Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: More on Plummer « previous next »
Page: 1

: March 03, 2007, 10:26:15 PM

from PFT:

POSTED 10:15 p.m. EST, March 3, 2007

UNION TO PROTEST PLUMMER TRADE

A league source tells us that the NFL Players Association is expected to file a grievance objecting to the trade that sent Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer to the Buccaneers for a conditional 2008 draft pick.

The argument is that, because Plummer actually filed retirement papers on Friday, his rights cannot be traded.

And while the NFLPA likely has a valid point, the immediate question is why do they care?  If Plummer is retired, then he's retired. 

If the grievance is successful, the trade most likely would be voided, and Plummer's rights returned to the Broncos. 

It's believed that the Bucs plan to trade Plummer's rights to the Raiders.  It's also believed that Plummer wants to play for the Texans.

Stay tuned.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#1 : March 03, 2007, 10:27:49 PM

The Union's gonna win that one. If he filed his papers, he can't be traded.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

Larry Brackins

Starter
#2 : March 03, 2007, 10:38:03 PM

If he was truly intent on retiring, it wouldn't matter.
Does anybody believe that he truly intends on retiring though?

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

TBYFLBuc

Second String

#3 : March 03, 2007, 10:30:42 PM

Any word on if he did actually file or not. It should be obvious one way or another. If we own his sorry panty-wuss a$$ I  can't wait to trade him for someone with some talent.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 03, 2007, 10:32:52 PM

Pirates:

I'm struggling on resolving this point, and perhaps the union protest will be the thing that sorts it out for certain. I have not been able to get any solid information on this particular point.

Anyhow, I have the entire CBA document here, and it does address the fact that a team continues to hold a player's rights if he retires before the end of his contract. However, nothing I can find in the CBA addresses the issue of whether or not the team holding a retired player's rights can trade those rights to another team. The problem is that when you trade a player, you're trading his contract and not the player.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#5 : March 03, 2007, 10:33:41 PM

Pirates:

I'm struggling on resolving this point, and perhaps the union protest will be the thing that sorts it out for certain. I have not been able to get any solid information on this particular point.

Anyhow, I have the entire CBA document here, and it does address the fact that a team continues to hold a player's rights if he retires before the end of his contract. However, nothing I can find in the CBA addresses the issue of whether or not the team holding a retired player's rights can trade those rights to another team. The problem is that when you trade a player, you're trading his contract and not the player.
Oh alright. That's interesting, thanks for the info.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 03, 2007, 10:34:42 PM

man,when will this stuff get done

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

#7 : March 03, 2007, 10:35:54 PM

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 03, 2007, 10:36:43 PM

At this point, Plummer is really just a sideline story. The big deal was the signing of Garcia. In the end, Plummer's trade is a low-risk, high-reward crapshoot for the Bucs.

goto11

Starter
#9 : March 03, 2007, 10:36:53 PM

Why would Jake want to have his rights retained by the team that wanted to get rid of him to the highest bidder?  If he really wants to play in Houston, it seems like his best bet is to remain with the Bucs.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 03, 2007, 10:40:19 PM

At this point, Plummer is really just a sideline story. The big deal was the signing of Garcia. In the end, Plummer's trade is a low-risk, high-reward crapshoot for the Bucs.
yea,im just glad we saved 5 mill

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

FireThemCannons

Second String

#11 : March 03, 2007, 10:40:34 PM

Does anybody believe that he truly intends on retiring though?

NO, not even a chance. Him just sad, because him didn't get to go where he wanted :'(
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: More on Plummer « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools