Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Worst DL vs the Run « previous next »
Page: 1

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

: January 28, 2010, 10:36:47 AM

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2010/stat-day-dl-stop-rate-vs-run

Rather unshockingly we had 2 of the worst DL vs the run in the league. What will shock you is who those 2 guys are:

Tim Crowder is the 4th worst in the league
Roy Miller is the 9th worst which may explain why he never displaced Hovan or Sims.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 28, 2010, 10:41:28 AM

I'm actually really surprised, I thought those guys did well in their limited action. Miller is a rookie though and does have alot of time to improve before calling him terrible. Crowder showed some real hussle on plays and got some good sacks, but I guess he is a one dimensional pass rusher.

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#2 : January 28, 2010, 12:09:25 PM

And people wonder why there's a vocal group of Bucs fans who are opposed to adding another DB to the roster with the #3 overall pick.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 28, 2010, 12:46:24 PM

There are a few caveats to the data.  For example, a DL that makes a tackle in backside pursuit is penalized.
No shock about Miller, though, as DTs notoriously take at least a year to be NFL-ready.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 28, 2010, 01:00:06 PM

Actually, I think this stat is extremely misleading.  I think "stops" is a useful statistic, but i don't think "stop-rate" is worth all that much.

As brads points out, backside pursuit is going to be penalized, as are most "hustle" type plays - and if anything, that's Crowder's entire game.

I'll give you an example - Roy Miller and Hovan are lined up next to each other - Hovan gets blocked out of his gap, Miller turns and drags the ball carrier down 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. If you are looking just at stop-rate, Miller's play would be a negative, but Hovan's "stop-rate" wouldn't be affected at all.

And please, I'm not saying that we were good against the run.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 28, 2010, 01:06:59 PM

Actually, I think this stat is extremely misleading.

Agreed.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 28, 2010, 01:14:28 PM

Somebody in the comments section over at FO mentioned it, but maybe a better stat would be "stops per run-play" (instead of stops as a share of run tackles/assists). 

It wouldn't tell you everything you need to know (it still would be silent on plays where guys blew up the backfield but didn't make the tackle), but it would give an indication of how frequently run defenders are making "splash tackles."

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 28, 2010, 01:44:07 PM

Pretty surprised to see Sean Cody so high. The stink in Detroit must be even worse than I thought for him to turn his career around so quickly.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#8 : January 28, 2010, 02:35:03 PM

Usually football outsiders has unique interesting stats, however this one is useless IMO. Basically any player who hustles and chases down backs down field isn't a good run defender according to this.

And basically if you get destroyed and blown out of the whole and don't touch the back it doesn't even matter.

Our run D was complete **CENSORED**, however this is a bad stat attempt IMO.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Worst DL vs the Run « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools