Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCluster Bench Press! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

#15 : February 28, 2010, 03:40:43 AM

My boy Nate should be making his first splash in getting recognition in his road to the NFL in the next couple of weeks. He will be putting up 225 around 50 times during the pro day he goes to.
::)

I am sure Larry Allen is worried about that.

He is pretty much unknown but his weight room stats are unrivaled and he's a tackling machine. He was stubborn on only accepting a offer at running back instead of LB so he ended up a small divsion two school where he ended up becoming a LB anyway. Proof that he was an elite player prior to college is here http://hsflorida.scout.com/2/342171.html (notice names like tebow and selvie). Nate was hampered by injuries ealry in college which is another thing he'll have to over come as far as an NFL team taking a chance but he returned his senior year to his small division two school and completely dominated. averaged near 10 tackles a game until his team switched him to strong safety because of two things: the team couldn't cover the pass and nate was the the fasted defender on the team. He may even up dead last in the draft but who ever gets him is getting a wicked suprise.
This is Nate as a sophmore (2 years ago) in college putting up 500lbs at a weight of around 235-240 http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii88/buonoxc/n77701055_30176493_5406.jpg, and he's a lot stronger now from what I've heard.

Roll your eyes all you want, in a couple weeks the toolbox is about to put up 225 near 50 times and run his 40 in 4.5-4.4

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 28, 2010, 04:10:17 AM

My boy Nate should be making his first splash in getting recognition in his road to the NFL in the next couple of weeks. He will be putting up 225 around 50 times during the pro day he goes to.

He is pretty much unknown but his weight room stats are unrivaled and he's a tackling machine. He was stubborn on only accepting a offer at running back instead of LB so he ended up a small divsion two school where he ended up becoming a LB anyway. Proof that he was an elite player prior to college is here http://hsflorida.scout.com/2/342171.html (notice names like tebow and selvie). Nate was hampered by injuries ealry in college which is another thing he'll have to over come as far as an NFL team taking a chance but he returned his senior year to his small division two school and completely dominated. averaged near 10 tackles a game until his team switched him to strong safety because of two things: the team couldn't cover the pass and nate was the the fasted defender on the team. He may even up dead last in the draft but who ever gets him is getting a wicked suprise.
This is Nate as a sophmore (2 years ago) in college putting up 500lbs at a weight of around 235-240 http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii88/buonoxc/n77701055_30176493_5406.jpg, and he's a lot stronger now from what I've heard.

Roll your eyes all you want, in a couple weeks the toolbox is about to put up 225 near 50 times and run his 40 in 4.5-4.4

I went to school with him and his 2 older brothers. Nobody I mean NOBODY has ever done anything coming from hudson. There have been far better players than he that went nowhere. He will go undrafted Might make a squad on a longshot rookie minicamp, but that's about it!

As far as a monster tackler, SR. year at quincy he had 73. After that his best year was freshman year with 43. he was redshirted in 2008 2007 was horrible as was 2006.

#17 : February 28, 2010, 04:38:24 AM

Your man crush on Nate is unhealthy.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#18 : February 28, 2010, 05:19:34 AM

McCluster is an exciting player, unlike any skill player outside of K2 we have right now. I'd love to see him a Buc.

TBChucky

Pro Bowler
#19 : February 28, 2010, 07:12:30 AM

McCluster is an exciting player, unlike any skill player outside of K2 we have right now. I'd love to see him a Buc.

Agreed. I would be all for drafting him. If we don`t, we`ll be watching replays of him breaking long runs for another team on Sundays..

Runole

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 28, 2010, 07:29:08 AM

I have often wondered how a bench press relates to any football action on the field?

Is there something during the pregame off the field where players compete and see how many times they can lift the player closest to 225 over their heads while laying on the ground? I admit I never have seen this so I guess it is something in the locker room. Right? ::) ;)

David4ROTY

Starter

#21 : February 28, 2010, 07:33:30 AM

I have often wondered how a bench press relates to any football action on the field?

Is there something during the pregame off the field where players compete and see how many times they can lift the player closest to 225 over their heads while laying on the ground? I admit I never have seen this so I guess it is something in the locker room. Right? ::) ;)

The point of the bench press is to see the players physical endurance.  It's valued more for linemen because they have to constantly use those muscles all game long pushing around the opposing linemen.  a person with a low rep, more than likely will tire quicker in game times.  Thats really all there is to it

LtFox

Starter

#22 : February 28, 2010, 08:31:45 AM

Yeah...OK....remember a guy named Tony Mandarich? Remember his combine numbers....here is a brief snippet in case you forgot.

In a workout for NFL scouts at Michigan State in February—he had participated in only the physical exam and the drug test at the combine in Indy—Mandarich was dynamite. He weighed 304, ran the 40 in 4.65 seconds, did a standing long jump of 10'3", leaped vertically 30" and bench-pressed 225 pounds an unheard-of 39 times. "It may have been the finest workout the scouts have ever seen," says Perles. "Marty Schottenheimer [the Kansas City Chiefs' coach] asked me why Tony didn't play defense here. It's a good question. Mostly, we just needed him more on offense."

Ummm....he ended up sucking something feirce. Combine numbers mean ZERO as to how good a football player you are. How many times have we seen this over the years? Doesn't Dexter Jackson's blazing speed drive this point home?

#23 : February 28, 2010, 08:53:17 AM

Sign me up

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 28, 2010, 09:27:13 AM

The point of the bench press is to see the players physical endurance.  It's valued more for linemen because they have to constantly use those muscles all game long pushing around the opposing linemen.  a person with a low rep, more than likely will tire quicker in game times.  Thats really all there is to it

It really measures the pop that players get in blocking and, oddly, it might mean more to pass blocking than run blocking because it is your upper body "punch" that sets up your pass blocking efforts while run blocking is more about leverage and explosion from your legs.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 28, 2010, 09:36:50 AM

For a RB, the bench press shows the upper body strength the player can use for breaking tackles through stiff-arms, etc..

McCluster has always played bigger than he actually is.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#26 : February 28, 2010, 01:59:03 PM

It really measures the pop that players get in blocking and, oddly, it might mean more to pass blocking than run blocking because it is your upper body "punch" that sets up your pass blocking efforts while run blocking is more about leverage and explosion from your legs.

Understood  and over the course of a game the fatigue factor certainly would be important. However the bench press sequence is done how quickly?

It would seem with all the technology today that there could be a machine that could more accurately develop and measure the type of arm and leg movement required by football players.  Perhaps a better designed blocking sled.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#27 : February 28, 2010, 02:07:26 PM

The bench press is an indicator of overall strength.

Does 20 reps make him a good football player? No, but anyone who lifts weights has to be impressed with 20 reps for a guy weighing a buck 70.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#28 : February 28, 2010, 04:01:06 PM

The bench press is an indicator of overall strength.

Does 20 reps make him a good football player? No, but anyone who lifts weights has to be impressed with 20 reps for a guy weighing a buck 70.

without a doubt.  Very impressive.  20 reps is impressive alone, let alone weighing 170.

I thought i was strong weighing 185(same height 5-9) and being able to do it 15 times, but i guess thats why he's going to be an NFL back and I'm an accountant lol.

Pulling Guard

Second String

#29 : March 01, 2010, 11:11:55 AM

I'm from the west pasco area, and Nate was a hell of a football player at Hudson. I saw him at the trinity YMCA recently(at least I think it was him) and he's wicked strong. I saw him press 275 about 15-16 times. But, I'm sorry, but there's no way in HELL that he runs a 4.4. I'll believe it when I see it.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCluster Bench Press! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools