pass!!!  Eric Berry is all hype and the guy will not be a great pro and picking #3 we better get one helluva player!!

I'm an Eric Berry hater but saying he won't be a good pro is going overboard. I just think he has way too much hype around him and people think he's some kind of huge game changer like Ed Reed just because Berry had a few big highlights last year. Some people think you could even move him over to CB and he'd be as good as Asomougha or Revis.

Reed was huge coming out of college. He had a 9 interception, 3 TD season, way better than any of Berry's seasons. He was also huge on special teams, made some great tackles, had a few punt blocks. He also was noticeably better at tackling on defense as well.

I just think for what he's done, he should be picked in the mid first and not be considered the #1 prospect on people's boards. I really think that scouts just have that board up from last year. Once they go through film this year and after the combine and interviews, other players are going to shoot above Berry.

Agreed. The guy is good, but not THAT good.

On the otherhand, If Suh and McCoy are gone, are there really any other DT's that should be drafted in the first anyway? I'm not so sure, and we damn-sure shouldn't go offense in the first either. I think that's what most peoples projections are based on when involving the Bucs.

Although, I'm not totally sold that the two teams ahead of us even want Suh or McCoy.

Why would they get a DL, when they can pick up someone who will have literal possession of the ball, and change the game more often? DL's only have the ball when they create a fumble, int, etc, and they need guys that can handle the rock. Both are seeped in very bad offenses, one needs a QB really bad, and the other a RB. Suh can't help either one right away either, as there simply isn't anyone on either team to help him. If we stay where we are at, we are "sitting-pretty" as they say.

This "trade-down crap is for sissies and penny-pinchers too. I don't really care what the Pats did either, they have the luxury of luring in anyone they want and fleecing everyone in trades.

Trade down picks + non-active FA = Same crap as before, maybe worse.  [banghead]

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#140 : February 01, 2010, 12:59:16 PM

Trading down = penny penching Nice angle benchwarmer...

Trading down doesn't actually "pench pennies" if the lower picks don't, or can't contribute (Sammie Davis and Terrence Kiel).

Both gobbled up dollars and cap space while contributing about as much as the guy those teams didn't select.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#141 : April 23, 2010, 11:43:09 AM

Okay. We're gonna take a safety (that's right, a safety) at 3.

That better?

LOL Well, it proves you have no idea what you are typing about if nothing else. Oh well, I don't pretend to know who we'll end up with in April either.
BTW, Wasn't Sean Taylor a top five pick a few years ago? It does happen. Just typing fact.
So what? With the needs we have, we're not going to pick a safety that high.

And you're a hypocrite BTW. Weren't you the one who used to go into every T.O. thread and say "it will not happen" as if it was fact. That was more likely than us drafting a safety #3 overall when we have bigger needs.

If the Bucs don't draft Berry (which I don't think will happen either) you can bump this thread and call Garv angry, stupid, and bitter - apparently.
Well well well...

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#142 : April 23, 2010, 12:11:30 PM

That better?

LOL Well, it proves you have no idea what you are typing about if nothing else. Oh well, I don't pretend to know who we'll end up with in April either.
BTW, Wasn't Sean Taylor a top five pick a few years ago? It does happen. Just typing fact.

And you're a hypocrite BTW. Weren't you the one who used to go into every T.O. thread and say "it will not happen" as if it was fact. That was more likely than us drafting a safety #3 overall when we have bigger needs.

If the Bucs don't draft Berry (which I don't think will happen either) you can bump this thread and call Garv angry, stupid, and bitter - apparently.
Well well well...

I love it when people actually get held accountable to what they say on the message board. HAHA!

Garv

Hall of Famer
#143 : April 23, 2010, 12:52:45 PM

That better?

Well well well...

LOL Well, way back then I believe we all thought Suh and McCoy were going to be gone at three. I still like Berry as a player but am much happier with McCoy being a Buc. Now, I may BE stupid but I'm so angry about it I'm bitter now.

See you tonight at Champps? Hope so.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#144 : April 23, 2010, 01:01:05 PM

That better?

Well well well...

Well played, good sir.

Page: 1 ... 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kipers first mock has the Bucs taking......... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools