Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eric Berry « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#15 : March 02, 2010, 03:37:36 PM

And the best SS in the NFL? Ill take Berry all day at #3 he will give us the best young safety combo in the NFL.

Great.

We'll need good safety play since our D-Line will continue to get run-over and opposing QBs will be throwing deep constantly since no one is pressuring them.

Safety = most unimportant position in the Tampa 2.

buccnation

Starter
#16 : March 02, 2010, 03:42:18 PM

Caveat emperor you might be right about the dline but would you rather us reach for a dt or de at #3 if both of the top 2 DT's are gone?

Lovin the Lovie

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#17 : March 02, 2010, 03:49:24 PM

Caveat emperor you might be right about the dline but would you rather us reach for a dt or de at #3 if both of the top 2 DT's are gone?

Trade back. Let the clock run out. Do whatever. Just don't give #3 money and waste the #3 pick on a player that plays the least important position on the defense.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#18 : March 02, 2010, 03:51:42 PM

Come on ts lol no hard feelings here we just have different opinions on the guy which is fine who do you want at #3 if both DT's are gone?
No hard feelings at all, why would there be? We're both Bucs fans.

Buc31

Starter

#19 : March 02, 2010, 03:56:07 PM

You tell me one DB on this roster that you trust one on one with a RB. If the DT's are gone I wouldn't mind Berry.

Ft. Myers Buc Fan

Practice Squad

#20 : March 02, 2010, 04:04:35 PM

My main issue is that TJack is our FS and a really good one at that.  If we take Berry, that means we have two excellent ballhawking safeties but who plays SS and goes into the box as the 8th man and plays the run?  It seems like we are duplicating a current asset when we have so many true needs

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : March 02, 2010, 04:08:52 PM

Brian Price looks just as impressive on tape, and other than McCoy having one more sack, Price had better stats all around. Plus Brian Price did more reps than Suh....not a measly 23. If we can't get Suh, trade out but stay in the top 12. We can still get a great three technique DT in Brian Price and pick up an additional draft pick or two.

Berry is a solid player but safety isn't even close to being important enough in the Tampa Two to warrent a top 5 pick.

Dez Bryant is dumb as a box of rocks and lazy. We need to get back to being a strong character team with guys like Brooks, Barber, Dunn, and Alstott. Dousche bags like Dez Bryant and Brandon Mrshall aren't gonna get us there.

Haden wouldn't be a horrible pick, slow corners with great skills is exactly what excells in Tampa Two. Now that he ran a slow 40 he'll probably drop a little though, so taking him at #3 wouldn't be great value.

Okhung is a boring pick, but if we are stuck at three with no Suh, he is the smartest and safest pick.

Draft Aaron Donald

X Factor

Starter
#22 : March 02, 2010, 04:13:31 PM

You tell me one DB on this roster that you trust one on one with a RB. If the DT's are gone I wouldn't mind Berry.

I don't trust Berry against NFL RB's at all... PRs article on Berry was dead on, he's not a run stuffing Safety, he's better suited as a FS, especially at the next level.... I have a feeling if we were to draft him he would end up playing CB.

Mike Williams by Xfactor32, on Flickr

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 02, 2010, 04:16:34 PM

I don't trust Berry against NFL RB's at all... PRs article on Berry was dead on, he's not a run stuffing Safety, he's better suited as a FS, especially at the next level.... I have a feeling if we were to draft him he would end up playing CB.

Exactly, and why would you draft a guy at #3 that is going to switch positions and be a project?

Draft Aaron Donald

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 02, 2010, 04:17:27 PM

I would feel good if we took Suh/McCoy/McClain/Berry or Okung.

Berry is worth the big bucks in my opinion. I think he showed good production on the field, and his combine numbers only helped him. He has the leadership qualities we need, which could honestly offset Ruud's non-verbal style of leading. It is not out of question for a safety to be the heart of a defense, see Poly from Pittsburg, Dawkins from Philly, Sanders from Indy, etc. I do disagree that Safety is not important enough to merit a top 5 selection. After John Lynch was gone, we didn't have the run stopping ability we needed, because he could be utilized as a fourth linebacker at times. I believe, despite his size, he has the physical tools to lay the wood in the front 7 and immediately bolster our run stopping defense.

X Factor

Starter
#25 : March 02, 2010, 04:35:53 PM

I would feel good if we took Suh/McCoy/McClain/Berry or Okung.

Berry is worth the big bucks in my opinion. I think he showed good production on the field, and his combine numbers only helped him. He has the leadership qualities we need, which could honestly offset Ruud's non-verbal style of leading. It is not out of question for a safety to be the heart of a defense, see Poly from Pittsburg, Dawkins from Philly, Sanders from Indy, etc. I do disagree that Safety is not important enough to merit a top 5 selection. After John Lynch was gone, we didn't have the run stopping ability we needed, because he could be utilized as a fourth linebacker at times. I believe, despite his size, he has the physical tools to lay the wood in the front 7 and immediately bolster our run stopping defense.

Only one of those guys was a first round pick, none in the top 15, I am not gonna say Safety's are a dime a dozen but there will be plenty of "franchise calibar safeties" in rounds 2 through 4 imo in this years draft...

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#26 : March 02, 2010, 04:40:08 PM

Brian Price looks just as impressive on tape, and other than McCoy having one more sack, Price had better stats all around. Plus Brian Price did more reps than Suh....not a measly 23. If we can't get Suh, trade out but stay in the top 12. We can still get a great three technique DT in Brian Price and pick up an additional draft pick or two.

Berry is a solid player but safety isn't even close to being important enough in the Tampa Two to warrent a top 5 pick.

Dez Bryant is dumb as a box of rocks and lazy. We need to get back to being a strong character team with guys like Brooks, Barber, Dunn, and Alstott. Dousche bags like Dez Bryant and Brandon Mrshall aren't gonna get us there.

Haden wouldn't be a horrible pick, slow corners with great skills is exactly what excells in Tampa Two. Now that he ran a slow 40 he'll probably drop a little though, so taking him at #3 wouldn't be great value.

Okhung is a boring pick, but if we are stuck at three with no Suh, he is the smartest and safest pick.

What concerns about Brian Price is the number of snaps he misses. McCoy seems much more durable, and even though McCoy doesn't have the sack numbers he is much better at getting into the backfield.

X Factor

Starter
#27 : March 02, 2010, 04:56:00 PM

Endurance is built through how much can you lift? Nope.... I played hs bball and I wasn't much in the weight room but I could run all day long... Endurance has nothing to do with how many reps you can do...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#28 : March 02, 2010, 04:54:20 PM

What concerns about Brian Price is the number of snaps he misses. McCoy seems much more durable, and even though McCoy doesn't have the sack numbers he is much better at getting into the backfield.

I see it just opposite. You look at the bench rep drill at the combine. That drill tests a players endurance, not thier strength. You can't build up your endurance in the last few month before the combine. Your endurance is built up through years of hard work and countless hours in the gym. Your endurance is what allows your to keep giving 100% even when your tired. McCoy having 23 reps tells me he hasn't worked as hard at it as a guy like Suh, who had 32 reps. Brian Price had 34 reps. So I don't think his endurance is an issue. Now if his stamina is an issue, that can be fixed.

Also, Brian Price and Gerald McCoy both played for three years in college. Brian Price got alot fewer snaps, but he has better stats. That's a plus in my book.

Draft Aaron Donald

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#29 : March 02, 2010, 04:59:24 PM

Endurance is built through how much can you lift? Nope.... I played hs bball and I wasn't much in the weight room but I could run all day long... Endurance has nothing to do with how many reps you can do...

I agree to an extent. It can wear down on you however if you haven't done too well in the weight room and are constantly over working yourself like you undoubtedly will in the professional trenches. Still, his ability to stay on the field will have as much to do with the strength of his lungs as it would his biceps.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eric Berry « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools