Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Offseason Wishlist/Predictions........ « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

chcwarriorpoet

Second String

#30 : October 19, 2006, 03:37:36 PM

I'm with Cvillebucfan on the draft. Marcus Thomas fits our system much better than Pit**CENSORED**. Even if we play .500 ball the rest of the season we're still drafting in the top half. That's  a good position to land our undertackle of the future. Take Rouse or Zibkowski from Dame with the first second round pick and look at DE with the next pick. We've neglected the defense in the draft the past few years. We need young talent at all levels of the defense.

I think a center would be better to get in free agency. Remember last year Mangold went to the Jets and one of his best qualities was his intelligence in calling line audibles. In general its safer to get a pro veteran who is a proven decision maker in audible calls for blitz pick up. College guys might not be up to that task so you have more of an unknown. Jeff Faine was a first rounder for Cleveland. At the time they said he'd be their center for a decade but they ended up signing Bentley and trading Faine a few years later. Quality centers can be found in free agency so I'd rather get one there.

#31 : October 19, 2006, 06:55:40 PM

My ideal draft would have us with a top 5 pick. Adrian Peterson goes #1 overall and a team like the Raiders takes Brady Quinn #2. Bucs take Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson in the 3-5 range, then trade both 2nd orund picks to get in the 15-25 range and draft Buster Davis or maybe even Meriweather, Adams or Moses

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#32 : October 19, 2006, 07:29:24 PM

I'd still guess rd1 center.  Trade down if available.  I think if you can't get on in FA, it's as close to a must pick as you can get.  It's the last piece on a young offense, and it looks like there's at least one that'll be there.  Why would you switch to D and leave a gaping hole there?  Get a good C and the line, and the O,  is ready for the future.  Grab 2 rd2 players on D, and make your splash in FA there.

The problem is we're picking way too high for a center. Even if we trade down, we'd probably have to get a 20 or lower pick. It's tough enough to trade down as it is, much less get adequate compensation for a drop from top 10(possible top 5) to end of round 1. Top 10 draft picks have a TON of value in the NFL. Why not try to trade up a bit with our early 2nd instead of trying to trade down 15 or maybe more spots? Just seems unnecessary.

"Why switch over to defense?" is not a good question at all. Teams do it every year. It doesn't make sense to put off the defense for long enough to build an ENTIRE offense. Yes, we have a hole at center. We also have a number of holes on the defensive side of the ball. Yet people want to trade down from our top 10 pick, where we could get an impact defensive player, to finish off the offense. Could we do anything more to build the offense at the expense of the defense?

gone

Hall of Famer
#33 : October 19, 2006, 07:50:00 PM

The problem is we're picking way too high for a center. Even if we trade down, we'd probably have to get a 20 or lower pick. It's tough enough to trade down as it is, much less get adequate compensation for a drop from top 10(possible top 5) to end of round 1. Top 10 draft picks have a TON of value in the NFL. Why not try to trade up a bit with our early 2nd instead of trying to trade down 15 or maybe more spots? Just seems unnecessary.

"Why switch over to defense?" is not a good question at all. Teams do it every year. It doesn't make sense to put off the defense for long enough to build an ENTIRE offense. Yes, we have a hole at center. We also have a number of holes on the defensive side of the ball. Yet people want to trade down from our top 10 pick, where we could get an impact defensive player, to finish off the offense. Could we do anything more to build the offense at the expense of the defense?
The thing is this O is close to done.  We need a legit C, and a Speed reciever, I think you can get the WR lower.  Center is going to be a big thing next year; lines across the league are struggling, not just ours.  There's gonna be high demand for linemen, so I'd say Trade down low, there really don't seem to be any stars in the top 10 this year.  Get another 2nd and maybe a lower round an move to the bottom of rd 1? 
Finish up the core of a young O, and use the 2-3 rd picks on D, we have a history of not starting D drafts right away, so those will be groomed anyway...

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#34 : October 19, 2006, 09:30:43 PM

The thing is this O is close to done.  We need a legit C, and a Speed reciever, I think you can get the WR lower.  Center is going to be a big thing next year; lines across the league are struggling, not just ours.  There's gonna be high demand for linemen, so I'd say Trade down low, there really don't seem to be any stars in the top 10 this year.  Get another 2nd and maybe a lower round an move to the bottom of rd 1? 
Finish up the core of a young O, and use the 2-3 rd picks on D, we have a history of not starting D drafts right away, so those will be groomed anyway...

That makes so little sense though. We're giving up a top 10 talent, who could be a Gaines Adams or a Laron Landry, to trade down for an offensive player. Why? Because the offense is "close to being finished" in your mind? Makes no sense. The D is aging and doesn't have much to hang it's hat on in the future. So of course instead of getting an impact player there, let's move down SPECIFICALLY to benefit the offense who just had a whole 1st day last year, not to mention our 1st rounders the past 3 drafts. Do you people have visions of the Colts and Rams (circa 1999) in your heads or what? I like where our offense is headed. I like that our offense is young. But to dedicate the biggest part of our draft and throw away a chance at a top 10 talent (which is better than you're giving credit to) just to finish off an offense that isn't carrying the team, and doesn't look like it's close to, is downright idiotic in my mind. It doesn't make sense to make yet another concession to the offense, just because we've made so many in recent years that we might as well finish it off. In other words, we've also put off the defense forever; what's one more year?

Also, not using high picks on defense is one of the reasons our D is in the shape it is right now! Don't people get it? We have no young standout players on our defense. White is the closest thing we have to a young standout, and while he is solid, is he what you want this D built on? Marquis Cooper was supposed to be "groomed". The only thing he was groomed for was Minnesota. I'm sure even if we we're to groom players, we'd be better off grooming a Landry, Adams, Moses, Buster Davis, Rufus Alexander, etc as opposed to someone in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 20, 2006, 09:01:22 AM

Yeah it makes zero sense to trade down to get a center, zero. I see the thought process but you are talking about a center when the 1st center will be taken more than likely in the 2nd round and we will be picking early in R2. I don't even see center as a glaring need IMHO. First of all there isn't a center with probably a R2 grade this year in the draft.....

What would you rather have, Aaron Rouse, any other player you can think of or the highest rated center Ryan Kalil?????????

Baghead #2

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#36 : October 20, 2006, 09:02:47 AM

Yeah it makes zero sense to trade down to get a center, zero. I see the thought process but you are talking about a center when the 1st center will be taken more than likely in the 2nd round and we will be picking early in R2. I don't even see center as a glaring need IMHO. First of all there isn't a center with probably a R2 grade this year in the draft.....

What would you rather have, Aaron Rouse, any other player you can think of or the highest rated center Ryan Kalil?????????
Yah, that's what you said about Mangold too.....

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 20, 2006, 09:08:23 AM

Ok Mangold, Ryan Kalil..........You do the math. Mangold to some was a 1st round grade, Kalil is R2 material at best.

Baghead #2

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#38 : October 20, 2006, 09:21:43 AM

Ok Mangold, Ryan Kalil..........You do the math. Mangold to some was a 1st round grade, Kalil is R2 material at best.
Kyle Young....he's worth a late first early second!!!! Our center position is a weekness, I don't understand how you and some other can't see that.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#39 : October 20, 2006, 09:24:45 AM

Kyle Young....he's worth a late first early second!!!! Our center position is a weekness, I don't understand how you and some other can't see that.

With two 2nd round picks I think there is a good chance they would take Young if he falls to them.  Having said that it appears they like Mahan right now, so maybe he will make the permanent switch to center.  ???

#40 : October 20, 2006, 09:27:44 AM

We need a speed receiver.  (Joey may be gone after next year.)  A big DT.  A safety.  A kicker.  And a Center.  A new SS wouldn't hurt either.

A kicker.  A kicker.  We need a stud kicker.  Absolutely.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 20, 2006, 09:31:36 AM

a 6'5 center that weighs 350 lbs, I'll pass.......

Baghead #2

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#42 : October 20, 2006, 10:14:24 AM

A kicker.  A kicker.  We need a stud kicker.  Absolutely.
Is this a joke???

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#43 : October 20, 2006, 10:20:46 AM

Well Betia comfortably out kicked the last “stud” kicker to come out of college up in NY, so maybe we bring him back.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#44 : October 20, 2006, 10:22:46 AM

Why did you change your name mjs???
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Offseason Wishlist/Predictions........ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools