Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sports Illustrated rips us... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 04, 2007, 10:43:42 AM

Plummer retired,Simms is staying

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 04, 2007, 10:45:28 AM

Plummer retired,Simms is staying

^^Most likely situation. Or just Plummer is going. Simms will be are #2 QB next year.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 04, 2007, 10:45:40 AM

Nothing is set in stone yet young grasshopper. 8)

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#33 : March 04, 2007, 10:54:47 AM

Plummer's website says different.....http://www.jakeplummerfoundation.org/

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#34 : March 04, 2007, 10:58:03 AM

There is more to it than that there spidey. As for me ALL DA WAY.... thats just my guess.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 04, 2007, 11:01:37 AM

Plummer is a **CENSORED**. Plain and simple. He didn't get what he wanted and his little scheme to get out of his contract failed. So he's just going to call it quits. No harm, no foul. It just sends a message to every player in the league not to try to pull he tried to do.

gharen

Pro Bowler

#36 : March 04, 2007, 11:14:33 AM

I live in Houston and I can tell you both the media and the fans are bashing the Texans and praising the Bucs. The guy on the news last night led off the sports by saying all the Texans QB hopes are up to the Bucs and they will now have to pay alot more than they would have to the Broncos. This will really look like a great deal if any starters go down during training camp. The first team any QB hungry team will turn to is us and at that point we'll really get a good return.

buckit

Hall of Famer

#37 : March 04, 2007, 11:52:35 AM

Exactly!  What an intelligent, concise article. If they were such good moves, why are we the laughing stocks?

Because the media is full of no-nothing muck rakers that just want to stir up s***.  Those who can't play, coach.  Those who can't coach, write about it.  I can see Gruden's plan, even if Mr won't be around in 5 years media analyst can't.

Garcia has at least 1 or 2 good seasons left in him.  Gradkowski still has a lot of potential.  It looks like the plan is to bring in Garcia to get the team back on track, and provide mentorship for Gradkowski (who is a very similiar QB).  If the deal works out, the Bucs have essentially accomplished their goal at solidifiying a QB for the future. 

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 04, 2007, 12:30:33 PM

I wouldn't call that ripping the Bucs. It was actually a pretty fair assessment of the situation. By the Bucs pulling the trigger with the Broncos on the Plummer and and then signing Garcia. It keeps 2 quality QB off the FA market. While this is not the intent of the Bucs front office it helps the Bucs draft position that the Raiders, Lions and Browns can't upgrade their respective QB depth. 

gone

Hall of Famer
#39 : March 04, 2007, 12:56:35 PM

I think we tried to be too slick for our good and could get caught holding the hot potatoe (Plummer).   I just can't see the logic behind investing or risking investing this much in the QB position.  5.3 mill in Plummer and 10 mill or so on Garcia and Simms depending on playing time.  I can understand the Garcia signing if we thought the Plummer deal was off the table.  But once we signed Garcia then Plummer no longer should have been considered.  We should now be focusing on the safety and o-line free agents.  Instead, we traded for Plummer even though he is disgruntled and doesn't want to play here and is contemplating retirement.  I realize we got him at a discount with the conditional pick but why take this gamble?  Because we hope to strong arm Houston into trading for Plummer?  If they didn't want to give Denver a  draft pick for Plummer why would they give us one, especially when they know what we are trying to do.  Houston knows we can't afford to have two millionaire QBs on the bench and we'll eventually have to cut somebody.  They could just dig their heels in and wait us out.   Plummer could force our hand by showing up to camp and adding his 5.3 cap hit on the books.  You really think he is going to be willing to restructure after all this?  If we dont cut any of them and can't pull off a trade,  we're stuck with a huge chunk of our cap devoted to th QB position, with multiple millionaire QBs on the bench.  Not the best use of cap space to me.  I know gruden likes to collect QBs but this is ridiculous. 

I suppose locking up the top FA QBs forces teams like Oakland, Detroit and Cleveland to focus on Russell and Quinn instead of CJ.  That's a positive point.  But I don't think that positive point outweighs the potential salary cap ramifications of this move. I've heard some of you say that other teams devote 10-15 mill annually into their QB position except they do so primarily with one franchise guy (Manning, Brees, Palmer, Brady, etc) and a few slappies behind them.  That is a a decent point. But with those franchise QBs starting, winning games and going to Pro Bowls, those teams are getting a good return on their investments. Most of that big money is on the field contributing for them. If we cant pull off a deal, we'll spread 10-15 mill amongst three guys who are AT BEST middle of the pack QBs in this league.  2/3 of them gathering dust holding clipboards too.  See the difference? 

You're wrong.  This isn't risky for us at all.  At best if Jake retires Denver gets a round 6 pick -- at best for Denver.  We won't be forced to pay him, unless he decides to really play here -- at which point we trade Simms and have under 10 mill on QB, which is perfectly reasonable.  He's not likely here to play, but as trade bait.

Plummer's website says different.....http://www.jakeplummerfoundation.org/

He can un-retire.  If he was really set on retirement, why did he wait until he found he wasn't traded to Houston?

I live in Houston and I can tell you both the media and the fans are bashing the Texans and praising the Bucs. The guy on the news last night led off the sports by saying all the Texans QB hopes are up to the Bucs and they will now have to pay alot more than they would have to the Broncos. This will really look like a great deal if any starters go down during training camp. The first team any QB hungry team will turn to is us and at that point we'll really get a good return.

It's amazing what people who aren't fed a steady diet of 620 with a side of TBBBB see when they look at the situation.

Even the SI article guy can see the potential benefits, he just wouldn't have taken the risk based on what he knows.  There is more going on than the media show, the public statements everyone is making.

Every day that passes Houston is going to ahve to pay more and more.  I'll believe Jake's gon when Kubiak acquires another starting-quality QB...

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 04, 2007, 01:13:53 PM

Its simple...
-If Plummer retires a Buc, the Bucs own his rights for 3 years. Meaning that if he ever wanted to come out of retirement, the team that wants him owes us compensation. The only thing the Broncos get is a 6th or 7th rounder. So basically we are giving up a very late draft pick in order to control Plummer's rights.
-If the union wins the case against the league, the trade is voided and the Bucs owe nothing to anyone. Plummer retires as a Bronco and he has to pay back the Broncos a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus.

The only negative about the deal is if Plummer calls Bruce Allen's bluff and reports for Bucs camp. The Bucs lose a 4th rounder. But I seriously doubt Plummer will report. Even if he does, the Bucs can throw him on the reserve list and minimize his cap value.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 04, 2007, 01:22:28 PM

The only negative about the deal is if Plummer calls Bruce Allen's bluff and reports for Bucs camp. The Bucs lose a 4th rounder. But I seriously doubt Plummer will report. Even if he does, the Bucs can throw him on the reserve list and minimize his cap value.

Once he reports we can't toss him on the reserve list, the NFLPA won't let that happen. 

He can report, cost us a 4th rounder, go through the motions and the put in the spot of keeping him around or cutting him and he gets what he wants. We've got no real leverage here. HOU wasn't so desperate for him they'd trade a pick, he was a luxury not a necessity for them. That likely won't change.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 04, 2007, 01:34:28 PM

stay retired Jake and let this issue die.  we'll move forward with Garcia and Simms.  Lets focus on the safety and o-line free agents.  enough with the QB saga. 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#43 : March 04, 2007, 01:36:11 PM

Well RPC according to Clayton no retirement papers have been filed.  The grill is heating up ladies and gentlement. :D

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 04, 2007, 01:51:04 PM

Well RPC according to Clayton no retirement papers have been filed.  The grill is heating up ladies and gentlement.

My understanding is that Plummer faxed his paperwork in late on Friday, and league will not process said paperwork until regular business hours on Monday.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sports Illustrated rips us... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools