Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sorry Freeman « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

cncfreak

Rookie
#60 : January 21, 2011, 10:31:47 AM

They did good in 2010 against bad teams.

Beating the Redskins because of a botched extra point attempt. Beating the Rams with 10 seconds left on the clock. Needed a 4th quarter comeback to beat the Browns. There are at least 4 wins that could have easily gone the other way. 2 wins came from the worst team in the NFL (Panthers) and 4 came from the worst division in the NFL (NFC West). 3 other wins came from teams that are a mess (Browns, Redskins, and Bengals).

Yet we are going to anoint the Bucs as a playoff team because they beat a Saints team in week 17. The same Saints team the Seahawks dropped 41 points on the following week.

Lets see how this Bucs team does against a harder schedule in 2011. Can they beat Payton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and a healthy Tony Romo? As of right now, NO! I dont think they can. Because the defense is nowhere near playoff-caliber. Those QBs would have a field day on an average day. They will drop back and have all the time they want to pick the Bucs apart. There is serious problems with the DL. Ruud can't tackle. And the secondary is being hung out to dry on every single play.

Does it matter? It's not the Bucs' fault the other teams blow. We are given a schedule by the NFL. All we can do is play it the best we can.

Best post Ever!

Hate

Hall of Famer
#61 : January 21, 2011, 10:35:53 PM

They did good in 2010 against bad teams.

Beating the Redskins because of a botched extra point attempt. Beating the Rams with 10 seconds left on the clock. Needed a 4th quarter comeback to beat the Browns. There are at least 4 wins that could have easily gone the other way. 2 wins came from the worst team in the NFL (Panthers) and 4 came from the worst division in the NFL (NFC West). 3 other wins came from teams that are a mess (Browns, Redskins, and Bengals).

Yet we are going to anoint the Bucs as a playoff team because they beat a Saints team in week 17. The same Saints team the Seahawks dropped 41 points on the following week.

Lets see how this Bucs team does against a harder schedule in 2011. Can they beat Payton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and a healthy Tony Romo? As of right now, NO! I dont think they can. Because the defense is nowhere near playoff-caliber. Those QBs would have a field day on an average day. They will drop back and have all the time they want to pick the Bucs apart. There is serious problems with the DL. Ruud can't tackle. And the secondary is being hung out to dry on every single play.

Does it matter? It's not the Bucs' fault the other teams blow. We are given a schedule by the NFL. All we can do is play it the best we can.

After reading those posts, Sybil comes to mind!!

-------------------------------------------------------

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#62 : January 22, 2011, 03:57:57 AM

I love how you guys pull posts from two years ago as if ANY of you had any clue what this year was going to be like.. its freakin hysterical! I just like how everyone here is on the "I told you so" bandwagon now..

There is a big difference between predicting "Doom and Gloom" and voicing your concerns about this teams future. It's not about saying, "I told you so." It's about serving up some Humble Pie to those who couldn't wait to spew venom, hate, and discontent for everyone who tried to support the team. We were called "Kool-Aid Drinkers" and "Rose Colored Glasses Wearers" because we chose to remain positive. And now that good things have happened to the team, are we supposed to apologize? Don't think so.

You are right, none of us had a clue what was store, but some of us chose to be optimistic. If you notice, it's the same cast of characters in every thread that is "Bumped'' that are the ones spewing the venom. And there will be several posters trying to be reasonable and optimistic that contiually get shot down.

And you should understand that not everyone agrees about the team's future. I think building through the draft is fine, but I dont understand this extreme avoidance of free agency. To me, and many other fans, it seems it has less to do about a genuine direction the team decided to take and more about the Glazers saving a pretty penny. And that is just one example of a cost-cutting move. Lets not forget about the many other things this team has done over the past 5 or 6 years to become the cheapest team in the NFL. If they were spending a boatload of cash in 2008, you can make the claim the team decided to change course and try something new. But not when they were cutting expenses for the last half-decade.

And it would be one thing if they go through FA and say.."eh, no one really caught our interest." But instead you have the GM come out months before they even know for sure who would be available and say they won't go after anyone at all...that's fishy. No other team in the league makes that kind of declaration that far in advance. That immediately kills the optimism a fan base has going into an offseason like this. And then people start to wonder...what happens when the guys we have become Free Agents?

And the Bucs have lost fans. No doubt about that. Where I sit, nearly everyone around me had season tickets 2 years ago. Now, they are gone. I've never seen so many people just up and dump their tickets like that. And they didnt come back in 2010...even with the team winning. Most of the seats were empty during the Falcons game. So its not just about winning. And its not just the economy. There is something else at play.

I honestly have no idea how anyone could not "agree about this teams future." Franchise QB, LT, RB, and WR? ...Check, Check, Check, and Check. Just because the Front Office may not sign the "Big Named" FA that you want, doesn't mean there is a "extreme avoidance" of free agency. And is not like the Front office didn't attempt to sign the big named guys (Albert Haynesworth), they simply choose to play elsewhere.

I'm not sure if you have noticed, but the Glazers (and the other 31 NFL owners) are businessmen. Very wealthy businessmen, who didn't become that way by being dumb. Everyone knows about the impending lockout that is on the horizon, and ALL teams have been cutting cost where they can. Have the Glazers made some mistakes? Absolutely! But they have shown the ablilty to QUICKLY correct and learn from those mistakes.

And you are right, it is VERY "fishy" for a GM to say "we aren't going after any Free Agents AT ALL." (And if you believe that's whay Mark Dominik is saying then, you are far more gulible than I thought.) This is the time of year when it's pretty safe to believe NOTHING coming out of the mouths of NFL Front Office Personnel. No one is going to give away any information that could jepordize the acqusition of a FA or Draft Prospect. What is the benefit of publically saying, "Yes, we are going to look at bringing in the best DE and LB available in Free Agency this year?" None.  You've simply put the rest of the NFL on notice as to who you are looking for in free Agency, and who you will be looking to draft. (Dumb and Dumb).

If you, as a fan, are looking for optimism in a General Manager's post season interview, and are not optimistic by what you saw on the field this year, then you deserve all the "self-imposed" frustration you can stand.
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sorry Freeman « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools