Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kipers first mock has the Bucs taking......... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#15 : January 21, 2010, 06:04:17 PM

If they can't trade and are stuck at 3 then Berry rates as BPA he is ranked at #1 on most draft boards so if we can't trade out of 3 then getting the top ranked player in the draft isn't a bad pick. no one can argue that it isn't a position of need maybe not top priority but a definite need posion so why not fill it with the top player in the draft at that position rather then the 5th best player at safety because DT is a greater need. It would not be my first choice but adding a top safety to our D is a great start since the Tampa-2 puts more importance on the safety play vs the CBs. McClain would be a great pick but with Rudd still on the team the upgrade at MLB would not be as great as safety where a great safety would be a big upgrade. We all know that DT is a top priority but if the top 2 are off the board then you have to go with BPA. we can't look at rebuilding this team in one year but if you keep drafting the BPA in every round you start building talent. BPA doesn't mean that you ignore needs but it does mean that talent is more important then filling holes especially when there are so many holes to fill.

Nice try, but there's no way to justify taking a safety at #3.

Trading down a few spots and taking Brian Price would be a much better idea. You could also pick up a good safety with that extra pick you get.

You can when the player is Eric Berry.

I'd rather have one exceptional player than 2 'good' ones.

McClain is an exceptional player, and just as worthy as the number 3 selection as Berry is.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 21, 2010, 06:06:39 PM

If they can't trade and are stuck at 3 then Berry rates as BPA he is ranked at #1 on most draft boards so if we can't trade out of 3 then getting the top ranked player in the draft isn't a bad pick. no one can argue that it isn't a position of need maybe not top priority but a definite need posion so why not fill it with the top player in the draft at that position rather then the 5th best player at safety because DT is a greater need. It would not be my first choice but adding a top safety to our D is a great start since the Tampa-2 puts more importance on the safety play vs the CBs. McClain would be a great pick but with Rudd still on the team the upgrade at MLB would not be as great as safety where a great safety would be a big upgrade. We all know that DT is a top priority but if the top 2 are off the board then you have to go with BPA. we can't look at rebuilding this team in one year but if you keep drafting the BPA in every round you start building talent. BPA doesn't mean that you ignore needs but it does mean that talent is more important then filling holes especially when there are so many holes to fill.

Trading down a few spots and taking Brian Price would be a much better idea. You could also pick up a good safety with that extra pick you get.

Have you even seen Eric Berry play this year? None of that screams impact player, seriously any safety could do what he did this year playing in the box. He didn't even have to make alot of tackles, most of it was just contain kind of stuff. He missed a few too many tackles as well when it was his job.

I'd definitely rather have a Tommie Harris and Brian Dawkins than an Ed Reed ( which I don't even think Berry will ever be as good as)

SonnyCrockett

Starter

#17 : January 21, 2010, 06:08:25 PM

Ruud : McClain :: Tanard : Berry

(don't know if I did that right, its been a while)

I don't think you can really make the 'Ruud is suitable enough' argument and then lobby for Berry when essentially the same sitaution exists there.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 21, 2010, 06:11:19 PM

Berry can play FS & SS, so it should read Ruud : McClain :: Sabby : Berry

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 21, 2010, 06:13:19 PM

Ruud : McClain :: Tanard : Berry

(don't know if I did that right, its been a while)

I don't think you can really make the 'Ruud is suitable enough' argument and then lobby for Berry when essentially the same sitaution exists there.

Well people are assuming he'll take over at SS for Sabby. He'd be alot more suited at FS, but Tanard is doing a good job back there.

SS is maybe the 2nd or 3rd least important position on this defense though, and definitely not worth a #3 pick overall.

People say he could play CB as well, but to me that still isn't worth it.

Madman

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 21, 2010, 06:13:30 PM

Have you even seen Eric Berry play this year? None of that screams impact player, seriously any safety could do what he did this year playing in the box. He didn't even have to make alot of tackles, most of it was just contain kind of stuff. He missed a few too many tackles as well when it was his job.

I'd definitely rather have a Tommie Harris and Brian Dawkins than an Ed Reed ( which I don't even think Berry will ever be as good as)

Of course I've seen EB play - plenty last year and this year. The guy is a major impact player.

Brian Dawkins and Tommie Harris are two pro bowl caliber players. What you meant was - you'd rather have Roy Miller and Tanard Jackson over Ed Reed.

tenfive

Starter

#21 : January 21, 2010, 06:18:39 PM

The point is that if Kiper Mcshay Joyner and other draft experts feel Berry is the best player in the draft regardless of position and you can take him why not, I only saw a couple of Tennessee games this year so I'm depending on the experts and if they are right then it seems like the logical choice. I like McClain alot and think he would be great here but who would have a greater impact and I agree going safety at #3 is high but to not take the best player in the draft at 3 because he is a safety doesn't make sense. How many RBs have gone high in the draft when most teams feel like there are plenty of good backs to be had in later rounds like when Cadillac was the 3rd RB taken with the 5th pick in the draft.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 21, 2010, 06:20:34 PM

Of course I've seen EB play - plenty last year and this year. The guy is a major impact player.

Brian Dawkins and Tommie Harris are two pro bowl caliber players. What you meant was - you'd rather have Roy Miller and Tanard Jackson over Ed Reed.

He's really made little impact plays this year at SS playing in the box most of the time.

Someone watch this video and tell me they want to spend a #3 overall pick on this:

Either they put him at CB or FS and move Tanard around, this guy can't play SS.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 21, 2010, 06:22:41 PM

put him at FS and move Tanard around to SS.

I imagine that this would be the plan if we picked Berry

Madman

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 21, 2010, 06:24:24 PM

Well, a vid of his lowlights insn't gonna change my mind about the player.

Who do you want the Bucs taking at 3 then (if Suh and McCoy are gone)? Saying trade down is a cop out.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 21, 2010, 06:48:25 PM

Well, a vid of his lowlights insn't gonna change my mind about the player.

Who do you want the Bucs taking at 3 then (if Suh and McCoy are gone)? Saying trade down is a cop out.

That's not even a video of his lowlights, it was just the plays he was involved with in the whole game. I wouldn't call alot of those plays bad (although he did miss a few tackles), he still did his job with containing and filtering the play the proper direction. He's not a bad tackler, but he does have somewhat bad technique. He usually does bring people down well, but sometimes it's just him flying at them knocking them off balance while they hobble for an extra few yards.

I just don't see 3rd overall kind of impact for a player like that at SS. I don't see why a 2nd round player couldn't do exactly what he did in that video.

There's really no one worth picking at #3 if suh and mccoy are gone. Trading down isn't a cop out. Even if we get a 3rd rounder for a team to move up a few spots, it'd still be worth it. There's alot of talent in this draft, we could definitely get a future starter or contributor with a 3rd round pick.

SonnyCrockett

Starter

#26 : January 21, 2010, 06:59:22 PM

Berry can play FS & SS, so it should read Ruud : McClain :: Sabby : Berry

Berry can play SS, but it's not his true position and alot of his ability is wasted there. McClain probably can play OLB too, so the argument still turns against itself.

X Factor

Starter
#27 : January 21, 2010, 07:51:39 PM

There are going to be SOOOO many more risers and fallers so who knows 2 months from now who the "the experts"
say we take... Not to mention the fact that Raheem and Dominick have come out said that they love SS Stuckey and our going to take a long look at him. Brian Price's stock is already dropping for some reason, Dez Bryant's has been rising. Penn's work ethic has been called into question and sources say they are seriously gonna look at a OT with a high pick... And we havn't even hit the Combine yet, lol....

Mike Williams by Xfactor32, on Flickr

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 21, 2010, 07:53:15 PM

Dominik and Raheem are an easy read.   Kiper was right last year saying they would take Freeman.   He's right again this year.

SonnyCrockett

Starter

#29 : January 21, 2010, 08:07:10 PM

Dominik and Raheem are an easy read. Kiper was right last year saying they would take Freeman. He's right again this year.

This may be true.

Also, Rah is a DB guy, I'm sure he drools over Berry and Haden.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kipers first mock has the Bucs taking......... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools