Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions trade for DT Corey Williams « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#30 : March 04, 2010, 11:41:25 PM

Williams is a great UT. I doubt the Lions would spend a first on a Dt when that OL is terrible and they have a major investment in Stafford they need to protect.
Keep telling yourself that.

Williams is not the answer. �He is the perfect attempt to stabilize the line, when a guy like McCoy comes their way.

When do you think they will address the need to keep their franchise qb off the ground?
He is a rook. �He is going to get hit when you throw him into the mix like that. �He is not making reads as rapidly as he should.

Freeman was getting rocked as well. �Should the BUcs take Okung over Suh if both are there?

Freeman didn't get knocked out of games. But Stafford was paid MUCH MUCH more than Freeman, heck people were saying before last year how great our offensive line was. I would be far more concerned about the Lions offensive line. Bottom line is Stafford HAS to be protected.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 04, 2010, 11:42:18 PM

Williams is a great UT. I doubt the Lions would spend a first on a Dt when that OL is terrible and they have a major investment in Stafford they need to protect.

Williams is not the answer. �He is the perfect attempt to stabilize the line, when a guy like McCoy comes their way.

When do you think they will address the need to keep their franchise qb off the ground?
He is a rook. �He is going to get hit when you throw him into the mix like that. �He is not making reads as rapidly as he should.

Freeman was getting rocked as well. �Should the BUcs take Okung over Suh if both are there?

Freeman didn't get knocked out of games. But Stafford was paid MUCH MUCH more than Freeman, heck people were saying before last year how great our offensive line was. I would be far more concerned about the Lions offensive line. Bottom line is Stafford HAS to be protected.
Yeah...when McCoy gets picked #2, you and a lot of Detroit fans cvan be angry about that.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 04, 2010, 11:46:08 PM

Okung may be the guy I want if Suh is gone.. Not sure yet..

This guy better be Joe Thomas 2.0 if he's going in the top 5. Can anyone say with a shred of certainty that this guy is or is close to Joe Thomas?
Nope.

I wanted Joe Thomas in the worst way.  He was bonafide.

MiltonMack21

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 04, 2010, 11:48:08 PM

Yeah...when McCoy gets picked #2, you and a lot of Detroit fans cvan be angry about that.

The only way the Lions fans will be mad is when Jeff Backup is standing there looking at Stafford being carried off the field on a stretcher because they didn't get him protected. Hell maybe the Lions will get that Left tackle in the 2nd round. I am only stating you need to get the offensive line some help and if you have Okung graded out as Joe Thomas 2.0 then you take him.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 04, 2010, 11:49:40 PM

Think back to last year with Stafford walking around with his throwing arm in a big sling. The Lions taking Okung is a real possibility. The new coach may be a defensive guy, but he knows he can't let Stafford get destroyed or he will be gone.
He had time to throw when he got his arm put into a sling.  He danced inthe pocket, much like many young QBs who are adjusting to the game in the NFL do. He has trouble making reads...he is a rookie, it happens.  He rolled out of the pocket, when it was not collapsing, and danced for a while before he got wrecked.  That is on HIM, not the O-line.

Also, bear in mind how much money is being spent on TWO left tackles.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#35 : March 04, 2010, 11:52:37 PM

(thank you...bows...)

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 04, 2010, 11:54:34 PM

Also, Okung is not anywhere NEAR the sure thing Joe Thomas is/was.

Not even close.  You can whine and piss and moan and pray, but he is not Joe Thomas.  Thomas is a future HOFer.

MiltonMack21

Hall of Famer

#37 : March 04, 2010, 11:57:40 PM

Not even close.  You can whine and piss and moan and pray, but he is not Joe Thomas.  Thomas is a future HOFer.

Why would I pray for the Lions to protect their franchise QB? Doesn't matter to me if he ends up like David Carr. But with this being a Quarterback driven league you better damn well protect him. I think they will take either Suh or McCoy and I think the Rams are talking up Bradford trying to get someone to trade up to take him. But I still think the Bucs will get one of the 2.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#38 : March 05, 2010, 12:04:52 AM

Not even close. You can whine and piss and moan and pray, but he is not Joe Thomas. Thomas is a future HOFer.

Why would I pray for the Lions to protect their franchise QB? Doesn't matter to me if he ends up like David Carr. But with this being a Quarterback driven league you better damn well protect him. I think they will take either Suh or McCoy and I think the Rams are talking up Bradford trying to get someone to trade up to take him. But I still think the Bucs will get one of the 2.
I am not saying YOU, I am saying you( lions fan).  Okung is no Joe Thomas bro.  He is a gamble...Thomas was not a gamble.  He was a lock.

I remember me and Dal arguing for the guy, but whenhe was gone, I knew what had to be done, and that didn;t work out for us either.  It happens.  It could happen to Okung.

Backus is not great...but he is paid, and he is solid...as solid as Penn is, IMO.  Penn is no slouch, but he is not the answer for years.  We are blessed to have Penn because of the really crappy LOTs we have had to deal with for many years.  So our judjement might be clouded.  Penn is decent, Backus is decent. 

Okung might be the next Backus, might be the next whatever...who knows.  But with McCoy staring at them inthe face, you know they are going to think of him and WIlliams anchoring the middle, and providing a pass rsuh onto the OTHER QBs.  It is trenchwork man.

You need a QB sure.  But you need a bodyguard as much as you need a QBkiller.  QB is inarguably #1.  You can land them like Tom BRady, or like JaMarcus Russel.  QBkillers and QB protectors are on the same page, IMO.

BMurph

Second String

#39 : March 05, 2010, 12:05:35 AM

I hope for your sake Suh and McCoy go number 1 and 2. You have been talking like it is a sure thing for some time now.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#40 : March 05, 2010, 12:06:53 AM

I hope for your sake Suh and McCoy go number 1 and 2. You have been talking like it is a sure thing for some time now.
It is my opinion.

For my sake?  Why?  Are you guys going to beat me up?  HA HA HA!

Get over it sonny.  This is a MB, I am making my subjective input, as so many of you here do...duh.

BMurph

Second String

#41 : March 05, 2010, 12:08:41 AM

It is my opinion.

For my sake?  Why?  Are you guys going to beat me up?  HA HA HA!

Get over it sonny.  This is a MB, I am making my subjective input, as so many of you here do...duh.

Ehh sake wasnt the best word. But yet its your opinion, but every time somebody mentions Rams or Detroit taking anything but a DT you are quick to shoot them down. Have some faith. IMO we will land Suh or McCoy without a doubt.

MiltonMack21

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 05, 2010, 12:09:09 AM

Not even close. You can whine and piss and moan and pray, but he is not Joe Thomas. Thomas is a future HOFer.

I am not saying YOU, I am saying you( lions fan).  Okung is no Joe Thomas bro.  He is a gamble...Thomas was not a gamble.  He was a lock.

I remember me and Dal arguing for the guy, but whenhe was gone, I knew what had to be done, and that didn;t work out for us either.  It happens.  It could happen to Okung.

Backus is not great...but he is paid, and he is solid...as solid as Penn is, IMO.  Penn is no slouch, but he is not the answer for years.  We are blessed to have Penn because of the really crappy LOTs we have had to deal with for many years.  So our judjement might be clouded.  Penn is decent, Backus is decent.  

Okung might be the next Backus, might be the next whatever...who knows.  But with McCoy staring at them inthe face, you know they are going to think of him and WIlliams anchoring the middle, and providing a pass rsuh onto the OTHER QBs.  It is trenchwork man.

You need a QB sure.  But you need a bodyguard as much as you need a QBkiller.  QB is inarguably #1.  You can land them like Tom BRady, or like JaMarcus Russel.  QBkillers and QB protectors are on the same page, IMO.

No doubt. I guess it just depends on if they "the lions" grade Okung out as the guy. Hell the Lions have been drafting bad for many many many years.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#43 : March 05, 2010, 12:09:41 AM

Not even close.  You can whine and piss and moan and pray, but he is not Joe Thomas.  Thomas is a future HOFer.

It is my opinion.

For my sake?  Why?  Are you guys going to beat me up?  HA HA HA!

Get over it sonny.  This is a MB, I am making my subjective input, as so many of you here do...duh.

Ehh sake wasnt the best word. But yet its your opinion, but every time somebody mentions Rams or Detroit taking anything but a DT you are quick to shoot them down. Have some faith. IMO we will land Suh or McCoy without a doubt.
Cool on you.  I hope you are right, and I am wrong.  For MY sake.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#44 : March 05, 2010, 12:11:47 AM

Let me ask you guys this:

"Is Okung better as a LT than McCoy is as a DT?"

Currently?  With no hindsight?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions trade for DT Corey Williams « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools