Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCoy's bench was kind of disappointing « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

Madman

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 01, 2010, 12:08:08 PM

does anybody know what Sapp did at his combine for bench for comparison sake.  Can't find it.  Did see that he ran a 4.69 40 and he maxed out at 525 on bench once.  I also rember Sapp winning the bench in one of those off season NFL skill competition shows.

Sapp was strong like bull.

Ha I remember watching that NFL skills bench press competition!

Buceye

Rookie

#31 : March 01, 2010, 12:26:00 PM

Actually, McCoy's performance so far at the combine helps to re-enforce my "head turning" Mock draft, found at http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?topic=53808.msg1142577#msg1142577

In that mock, I said the Bucs would trade down to #6 for an additional 2nd and 4th round picks and still be able to select McCoy at #6.  If you haven't seen it, check it out.  I thought it did a good job going against the norm and allowed the Bucs to draft a number a potentially good-to-great players.  (Although I didn't include either Golden Tate or Arrelious Benn as a #35 selection due to thinking they would be gone in the 1st, just to let you know.)

Capt_Chaos

Pro Bowler
#32 : March 01, 2010, 12:58:22 PM

the bench press is overrated

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 01, 2010, 03:52:38 PM

But Sapp wasn't just brute strength. He had about the quickest feet and agility I've seen from a DT, and could change the angle and direction of his rush on a dime. He got position and leverage on blockers, THEN overpowered them or just made'em whiff. Incredibly mobile for such a big dude.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 01, 2010, 04:01:45 PM

But in fairness Sapp weighed 285-290 when he came out.  Suh definately had the better combine.  His athleticism looked more than adequate.

kjbugman

Starter

#35 : March 01, 2010, 04:02:26 PM

Leg drive is more important then arm strength in the NFL. If you plan on pushing an NFL Center/ Guard back with your arms, you end up a bust. (Unless you look like a body builder aka look like SUH)

BIG MAC AND BIG SACK!

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#36 : March 01, 2010, 04:05:05 PM

I just don't buy that McCoy is even close to as good as Suh.  McCoy is ok, but Suh is a monster.

Very rarely agree with you, but here is a scenario where I do. Suh runs circles around McCoy, IMO.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#37 : March 01, 2010, 04:10:35 PM

marcellus wiley just said suh clearly has much better technique when it comes to using his hands and footwork and that is what is going to suit him better in the nfl.

fsuklee

Second String

#38 : March 01, 2010, 04:14:29 PM

marcellus wiley just said suh clearly has much better technique when it comes to using his hands and footwork and that is what is going to suit him better in the nfl.

Well that seals the deal for sure.

fsuklee

Second String

#39 : March 01, 2010, 04:17:43 PM

I just don't buy that McCoy is even close to as good as Suh. ?McCoy is ok, but Suh is a monster.

Very rarely agree with you, but here is a scenario where I do. Suh runs circles around McCoy, IMO.

Run circles around him...so you are predicting how many?  2x, 3x, 4x as many sacks?  McCoy is simply a better NFL prospect and not a one trick pony (even if that trick was awesome in college).  The people calling McCoy "ok" or a "bust" are simply drinking the kool-aid.  Suh is not a sure thing...if he was the Rams would be talking contract.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#40 : March 01, 2010, 04:20:22 PM

I just don't buy that McCoy is even close to as good as Suh. ?McCoy is ok, but Suh is a monster.

Run circles around him...so you are predicting how many?  2x, 3x, 4x as many sacks?  McCoy is simply a better NFL prospect and not a one trick pony (even if that trick was awesome in college).  The people calling McCoy "ok" or a "bust" are simply drinking the kool-aid.  Suh is not a sure thing...if he was the Rams would be talking contract.

No.

Suh played in a 2-gap scheme at Nebraska which limited his playmaking, whereas McCoy played UT at Oklahoma and was able to show that he could disrupt and make plays in the backfield. If they swapped roles, McCoy would be a 2nd round prospect and Suh would be the unquestioned #1 overall pick and be heralded as the best prospect in the last 10 years.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#41 : March 01, 2010, 04:23:33 PM

well it's being stated ad nauseam that McCoy has better technique.  I think that's debatable.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 01, 2010, 04:25:08 PM

well it's being stated ad nauseam that McCoy has better technique.  I think that's debatable.
Suh has BETTER PRODUCTION.

That is all I want to see.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#43 : March 01, 2010, 04:27:31 PM

and I'm sorry but 23 reps for a DT being considered in the top 3 is not impressive.  It should be in the 30s.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#44 : March 01, 2010, 04:29:16 PM

and I'm sorry but 23 reps for a DT being considered in the top 3 is not impressive.  It should be in the 30s.
I never really regarded him as a stout run defender.

Suh on the other hand...

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCoy's bench was kind of disappointing « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools