Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This Year = Stockpile Draft Picks « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
: March 02, 2010, 10:10:50 PM

The Buccaneers need to get a hold of many draft picks this year, especially in the middle rounds. We need to stockpile on 3rds and 4th rounders this year. This has to be one of the deepest drafts I have seen at WR, DE, DT, LB, and RB in a while.

Trade guys like Ward, Clayton, Josh Johnson, ANYBODY to rebuild with this upcoming rookie class. If we are going to rebuild, lets do it right...and by right I mean lets invest heavily in this draft. We are going to get first round talent with both of our 2nd rounders this year so the way I see it....if there is a lockout in 2011 which could be coming....lets gamble a little bit and risk a second next year for one this year and get ourselves some playmakers.

I hope Dominik makes the Glazers eat their words when they talk about "Building through the draft". I hope we have close to 15 picks in the draft this year with the bulk of those being in the 3 to 4th round range.

Boomin Buc 36

Practice Squad

#1 : March 02, 2010, 10:25:26 PM

Im with you on this.    This draft right here could be start of something special back in Tampa.   Man I cant Wait any longer for it to get here!!!

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#2 : March 02, 2010, 10:31:06 PM

At this point, I think I'd rather see them stockpile future draft picks.

Trojan52

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 02, 2010, 10:33:49 PM

You realize even if there is a lockout in 2011 there will still be a draft right?

Also who are we going to get or 3rd or 4rth for? The players you listed? Think again.. None of them are spring chickens or of high character, besides Johnson, and do you remember how he performed once he had his opportunity? No one is trading a high pick for a project player.

It's a nice dream, and I hope it becomes a reality (extra high picks this year) but your reasoning of why we should do it and how it will be accomplished is lacking in knowledge.

But before we spend any of these picks, I hope our scouting department have spoke to good ol' Tiitter, word is he understands the concept of the NFL Scouting Combine far above the average bear..... despite not watching it?.....

Don't ask me!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 02, 2010, 10:33:59 PM

Seeing as how the Bucs have two picks within 10 slots of each other in the 2nd round, it would be great to trade down from 2.a. if no one we really want is there and pick up an extras in the 3rd or 4th. We won't end up missing much with the pick at 2.b.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 02, 2010, 10:35:39 PM

Seeing as how the Bucs have two picks within 10 slots of each other in the 2nd round, it would be great to trade down from 2.a. if no one we really want is there and pick up an extras in the 3rd or 4th. We won't end up missing much with the pick at 2.b.

The top of the second should still be loaded with talent

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 02, 2010, 10:51:20 PM

The Buccaneers need to get a hold of many draft picks this year, especially in the middle rounds. We need to stockpile on 3rds and 4th rounders this year. This has to be one of the deepest drafts I have seen at WR, DE, DT, LB, and RB in a while.

Trade guys like Ward, Clayton, Josh Johnson, ANYBODY to rebuild with this upcoming rookie class. If we are going to rebuild, lets do it right...and by right I mean lets invest heavily in this draft. We are going to get first round talent with both of our 2nd rounders this year so the way I see it....if there is a lockout in 2011 which could be coming....lets gamble a little bit and risk a second next year for one this year and get ourselves some playmakers.

I hope Dominik makes the Glazers eat their words when they talk about "Building through the draft". I hope we have close to 15 picks in the draft this year with the bulk of those being in the 3 to 4th round range.

Agreed!  - If we stack a few great drafts up, we should be pretty set to be contenders... one day. lol.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : March 02, 2010, 10:56:47 PM

I don't think alot of average fans realize just how big this draft is. Not just to the Bucs, but to all 32 teams. I keep reading about how the top teams in the draft are all trying to trade out of thier spot and how everyone seems to be trying to get more picks. I think there is a good reason why.

I'm sure many of you know this draft has tied the all time record for most juniors declaring early (53). This happened because of the looming rookie salary cap, which I'm sure many of you already know as well. So because 95% of the top rated juniors came out early for this draft, it is considered by many experts to be the strongest draft in over two decades.

What you have is a 2nd round this year that is full of either:

A. Seniors that would have been in the first round of a normal year, but are projected for the 2nd because of the large number of great Juniors that declared early and took their projected spot in the 1st round.

...or

B. Juniors that would have likely been the 1st round senior prospects in next year's draft, had they stayed in school one more year, instead of declaring early in order to beat the rookie salary cap rules expected next season.

If you look at this year's situation knowing these facts, you realize that this year's 1st and 2nd rounds are really just one big, extended 1st round with 64 picks. This has a ripple effect on the rest of the draft as well. There should be a lot of steals later in the draft since guys that would have been 2nd's are now 3rd's, 3rd's are now 4th's, and so on. If you buy into this theory, like I do, it makes sense for teams to stockpile as many picks as possible. I wonder if the Patriots having three 2nd round picks this year is just a coincidence? Hmmm...

On a separate, but somewhat related note, this theory also leads me to believe that next year's draft will be very weak. There will of course be some studs tobe  had, but the overall talent level of next years draft will be lacking great seniors because 95% of the top prospects came out this year as Juniors. Because of this, and the fact that Rheem and Dom need results now to keep their jobs, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities that we trade away next year's 1st round pick to get more now. I'd usually be totally against such a move, but in this situation I actually think it might be a good gamble.

If you buy into this theory I've explained, which I personally see as fact, then a 2nd and a 3rd from this years draft is actually like a 1st and a 2nd round pick from an ordinary draft. Therefore, I would trade next years 1st round pick for a 2nd and a 3rd this year, as long as the picks are #1 thru #15 in their respective rounds. I think most teams expect our next year's pick to be a good one, so someone might bite. I truly believe that two players, from this year's 2nd and 3rd round, is a better bet than any one guy we might get in next year's 1st round.

*Disclaimer* 95% is a completely made up number that I used to represent the vast majority. If it bothers you, simply replace it with "most"

Draft Aaron Donald

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 02, 2010, 11:01:19 PM

we got enough picks.  lets just worry about them getting the picks right.  Plus we don't have anyone with trade value that we should be giving away.

Ft. Myers Buc Fan

Practice Squad

#9 : March 02, 2010, 11:11:34 PM

we got enough picks.  lets just worry about them getting the picks right.  Plus we don't have anyone with trade value that we should be giving away.

Exactly.  I dont even mind the Bucs trading up in the 2nd round or even late in the 1st and on through the mid rounds to get a key guy they covet.  They just cant afford any busts this year

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 02, 2010, 11:31:35 PM

Trading down will save money and help the Bucs. To bad 90% of the people here will only see it as saving the Glazers money.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 02, 2010, 11:45:35 PM

BOOO!!!

I WANT SUH!!!!!

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 02, 2010, 11:47:54 PM

BOOO!!!

I WANT SUH!!!!!

I DO TOO!!!!!!

BUT, there's nothing that can be done if he's not there at #3.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 02, 2010, 11:49:19 PM

BOOO!!!

I WANT SUH!!!!!

I DO TOO!!!!!!

False. He WONT be there at 3. I think most people agree on that.

We have all the ability to trade up though.. Bucs need to do it!

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 02, 2010, 11:51:32 PM

BOOO!!!

I WANT SUH!!!!!

I DO TOO!!!!!!

False. He WONT be there at 3. I think most people agree on that.

We have all the ability to trade up though.. Bucs need to do it!

Good luck with that.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This Year = Stockpile Draft Picks « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools