Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: more from PFT.com « previous next »
Page: 1 2

: March 03, 2007, 02:07:44 PM

POSTED 1:30 p.m. EST, March 3, 2007

TRADE PUTS PLUMMER IN A CORNER

The trade of quarterback Jake Plummer to the Bucs is aimed at preventing Plummer from retiring for a few months and then unretiring to play for the Texans, explains Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Per Schefter, the trade states that Plummer either unretires and plays for the Bucs, or Plummer retires and the Broncos retain the ability to pursue the unallocated portion of his signing bonus.

But if Plummer unretires, Tampa will have to have $5.3 million in cap room to carry his base salary.  So, in essence, Plummer can opt to force Tampa's hand by saying, "Sure, I'll show up."  It will force Tampa to pay him $5.3 million or cut him.

Or trade him, perhaps to the Texans.

Regardless of how it all works out, it's an odd development for a day on which the headline in Tampa should be the acquisition of quarterback Jeff Garcia.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#1 : March 03, 2007, 02:09:00 PM

Plummer isn't going to outsmart Allen, no matter how hard he tries.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 03, 2007, 02:09:45 PM

Unbelievable.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 03, 2007, 02:10:33 PM

Which further says to me that Plummer is on the move. Don't think the Bucs want to be on the hook for that $5.3 million.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#4 : March 03, 2007, 02:10:55 PM

A trade is coming very shortly, obviously.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 03, 2007, 02:11:24 PM

Insane, we have to figure this out and Petitgout and Deon Grant are going to have to wait.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 03, 2007, 02:12:05 PM

POSTED 1:30 p.m. EST, March 3, 2007

TRADE PUTS PLUMMER IN A CORNER

The trade of quarterback Jake Plummer to the Bucs is aimed at preventing Plummer from retiring for a few months and then unretiring to play for the Texans, explains Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Per Schefter, the trade states that Plummer either unretires and plays for the Bucs, or Plummer retires and the Broncos retain the ability to pursue the unallocated portion of his signing bonus.

But if Plummer unretires, Tampa will have to have $5.3 million in cap room to carry his base salary.  So, in essence, Plummer can opt to force Tampa's hand by saying, "Sure, I'll show up."  It will force Tampa to pay him $5.3 million or cut him.

Or trade him, perhaps to the Texans.

Regardless of how it all works out, it's an odd development for a day on which the headline in Tampa should be the acquisition of quarterback Jeff Garcia.

wow this is fantastic. I think the Bucs can afford to keep 5 million off the salary cap especialy if Garcia got the same contract as Simms.

Plummer is cheap trade bait.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#7 : March 03, 2007, 02:28:13 PM

Insane, we have to figure this out and Petitgout and Deon Grant are going to have to wait.
The Bucs still have plenty of cap room for other players. And as long as Plummer is retired he isn't taking up any cap room I don't think.

simmsj22

Starter

#8 : March 03, 2007, 03:18:26 PM

trade him to houston for david carr and maybe send a 7th round pick or so with him... Garcia, Carr, and Simms would give us a vet who we know who can play, a guy with some promise whos young, and another guy who has shown flashes of being a solid qb with a cannon for an arm.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 03, 2007, 03:21:41 PM

The Bucs still have plenty of cap room for other players. And as long as Plummer is retired he isn't taking up any cap room I don't think.

If he shows up, then he cost us jack. He can actually wait anytime and unretire and report so we have to keep that $5.3m cleared.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 03, 2007, 03:23:04 PM

Plummer has all the cards here, we've got none. He didn't go to HOU because HOU didn't want to trade draft picks for him. So I'm not sure who we can move him off to.  He can stay retired and be happy. He can show up, collect $5.3m for cruising on the bench or force a cut.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 03, 2007, 03:24:02 PM

It seems to me like we have wasted a lot of time on a trade that essentially cost nothing and netted us nothing.

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#12 : March 03, 2007, 03:25:15 PM

I think the trade to Houston will go down before the end of the week.

#13 : March 03, 2007, 03:27:29 PM

Plummer has all the cards here, we've got none. He didn't go to HOU because HOU didn't want to trade draft picks for him. So I'm not sure who we can move him off to.  He can stay retired and be happy. He can show up, collect $5.3m for cruising on the bench or force a cut.

Wasn't Plummer supposed to restructure or was that just part of the first (old) scenario when the trade was for this years 4th ?

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#14 : March 03, 2007, 03:28:07 PM

Maybe they trade Simms to Detroit too. It's been that crazy.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: more from PFT.com « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools