Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Major Draft Shakeup « previous next »
Page: 1 2

FlavaDaveSOM

Practice Squad

: March 03, 2007, 11:50:18 PM

I believe the QB proceedings today will cause a major shake up to draft order. The Raiders most likely want Jamarcus Russell or Calvin Johnson (or possibly Adrian Peterson). If they take Russell or Johnson they HAVE to get rid of one of their malcontent WRs AND have a vet Qb in there to at least provide some leadership. I mean you cannot have a completely green coach in Lane Kiffin calling plays for a rookie QB in his 1st season all the while dealing with unhappy players bringing down the morale of the team. They would be wise in making the move to get Simms or Plummer and get out of the #1 draft slot. At #4, they should be able to still draft Russell if hes their guy and pay him a lot less.

Tampa would then end up with the #1 pick and spend it on Joe Thomas or Johnson but they could also turn around and send that to Houston with Plummer for the #8 pick along with their second round pick. Houston ends up making Joe Thomas or Peterson the #1 pick, while the Bucs take DT Amobi Okoye at 8 and couple two of their now 3 second round picks to move into the 1st and take S Reggie Nelson or T Levi Brown.

Personally, Im enamored with Calvin Johnson and think he is the surest bet to be a stud...BUT if Joe Thomas is as good as everyone says he is then I have to lean his direction and say a franchise LT is more important to a team than a franchise WR in the event that we move up to number 1. Just look at Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson...all stud WRs, all missing the playoffs last year. You never have a chance to get a franchise LT in free agency, yet players like TO, Randy Moss, Eric Moulds, Javon Walker, etc etc, heck even Jerry Rice change teams.

-------------
All is perspective. To a worm, digging in the ground is more relaxing than going fishing.--Clyde Abel

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 03, 2007, 11:56:07 PM

Calvin Johnson will be there at 4
unless a team trades up like Minny
I rather trade Plummer,our 4th rounder, for their 2nd rounder Get an late 1st round pick
#33- Brandon Meriweather
 #35- Quentin Moses
  #64-David Harris
#68-Marcus Thomas

if minny trades up to snag him congrats,we will take Joe Thomas but if he isn't their it will be Adams and continue to build on D

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

FlavaDaveSOM

Practice Squad

#2 : March 04, 2007, 12:10:17 AM

If I knew we could nab CJ or JT at #4 I would be very content, I just dont see 3 teams passing on those two guys in front of us no matter who they may be. In addition to the teams already in front you mentioned Minnesota possibly trading up...Washington & Arizona are also in striking distance with the Cards having their sights on JT and Washington looking for size on a receiving corps that has a bunch of 5'10'' clones

-------------
All is perspective. To a worm, digging in the ground is more relaxing than going fishing.--Clyde Abel

PoorRichard

Starter

#3 : March 04, 2007, 12:26:23 AM

Calvin Johnson will be there at 4
unless a team trades up like Minny
I rather trade Plummer,our 4th rounder, for their 2nd rounder Get an late 1st round pick
#33- Brandon Meriweather
 #35- Quentin Moses
  #64-David Harris
#68-Marcus Thomas

if minny trades up to snag him congrats,we will take Joe Thomas but if he isn't their it will be Adams and continue to build on D

Merriweather, Moses and Thomas are perennial underachievers. This team won by drafting productive career players. If that is their draft they'll all be fired by November.

PoorRichard

Starter

#4 : March 04, 2007, 12:29:27 AM

I believe the QB proceedings today will cause a major shake up to draft order. The Raiders most likely want Jamarcus Russell or Calvin Johnson (or possibly Adrian Peterson). If they take Russell or Johnson they HAVE to get rid of one of their malcontent WRs AND have a vet Qb in there to at least provide some leadership. I mean you cannot have a completely green coach in Lane Kiffin calling plays for a rookie QB in his 1st season all the while dealing with unhappy players bringing down the morale of the team. They would be wise in making the move to get Simms or Plummer and get out of the #1 draft slot. At #4, they should be able to still draft Russell if hes their guy and pay him a lot less.

Tampa would then end up with the #1 pick and spend it on Joe Thomas or Johnson but they could also turn around and send that to Houston with Plummer for the #8 pick along with their second round pick. Houston ends up making Joe Thomas or Peterson the #1 pick, while the Bucs take DT Amobi Okoye at 8 and couple two of their now 3 second round picks to move into the 1st and take S Reggie Nelson or T Levi Brown.

Personally, Im enamored with Calvin Johnson and think he is the surest bet to be a stud...BUT if Joe Thomas is as good as everyone says he is then I have to lean his direction and say a franchise LT is more important to a team than a franchise WR in the event that we move up to number 1. Just look at Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson...all stud WRs, all missing the playoffs last year. You never have a chance to get a franchise LT in free agency, yet players like TO, Randy Moss, Eric Moulds, Javon Walker, etc etc, heck even Jerry Rice change teams.

That scenario is pure fanatsy. If Al Davis stepped out of the #1 spot for Simms or Plummer he would be the biggest laughing stock since the Vikings-Herschel deal.

The value chart would demand more then Simms to trade down from #1 and would demand a kings ransom for a team go from #1 to #8.

zed

Pro Bowler

#5 : March 04, 2007, 12:31:11 AM

If I knew we could nab CJ or JT at #4 I would be very content, I just dont see 3 teams passing on those two guys in front of us no matter who they may be. In addition to the teams already in front you mentioned Minnesota possibly trading up...Washington & Arizona are also in striking distance with the Cards having their sights on JT and Washington looking for size on a receiving corps that has a bunch of 5'10'' clones
I think you could rule Washington out.  That's their only pick on Day 1, and their next pick is in Round 5!!!

FlavaDaveSOM

Practice Squad

#6 : March 04, 2007, 12:39:33 AM

That scenario is pure fanatsy. If Al Davis stepped out of the #1 spot for Simms or Plummer he would be the biggest laughing stock since the Vikings-Herschel deal.

Not if theyre able to still nab the guy they want (Russell) at a cheaper slot (#4) and get veteran help

-------------

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 04, 2007, 12:45:02 AM

It would never happen.

captaindabblin

Second String

#8 : March 04, 2007, 08:44:19 AM

I don't think Simms or Plummer have enough value to affect the top of the 2007 draft. Later rounds, yes, they could, but not the first round.
   Our landing Garcia, however, probably killed any thoughts the Raiders had about going for Calvin Johnson...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 04, 2007, 09:14:35 AM

I don't think Simms or Plummer have enough value to affect the top of the 2007 draft. Later rounds, yes, they could, but not the first round.
   Our landing Garcia, however, probably killed any thoughts the Raiders had about going for Calvin Johnson...

Garcia wouldn't have changed Russell or not. In fact, if the Faders weren't willing to come off the QB selection and that was a reason Jeffy left.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#10 : March 04, 2007, 11:09:09 AM

Garcia wouldn't have changed Russell or not. In fact, if the Faders weren't willing to come off the QB selection and that was a reason Jeffy left.

I agree the whole situation with the Raiders and Garcia almost guarantee they go Russell.  Big Al could always surprise with a trade but the only reason they aren't willing to sign Garcia to starter money is because they plan on getting Russell.  If they want to just find someone to play QB they would have inked Garcia and drafted CJ but they passed on that. 

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#11 : March 04, 2007, 01:08:50 PM

Aside from the previously mentioned bit about the Raiders being the laughing stock of the league if they traded back for Simms or Plummer, we would soon after that be the laughing stock of the league by trading from #1 to #8 for just a second round pick.  #1 to #8 would take a second and next year's #1 for me to do that trade.

FlavaDaveSOM

Practice Squad

#12 : March 04, 2007, 01:17:29 PM

Yeah you guys are right, it obviously would take a lot more than a 2nd round pick and Carr to move up to #1...I got a little ahead of myself with all the possibilties we have in front of us now, excuse me while i grab a towel

-------------

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 04, 2007, 01:18:17 PM

It's going to be a funny couple of months to say the least leading up to the Draft. The Bucs might be major movers on draft day if the past 2 days is any indication.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#14 : March 04, 2007, 03:19:35 PM

I don't think tht they have a choice. This draft launches them back to respectability..........or it doesn't which will not be good.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Major Draft Shakeup « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools