Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 13 year old David Sills commits to USC « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
: February 05, 2010, 01:22:56 AM

Lane Kiffin really is getting a jump on recruiting.

No sooner had the Trojans new coach put the finishing touches on the Class of 2010 recruits, that he turned his attention to the Class of 2015.

That's right, 2015.

Thursday evening Kiffin received a verbal commitment from 13-year old wunderkind quarterback David Sills of Bear, Del.

Too young?

Not according to his personal coach Steve Clarkson, who has mentored some of the game's best quarterbacks including current USC starter Matt Barkley.

"His skill set is off the chart," Clarkson said. "I've never seen anyone at his age do what he's been able to do."

The commitment, which was first reported by ESPN's Shelley Smith, has happened in college basketball previously, but is unprecedented for college football where it's harder to project how a player as young as Sills will develop physically. Clarkson says that won't be a problem.

"He's already six feet as a 13-year old," Clarkson said. "And he's breaking down NFL footage."

Clarkson said the scholarship offer emerged after he called Kiffin to discuss a quarterback recruit for next year's class.

Clarkson said Kiffin asked him his opinion of the recruit and Clarkson said, "You might call me crazy, but you've known me a long time, right? And when I said if there was going to be a LeBron James of football it'd be Jimmy Clausen that turned out to be a pretty good prediction.

"And when I said Matt Barkley had the potential to be as good as Jimmy, he ended up winning Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior and starting at USC as a freshman, right?

"Well, I've got a kid now who is better than all of them and he's in Delaware. You gotta take a look at him."

Clarkson then directed Kiffin to a video of Sills that is making the rounds on YouTube.

Kiffin watched it and called him back immediately.

"He was like, 'This kid is incredible. How old is he again?'

"I was like, 'That's the problem, he's 13.' "

A couple of hours later, the Sills family called Kiffin and they spoke for the first time. USC had always been Sills' dream school, according to his father, David Sills IV.

"I'm as shocked as anybody," Sills' father said. "I was just talking with friends yesterday about what it'll be like four years from now when David goes through the recruiting process. I never expected this to happen so soon.

"But David's always wanted to go to USC. I mean, is there a better place to play football in the country? How can you pass up the best offer you're ever going to get?"

The younger Sills, who is an seventh-grader at Red Lion Christian Academy in Bear, Del., has been training with Clarkson for three years. They meet about once every six weeks at various locations around the country. Sometimes in California, where Clarkson is based. Sometimes in Delaware. And sometimes somewhere in the middle, if Clarkson is conducting a clinic.

"Steve and David hit it off immediately," David Sills IV said. "If there's ever anything David is doing wrong, Steve can fix it in like 10 minutes."

Still, 2015 is a long time from now. A lot can change.

"Well, we're going to be out to California in a few weeks and we'll meet Lane then," Sills' father said. "We're excited to meet him. And we're excited to verbally commit. Hopefully it all works out in the future."

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 05, 2010, 01:37:11 AM

how sad.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 05, 2010, 08:21:23 PM

Jimmy Clausen is the LeBron James of football?? ..... Did I miss something??

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : February 05, 2010, 09:47:12 PM

Pathetic.

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 06, 2010, 01:04:51 AM

That kids got a great future a head of him and I really hope he doesn't have any mental or physical problems.

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 06, 2010, 01:14:49 AM

hope he likes USC when the NCAA cracks down on them

luke99

Starter

#6 : February 06, 2010, 06:27:30 AM

This is Great. A young man wants to go to College. He is a great young QB for his age.. If he can stay on this path he will be going to College.. Where is the Problem??

There is none

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 06, 2010, 11:44:04 AM

This is Great. A young man wants to go to College. He is a great young QB for his age.. If he can stay on this path he will be going to College.. Where is the Problem??

There is none
I see your point but the problem is that at 13 your body is changing a lot mentally and physically so at 18 he may not be as good as he is now at 18 he could just be a awkward young man not to mention the hell that USC then has to go through
if this kid doesn't do so great at the next level and the next level for him is still high school now you have to look at the mental side of things and what if at some point he just stops loving the game and go's on the play golf or something strange like that.
USC Then would have to Fire Lane for offering a 13 year old a scholarship the first year into his job and they would be screwed the for entire recruiting class that year.

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 06, 2010, 03:25:51 PM

The problem is ANY prospective recruit is ONLY to be sent brochures and questionnaires prior to their junior year of high school or no more than 2 years prior to college eligibility. Offering a Scholarship to a kid who isn't even in HS yet would seem to be a bit of a rules violation.

Not that Lane ever bothered with the rules.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 07, 2010, 01:37:47 PM

There is none

its always good to commit to a school without ever meeting the coach, right?  how about touring the campus?

Kid looks like he can take care of himself

how in the world do you come to this conclusion?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 06, 2010, 08:11:31 PM

There is none
I see your point but the problem is that at 13 your body is changing a lot mentally and physically so at 18 he may not be as good as he is now at 18 he could just be a awkward young man not to mention the hell that USC then has to go through
if this kid doesn't do so great at the next level and the next level for him is still high school now you have to look at the mental side of things and what if at some point he just stops loving the game and go's on the play golf or something strange like that.
USC Then would have to Fire Lane for offering a 13 year old a scholarship the first year into his job and they would be screwed the for entire recruiting class that year.
[/color]

Are you sure you fully understand how this whole college football recruiting thingy works??   :-

Unless that was joke, then you got me ...

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 06, 2010, 08:17:38 PM

The problem is ANY prospective recruit is ONLY to be sent brochures and questionnaires prior to their junior year of high school or no more than 2 years prior to college eligibility. Offering a Scholarship to a kid who isn't even in HS yet would seem to be a bit of a rules violation.

Not that Lane ever bothered with the rules.

Plus the fact that he's now got a nice little target on his back from now until high school ...

luke99

Starter

#12 : February 06, 2010, 08:27:00 PM

Any Kid who is good has a target on his back... Kid looks like he can take care of himself

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#13 : February 07, 2010, 02:11:07 PM

Lane Kiffen has got to be the biggest **CENSORED**tard in the world.  He is nothing more than a losing media whore coach. Seriously the guy has a losing record as a HC and seems to come up with nothing but stunts and stretch rules to get his name out there. He is like a POS used car salesman.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 15, 2010, 10:21:17 AM

Lane Kiffin is a moron.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 13 year old David Sills commits to USC « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools