Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Plummer owes Broncos $5.6 mil if he does retire.... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #75 : March 05, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »

Thing is this...if Plummer really wants to play for the Texans, and the Bucs want to trade Plummer to the Texans for presumably Carr, why would Plummer retire ifhe knew he was going to wind up with the team he wanted to play for anyway?  Maybe Plummer really does want to retire?

I mean the route to Houston was a bit more scenic, but he would still be (presumably, again) be getting there, no?

Unless of course he really wanted to call it quits and take a year off.

Or the BUCs had no intent of trading him to Kubiak.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #76 : March 05, 2007, 10:29:01 AM »

Ever hear of Junior Seau? He retired and unretired in a week or two.

Actually, it was less than a week.

whobdis

Pro Bowler

« #77 : March 05, 2007, 10:29:15 AM »

becuase we are the ones being laughed at in the deal

To the contrary.

Houston and Plummer are now in a tough bind.

Yep..a number of the talking heads this morning are saying Houston was calling Denver's bluff
and lost.  

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

« #78 : March 05, 2007, 10:31:34 AM »

Thats just it Boid--I dont think Allen had intentions of trading hm anywhere.  He wanted him here with us. Denver wants rid of his cap space and a draft pick.  We were willing to give them that so they made the deal with us. Plummer didnt like it so he said he rather retire.  Its the Bucs fans saying we should trade him for Carr.  Houston has already made us its mind that they are keeping Carr.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #79 : March 05, 2007, 10:34:21 AM »

Houston has already made us its mind that they are keeping Carr.

I wouldn't count on that.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #80 : March 05, 2007, 10:42:05 AM »

Claiming that the rights to a retired player cannot be traded, the NFLPA is expected to file a grievance against the trade that brought Jake Plummer from the Broncos to the Bucs early Saturday. The time the trade was finalized is critical to the matter. If it was finalized after Plummer filed his retirement papers, which reportedly was Friday, then the deal could be voided. Even more critical, however, might be the roughly $5 million in prorated bonus money Plummer will have to pay back should his retirement, which he officially announced on his Web site Saturday night, stick. If the deal goes through, there is a chance the Bucs will be in line for that $5 million payback. If it does not go through, the Broncos likely would be owed the money. Also important are the rights to Plummer. Though he has announced his retirement, he could unretire at any point. The team holding his rights could then trade them. There has been talk of the Bucs possibly trying to talk Plummer out of retirement in an effort to trade his rights to either the Raiders or the Texans.[/i]

JoeyDaBuc

Second String

« #81 : March 05, 2007, 10:46:23 AM »

Thing is this...if Plummer really wants to play for the Texans, and the Bucs want to trade Plummer to the Texans for presumably Carr, why would Plummer retire ifhe knew he was going to wind up with the team he wanted to play for anyway?  Maybe Plummer really does want to retire?

I mean the route to Houston was a bit more scenic, but he would still be (presumably, again) be getting there, no?

Perhaps Kubiak and the Texans F.O  and Jake were in agreement that THEY would acquire Jake when Denver realesed or cut him ( because they didn't wanna pay him )......The Texans WOULD love to get Jake for free.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #82 : March 05, 2007, 10:48:18 AM »

Thing is this...if Plummer really wants to play for the Texans, and the Bucs want to trade Plummer to the Texans for presumably Carr, why would Plummer retire ifhe knew he was going to wind up with the team he wanted to play for anyway?  Maybe Plummer really does want to retire?

Perhaps Kubiak and the Texans F.O  and Jake were in agreement that THEY would acquire Jake when Denver realesed or cut him ( because they didn't wanna pay him )......The Texans WOULD love to get Jake for free.
Well, it ain't going to happen now.  The BUcs own his rights.  If he comes back, and decides he wants to play for the Kubiaks, they are going to have to work with Tampa anyway, no?

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #83 : March 05, 2007, 10:57:44 AM »

I'm not really sure why the timing of Jake's retirement matters, barring a specific provision of the NFL rules or the CBA. After all, the Broncos could trade him at any time normally, and even when he retires they retain his rights throughout the length of the contract - why should Plummer's retiring limit the contractual rights of the Broncos?

FartMan

Pro Bowler
« #84 : March 05, 2007, 11:02:37 AM »

Peter King says the conditional pick is a seventh rounder if Jake doesn't play in '07.... and moves up if he does play.  That certainly is livable.

I really think the Bucs would like to have have all 3 here for Training Camp...as well as Grad's and Eugene.  Gruden has only had a QB play all 16 games since he's been here.  You have to remember last years debacle.

To understand the thinking you really have to look at last years debacle.  
They let Griese go to the Bears in free agency.  
They were extremely inexperienced at QB.  
They sign Fiedler with a bum shoulder, in hopes that he gets better.  
Luke McCown goes down before training camp.  Essentially, leaving them with Simms and Grads.
Fiedler never recovers and they entered the season with 2 QB's with very little experience.

Now, while I believe the Bucs just wanted to see which 3 guys were healthy at the start of the season.  If every one stayed healthy, I believe Plummer most likely would have been cut before the season started and they Bucs would not be on the hook for his 5 million dollar salary... but when you've had the injuries to the QB position that the Bucs have had, it seems smart to try and make sure those bases are covered.  

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I was a little concerned that the Raiders were going to sign Garcia, trade Moss and pick up Calvin Johnson with the first pick.  By taking the 2 highest rated QB's outta free agency the Bucs have gone a long way to ensuring the Raiders go QB with the first pick.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #85 : March 05, 2007, 11:25:42 AM »

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I was a little concerned that the Raiders were going to sign Garcia, trade Moss and pick up Calvin Johnson with the first pick.  By taking the 2 highest rated QB's outta free agency the Bucs have gone a long way to ensuring the Raiders go QB with the first pick.

That's true unless the rumors around Garcia to Oakland are true - i.e., the reason he didn't sign is because he was convinced they'd draft Jamarcus Russell.

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

« #86 : March 05, 2007, 11:30:25 AM »

1.oakland only has like 9 million in cap space--I'm sure we were in a better position to pay Garcia what he wanted. 

2. Garcia has a shot here of playing all 16 games in 07.  If Oakland did have plans to draft Russell then Garcia would be looking at being benched at some point in the year so Russell could play.

Sounds like 2 good reasons for Garcia is sign with the Bucs over Oakland.

RangerBuc

Pro Bowler
« #87 : March 05, 2007, 11:44:32 AM »

The Ricky thing is about retirement, Jake could holdout. We have no dog in that hunt, only the Donks do becuase they signed the contract. Once they get their R4 pick for Jake they don't care what happens to him.

Retirement or hold-out, it does not matter, they are both a default of the contract, but you are welcome to believe anything you want.  Even if you were correct about the Bucs not being able to go after the signing bonus money, and I don't think you are, if Jake "unretires" and then stages a hold-out, the Bucs still have the ability to impose fines and penalties for missing mandatory events like team meetings, training camp practices, games etc, and they will be able to continue to impose those fines until he retires, plays out his contract, or is traded or released.  If he remains retired, or "unretires" only to retire again without ever playing, someone will go after his signing bonus money.  The Broncos do care what happens because they get a better pick if he reports and plays.  Several reports now have stated that it is a 7th round pick in 2008 if he does not play this year, and a 4th round pick if he does.  That is why it is called conditional (the Bucs will definitely give up a draft pick as Scott has stated, but the level of that draft pick is dependant on if Jake plays or stays retired).

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Plummer owes Broncos $5.6 mil if he does retire.... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools