Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Offseason Wishlist/Predictions........ « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

acacius

Hall of Famer

: October 20, 2006, 11:10:47 AM

No. Our kicker on the year is 2/5. I get flashbacks to Martin Gramatica's decline sometimes with Bryant. The thing about getting a stud kicker is that it might take only a second day pick or less than a million in FA (although I don't think that any FA Ks are very good this year).

K is one of those underrated positions that aren't too expensive to fill, but are really essential. You can make the argument that last year Bryant's good year was the difference between the playoffs last year and a number 5 pick in the draft the year before. He's not performing this year, and he doesn't have the range. It's hard to find that great kicker, but we need to be looking.

I agree that the team looks like it needs to do something to upgrade the kicking game this offseason.  I'd just hope that the team wouldn't get caught up too much in any draft hype.  I mean, Nugent for example was supposed to be the greatest things since sliced bread and an absolute can't miss prospect.  And he simply hasn't been lighting things up.  So a mid-late round pick?  Sure.  A first day pick?  I'd go ballistic.  Which isn't to say that I'm suggesting that you were saying otherwise.  I was just offering my own thoughts on the matter.

And as far as center goes (replying to other posts), I still think we should be able to get a very serviceable center either through free agency or later in the draft.  The team should be able to put together a very worthwhile line without first or second round talent at EVERY position, especially on the interior.  We found Buenning in the fourth (even if he isn't currently starting for some reason).  Let's see if the team can't do it again.

bucshot224

Second String

#1 : October 18, 2006, 06:21:31 PM

Free Agency-

1. We sign Lance Briggs.....it has been rumored that he is very unhappy in Chicago and will likely hit the open market. Since we will have an enormous amount of cap space, we would be able to sign him easily. Brooks still has at least two years under his belt as a great player. Briggs is very capable of playing on the other side until Brooks is done here.

2. We trade Simeon and aquire a draft choice. This would be perfest because we would be able to use this draft choice to aquire #3.

3. Sign Jared Allen, who is a RFA this offseason, to an offer sheet. Since we would be able to get at least a 3rd rounder for Rice, we would be able to give it to Kansas City along with a second or fourth. Or, we just trade 'em straight up. Jared Allen is an up and coming DE who is very much like Dewayne White. He can play anywhere along the line and is extremely disruptive. Would also come much cheaper than Freeney.

4. Sign a Safety. TO me, it doesn't really matter who it is, as long as it's an upgrade. John Lynch would be very nice, but we are trying to revamp our D and John just doesn't make any sense. Michael Lewis would be very nice if available. Perfect fit. Some other Safety's worth pursuing would be Ken Hamlin, and Gibril Wilson. All young studs.

5. Find some way to get rid of Brian Kelly. I don't care how we do it, just as llong as we do. There is a lot of young talent at corner that is going to be available via FA. Nate Clements heads the list. But for how much money he would be looking for, I wouldn't recommend breaking the bank to sign him. If the Colts do indeed sign Freeney, Nick Harper would almost certainly hit the open market. I would really like to have him or a guy like Asante Samuel.

6. Get some studs on the O-Line. At T, Mike Gandy and Max Starks head my list. Forget Leonard Davis. He is a high priced bust. You can forget Anthony Davis too. We WILL look to make an upgrade at T. As far as G/C goes, I really like Eric Steinbach. He can play both positons and is very flexible along the line. I say let Buenning play and put Steiner at C.

7. Now, for a little FA icing on the cake, how about Drew Bennett? The Titans will likely sign him, and for good reason. But do I hear Joe? Another pass catching TE would be very nice in the red zone. Maybe an Eric Johnson?

The Draft-

1. Quinn Pit**CENSORED** DT Ohio Sate
This guy is a MONSTER along the line and would be perfect alongside of Hovan. Great run-stopper. Eats up the blocks and is just flat out explosive. The best pick of the draft for us.

2. Sam Baker OT USC
Has never been over hyped and is a very solid player. If there is one guy that would be able to cover Bruce's blind side, it would be him.

Remember, this is a wishlist and most of these aquisitions will not happen. But, I do think that or lineup will look like this:

Defense-

FS: Will Allen  SS: Michael Lewis
CB: Ronde Barber  CB: Nick Harper  NB: Alan Zemaitis
OLB: Lance Briggs  MLB: Barrett Ruud  OLB: Derrick Brooks
DE: Jared Allen  DT: Quinn Pit**CENSORED**  DT: Chris Hovan  DE: Dewayne White
An almost completely restructured defense that hasn't played together. Over time they will be great.

Offense-

QB: Bruce Gradkowski
RB: Cadillac Williams
FB: Mike Alstott
OT: Sam Baker  OG: Dan Buenning  C: Eric Steinbach  OG: Davin Joseph  OT: Jeremy Trueblood
TE: Alex Smith
WR: Joey Galloway  WR: Michael Clayton
K: Matt Bryant  P: Josh Bidwell
PR/KR: Phillip Buchanon

Well, that's what I think, or at least hope our offeason turns out. I just figured I'd put everything that I thought into one post......discuss.  ;D

Stand For Something or Fall For Anything

#2 : October 18, 2006, 06:28:57 PM

Free Agency-

1. We sign Lance Briggs.....it has been rumored that he is very unhappy in Chicago and will likely hit the open market. Since we will have an enormous amount of cap space, we would be able to sign him easily. Brooks still has at least two years under his belt as a great player. Briggs is very capable of playing on the other side until Brooks is done here.

2. We trade Simeon and aquire a draft choice. This would be perfest because we would be able to use this draft choice to aquire #3.

3. Sign Jared Allen, who is a RFA this offseason, to an offer sheet. Since we would be able to get at least a 3rd rounder for Rice, we would be able to give it to Kansas City along with a second or fourth. Or, we just trade 'em straight up. Jared Allen is an up and coming DE who is very much like Dewayne White. He can play anywhere along the line and is extremely disruptive. Would also come much cheaper than Freeney.

4. Sign a Safety. TO me, it doesn't really matter who it is, as long as it's an upgrade. John Lynch would be very nice, but we are trying to revamp our D and John just doesn't make any sense. Michael Lewis would be very nice if available. Perfect fit. Some other Safety's worth pursuing would be Ken Hamlin, and Gibril Wilson. All young studs.

5. Find some way to get rid of Brian Kelly. I don't care how we do it, just as llong as we do. There is a lot of young talent at corner that is going to be available via FA. Nate Clements heads the list. But for how much money he would be looking for, I wouldn't recommend breaking the bank to sign him. If the Colts do indeed sign Freeney, Nick Harper would almost certainly hit the open market. I would really like to have him or a guy like Asante Samuel.

6. Get some studs on the O-Line. At T, Mike Gandy and Max Starks head my list. Forget Leonard Davis. He is a high priced bust. You can forget Anthony Davis too. We WILL look to make an upgrade at T. As far as G/C goes, I really like Eric Steinbach. He can play both positons and is very flexible along the line. I say let Buenning play and put Steiner at C.

7. Now, for a little FA icing on the cake, how about Drew Bennett? The Titans will likely sign him, and for good reason. But do I hear Joe? Another pass catching TE would be very nice in the red zone. Maybe an Eric Johnson?

The Draft-

1. Quinn Pit**CENSORED** DT Ohio Sate
This guy is a MONSTER along the line and would be perfect alongside of Hovan. Great run-stopper. Eats up the blocks and is just flat out explosive. The best pick of the draft for us.

2. Sam Baker OT USC
Has never been over hyped and is a very solid player. If there is one guy that would be able to cover Bruce's blind side, it would be him.

Remember, this is a wishlist and most of these aquisitions will not happen. But, I do think that or lineup will look like this:

Defense-

FS: Will Allen SS: Michael Lewis
CB: Ronde Barber CB: Nick Harper NB: Alan Zemaitis
OLB: Lance Briggs MLB: Barrett Ruud OLB: Derrick Brooks
DE: Jared Allen DT: Quinn Pit**CENSORED** DT: Chris Hovan DE: Dewayne White
An almost completely restructured defense that hasn't played together. Over time they will be great.

Offense-

QB: Bruce Gradkowski
RB: Cadillac Williams
FB: Mike Alstott
OT: Sam Baker OG: Dan Buenning C: Eric Steinbach OG: Davin Joseph OT: Jeremy Trueblood
TE: Alex Smith
WR: Joey Galloway WR: Michael Clayton
K: Matt Bryant P: Josh Bidwell
PR/KR: Phillip Buchanon

Well, that's what I think, or at least hope our offeason turns out. I just figured I'd put everything that I thought into one post......discuss. ;D
1. Davis has been great this year
2. Jared Allen is a turd who has alcohol issues, no thanks
3. I think we have enough TEs at this point and WRs (let's give Stovall a bigger role before speaking of Bennett)
4. Michael Lewis is awful in coverage

bucshot224

Second String

#3 : October 18, 2006, 06:36:54 PM

1. Davis has been great this year
2. Jared Allen is a turd who has alcohol issues, no thanks
3. I think we have enough TEs at this point and WRs (let's give Stovall a bigger role before speaking of Bennett)
4. Michael Lewis is awful in coverage
1. I will agree that Davis has played well this year. But we can do better.
2. Jared Allen is by no means a "turd". He's had 20 sacks in the past two seasons.
3. I never put A new TE or WR into what I actually thought or roster would look like.
4. Michael Lewis is a SS and doesn't really have to be that great in coverage. He's a pro bowler for other reasons.
5. I like thwe input.

Stand For Something or Fall For Anything

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 18, 2006, 07:10:27 PM

1. We're not even half way through the season.
2. Bucs have only played 5 games thus far.
3. It's still October.
4. The playoffs haven't even started.
5. Too early to even be thinking about this kind of thing.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 18, 2006, 07:29:33 PM

I want you to buy a bridge in Brooklyn

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 18, 2006, 07:36:46 PM

No way Baker is there in round 2.  I doubt both of our 2nd rounders would get us high enough to draft him.

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 18, 2006, 08:00:29 PM

I say no to Jared Allen. I dont like him as a player or person.

And I dont see why you dislike Kelly. If you remeber he is one of the best tackler's on the team, he is damn good in coverage, and can be a playmaker. Yeah he is having some injury issues this year but who knows if this isnt a short term thing.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#8 : October 18, 2006, 08:02:25 PM

2. Jared Allen is by no means a "turd". He's had 20 sacks in the past two seasons.
3. I never put A new TE or WR into what I actually thought or roster would look like.
4. Michael Lewis is a SS and doesn't really have to be that great in coverage. He's a pro bowler for other reasons.
5. I like thwe input.

You can't just throw a proven commodity like Davis in the trash heap. I've been one of his bigger critics, but the guy has played better than our other OL the past two seasons. Making him our RT, thats one thing. Taking him out of the lineup all together and just saying "forget about him" is quite another.

I don't really like the Allen idea as I see him as a slightly above average DE. From what I've seen, he's a poor man's Rice; very inconsistent and not quite the threat against top tier LTs. But I may be wrong. Stats and age may make him quite difficult to sign to an adequate contract.

I'm completely anti-Lewis. He's going to be a high $$$ FA, and seems to be a weak link in Philly's secondary. Solid player, yes. An upgrade, definitely. Worth what he's going to get, absolutely not. Just look at Washington and Archuleta. Their fans seem to really regret that signing. I don't want that to be us.

Having said that, I agree completely about Briggs. He's just what the doctor order for this run defense. Size, sideline to sideline speed, and can tackle like few others can.

I agree on shopping Rice, but I think we replace him with the DE we pick up in the 1st round. Pit**CENSORED** is NOT worth where we'd be picking. Adams and Moses are both considered top 15 picks by most and can create a nice pass rush from day 1 and have a ton of potential. I really question Quinn's ability to create a pass rush at the next level.

If we can get Hamlin or Wilson for moderate money, jump on it.

I'm also still a fan of getting Derrick's replacement in the early 2nd, if Kyle Young isn't there.

#9 : October 18, 2006, 08:04:11 PM

I like most of it

Sign Gibril WIlson (this guy is a stud)

Trade Simeon Rice for a 2nd or 3rd

Sign Drew Bennett

Sign or draft a stud OT and a good young Center

Possibly sign Clements depending on if we sign the Tackle and what the cap looks like

Draft Gaines Adams, Moses, Joe Thomas, Levi Brown or Buster Davis in round 1

Move Anthony Davis to his more natural position of RT and let him compete with Trueblood.

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 18, 2006, 08:04:52 PM

O, and let us please find a new kicker.

#11 : October 18, 2006, 08:06:27 PM

5. I like thwe input.
by 'turd' I meant guy who should be in jail because of his anger / alcohol issues....he may have 10 sack average but if he's in jail what good does he do us? Plus no thanks I wouldn't give up any draft picks for him.

gone

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 18, 2006, 08:17:10 PM

We'll look for a new center, no doubt.  We WILL not be replacing AD.  He's better than he looks to us as fans.  Very likely we'll look for a big name on D, more likely Briggs than Freeney, but freeny really depends on the colts choices and I think they'll tag him an drop someone else.  Briggs'll go to the highest bidder, CHI just can't put that much payola on one side of the ball.  Clements may be another big name.
My guess based on the picture in front of us now is:
1st round center
Briggs in FA
Clements maybe

I also wouldn't be surprised if we traded for Moss...

#13 : October 18, 2006, 08:20:13 PM

I agree, dont want to trade a 2nd round pick and 3rd for Jared ALlen, who you compare to Dewayne WHite. I like Allen, but if he's not a UFA Im not interested. Especially when you consider how many different DEs from around teh league have been average NFL players until they came to this system and had great year(s)

1st round center? Who in the top 15? Give me Levi Brown or Joe Thomas, both are bluechip LT and both will be the best OL on the board when teh BUcs pick. I like Anthony Davis and Trueblood too, but I dont see this OL being anything special with our current talent at Tackle. Give me a blue chipper at LT and let those 2 who seem to be more of RT than LT, battle it out at RT

Orangegone1

Starter

#14 : October 18, 2006, 08:25:49 PM

I would like a solid veteran C. Then draft one in the later rounds.
Best CB in draft in round 1
Move Barber to S
If Kelly is healthy I don't see the need to get rid of him. He is under contract at a good price.
Sign D. White
FA S Maybe K. Hamlin
FA OT or at least by the 3rd round.
FA DT and another one in the 2nd round.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Offseason Wishlist/Predictions........ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools