Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCluster Bench Press! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#30 : March 01, 2010, 11:15:02 AM

For a RB, the bench press shows the upper body strength the player can use for breaking tackles through stiff-arms, etc..

McCluster has always played bigger than he actually is.
Well if he played his size he would've never been playing college football. lol.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 01, 2010, 11:21:31 AM

We already have McCluster, only his name is Peanut and he didn't cost a 2nd.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 01, 2010, 03:24:52 PM

We already have McCluster, only his name is Peanut and he didn't cost a 2nd.

Now, LaGarrette Blount on the other hand....

Incomparable sig by Incognito

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#33 : March 01, 2010, 04:37:10 PM

20 reps of 225 pounds for a 170 pound man is insane. Thats ridiculous strength.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 01, 2010, 04:38:18 PM

Yeah it is.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 01, 2010, 04:45:49 PM

Well in fairness at his size and his short arms (29.25) he should have an easier time lifting than a lot of other guys.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#36 : March 01, 2010, 04:50:56 PM

Combine numbers mean ZERO as to how good a football player you are.

And yet they keep right on having the thing. I don't think anyone is arguing that it's a flawless system. But something doesn't have to be absolutely perfect to still be useful.

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#37 : March 01, 2010, 10:06:59 PM

Don't take it personal, it was a jab at you expaining what the combine was to Boid and I, as if we're un-aware.

And my comment was a jab at you for acting like the combine is worthless just because it's not the only information you should utilize when selecting your draft pick.

Obviously the NFL combine is successful in generating profits to the NFL network and provides 'valuable' info coaches can't gather anywhere else..... ::)

Strange how they bothered to have it for years before the NFL Network came around...

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 01, 2010, 08:33:38 PM

It's as useful as test driving a new car...

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#39 : March 01, 2010, 08:57:14 PM

He did it in the name of the Lord.

Trojan52

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 01, 2010, 09:10:07 PM

Got a buddy named Trey, played for QO high school (good guy), just 19 yrs old, in his first year at a community college  now, weighs 170, guess what he puts up on the bench press?

225 an easy 15 times...

Does that make him an NFL quality player, did it make him a good runningback? He was third string his Junior year and shared the backfield his senior year. Ran a official 4.4 forty and is the same height as McCluster too.

Not that any of that matters... Just saying bench doesn't mean squat when talking about runningbacks, just like Bruce Cambells forty time doesn't mean squat because he's a lineman.

It sure looks sexy though doesn't it!> Ohhh awww!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#41 : March 01, 2010, 09:15:52 PM

My lil brother is about 6'3" (towers over me), and he has long arms.  He throws up 345...not sure about his reps at 225.  I'll ask him what he did...he is only 19 however.

And no...he is not NFL caliber. 

The combine is a big joke to me.  A meat market.

It does not define your career, but it is simply a meatmarket.  Never been really impressed with the combine, but at times I can see the merits of it. 

I do like watching the RBs and WRs run their forty times, and the linemen run the cone drills.

The bench reps have moments where it is fun...when the trainer called Tom Zibikowski "Rudy", and he said "never call me that again"...I laughed at that.

Trojan52

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 01, 2010, 09:23:29 PM

My lil brother is about 6'3" (towers over me), and he has long arms.  He throws up 345...not sure about his reps at 225.  I'll ask him what he did...he is only 19 however.

And no...he is not NFL caliber. 

It does not define your career, but it is simply a meatmarket.  Never been really impressed with the combine, but at times I can see the merits of it. 

I do like watching the RBs and WRs run their forty times, and the linemen run the cone drills.

The bench reps have moments where it is fun...when the trainer called Tom Zibikowski "Rudy", and he said "never call me that again"...I laughed at that.
I share the same feelings, however players like Vernon Gholsten, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Charles Rodgers, etc, etc love the combine.. That should tell people something about the combine. IMO a draft selection should be based on film.... Not because a guy can run really fast in shorts, in a straight line.

The only meaningful part imo is the interviews.

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#43 : March 01, 2010, 10:21:52 PM

I'll move along when I please, "Hercules."

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 01, 2010, 09:35:31 PM

It serves to normalize what you see on film since the quality of the opposition varies so wildly - not to mention schemes and such.

What you can't do is take a guy with bad film and let his physical skills overwhelm his football talent.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCluster Bench Press! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools