Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2010 Tampa Bay Rays Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 249

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#45 : March 05, 2010, 03:09:52 PM

Not to mention S-Rod's one-hopper to left-center for a triple.  He looks good.

ToddyBuc

Hall of Famer

#46 : March 05, 2010, 03:11:40 PM

Just got another triple and is 3 for 3 and is hitting 833.. He's playing left  field today, if Joyce doesnt step up, he could be are RF on opening day..

Bucs-Lightning already World Champions. Rays Next!!!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#47 : March 05, 2010, 03:23:51 PM

Hellickson looked good in third after giving up a double (on a very good pitch,) he struck out Jeter, got Granderson to ground out, and Teixeira struck out.  A runner on 3rd with no outs, and gets out of it himself.

kbl11

Starter

#48 : March 05, 2010, 04:53:37 PM

S Rod at 2b, Zorilla at RF, Burrell and Joyce at DH. Or when Joyce plays put Zobrist or S Rod at DH, Joyces glove is better than theirs

Price was very good, but not great. Hellickson was very solid

This lineup might be VERY dangerous, especially in the middle. Heck the speed at the top will be deadly too. Just thin if BJ bounces back. H e looked horrible today though at the plate. Also is Joyce or Burrell step up we oculd have a  crazy good offense. Even without Joyce, BUrrell and UPton we will be sick. A lot to get excited for

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#49 : March 06, 2010, 04:20:22 PM

Rodriguez looks like a find.
Yes he does, looks like the Rays did get something of value for Kazmir after all and the Rays also got a infielder,: Matt Sweeney who is considered by some to be a decent prospect as well in the trade..  Looking forward to the rest of spring training and I do think the Rays have the talent to compete with the Yankmes/BoSox for the AL East barring injuries which plagued the Rays last year.  Hopefully Burrell and Upton will bounce back from horrible seasons, that goes for Sonnenstine as well.

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#50 : March 06, 2010, 04:36:35 PM

Well the Rays need to win this year. With CC and Pena likely to hit the market, they will look much different next year.
Yeah, sadly I think CC will be traded if the Rays are out of contention at the trade deadline or will become a FA after season if the Rays make a playoff run.  I am guessing that in 2011 we will see top prospect Desmond Jennings in CC's place by 2011.  Also wonder how long the Rays will keep Bartlett at SS since Reid Brignac is ready and will be in AAA (unless he can beat out Zobrist and Rodriguez for a spot at 2nd base)while another top prospect: Tim Beckham  who is still a couple years away but definitely being closely moniterd by the Rays as he plays in either Port Charlotte or Montgomery this year.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#51 : March 06, 2010, 04:49:14 PM

Why would the Rays or any team want to get rid of an All-Star outfielder that is under 30?  I'm just not understanding it.    I'm not the biggest Crawford fan, but without an equal replacement what is the angle?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#52 : March 06, 2010, 05:03:44 PM

Why would the Rays or any team want to get rid of an All-Star outfielder that is under 30?  I'm just not understanding it.    I'm not the biggest Crawford fan, but without an equal replacement what is the angle?

I think they would obviously like to keep him (and Pena) but he value on the free market is just more than the owners can afford.  He'll be the biggest FA available more than likely.  I would hate to lose a player of his caliber, but that's baseball unfortunately.

Desmond Jennings is going to be his replacement, more than likely, and he's studly.  Although, I would prefer him to replace Upton at this point.  Hopefully, Upton makes me eat those words this season.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#53 : March 06, 2010, 05:05:18 PM

Sonny was in mid-season form today, giving up 1 hit, 3 walks, and 2 ER in one friggin' inning.

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#54 : March 06, 2010, 06:57:23 PM

I think they would obviously like to keep him (and Pena) but he value on the free market is just more than the owners can afford.  He'll be the biggest FA available more than likely.  I would hate to lose a player of his caliber, but that's baseball unfortunately.

Desmond Jennings is going to be his replacement, more than likely, and he's studly.  Although, I would prefer him to replace Upton at this point.  Hopefully, Upton makes me eat those words this season.
Man there would be nothing better then having Crawford stay and bring Jennings up as well!  If Upton ups his game you have a stellar OF with Matt Joyce and possibly Zobrist (if Sean Rodriguez gets the start at 2nd base) as 4 and 5 OFs.  The Rays are really developing some depth, which makes me afraid they might part with Crawford sooner then later. I just hope they can find someway to sign him to an extention even if it means losing Pena as I doubt they will re-up them both.  possible to get a

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#55 : March 06, 2010, 08:08:20 PM

Forgot that Cuban infielder's name but he's an interesting prospect and maybe worth the gamble.

If we scoop him up, this could be Pena's last season here.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#56 : March 06, 2010, 10:18:19 PM

I'd be surprised if this isn't Pena and CC's last season here.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#57 : March 06, 2010, 10:58:51 PM

I'd be surprised if this isn't Pena and CC's last season here.
I'd pretty much bank on it.

CC is already replaced IMO, however it's going to be tough to fill the hole Pena will leave.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#58 : March 07, 2010, 02:18:13 AM

Desmond Jennings is an equal replacement, hell maybe even better. And I'll go on record as saying that.

As terrible as it may sound, the Rays unlike the majority of the teams can not relegate a 1/6th of their overall payroll to one player, they simply have no room for error being a small market team. This was inevitable, hopefully it doesn't deter the fans because it's just a part of how small market teams work. Stu is trying, trotting out the most expensive Rays team in history this season, so he's definitely trying. However, attendance is still not up to par, so blame shouldn't be placed on one entity.

Some positives out of all of this are...
Desmond Jennings gets his shot
Save $$$
Crawford should be a Type-A free agent, garnering us 2 top draft picks

Hopefully fans next season will understand and not skip out on heading to the ballpark... because you just might miss Crawford 2.0, his name is Desmond Jennings.

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#59 : March 07, 2010, 02:21:08 AM

Is Blalock coming to Tampa or what?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 249
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2010 Tampa Bay Rays Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools