Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Al Johnson visits the Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 05, 2007, 12:04:24 AM

Don't forget that he played next to Buenning at Wisconsin, for whatever that's worth

#16 : March 05, 2007, 12:08:48 AM

That would mean we're missing 2 WISC OL from completing an entire line of them, Joe Thomas would make it one.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#17 : March 05, 2007, 06:52:28 AM

That would mean we're missing 2 WISC OL from completing an entire line of them, Joe Thomas would make it one.
Don't forget Jonathan Clinksdale, who will play for the Bucs in Europe.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#18 : March 05, 2007, 08:27:30 AM

Struggled badly here in Dallas, is basically a bust. Not very strong in the middle.

Dalbuc, that's totally at odds with my lunatic Cowboy friends' takes - they basically said he was a solid player who simply lost his job to the better Gurode once Gurode moved inside (after the Rivera/Kosier signings). Parcells reportedly was high on him, but was frustrated with his lack of bulk (or ability to add it).

He's no Mike Webster, but he's got to be an upgrade over Wade.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 05, 2007, 08:17:52 AM

Don't forget Jonathan Clinksdale, who will play for the Bucs in Europe.

Rusty

You know what? When all is said and done Clincksdale may end up coming in and winning the job at center.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 05, 2007, 08:53:18 AM

Dalbuc, that's totally at odds with my lunatic Cowboy friends' takes - they basically said he was a solid player who simply lost his job to the better Gurode once Gurode moved inside (after the Rivera/Kosier signings). Parcells reportedly was high on him, but was frustrated with his lack of bulk (or ability to add it).

That's fine, they're wrong, but that's their take. The problem with that theory is the Gurode was a flop at OG so moving him inside wasn't a move of strength by Dallas but a sign of weakness. If Al had been doing his job Gurode might have been roadkill.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

whobdis

Pro Bowler

#21 : March 05, 2007, 08:53:56 AM

I dug up a couple of my old NFL mags. 2 years ago it said the Cowboys were very happy with him and
he would solidify the position for the next few years. But the next year (last year) the mag says he lacked
size/strength that Parcells preferred. His size would seem adequate but maybe strength is the issue. One would think that could be worked on.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#22 : March 05, 2007, 09:10:25 AM

Struggled badly here in Dallas, is basically a bust. Not very strong in the middle.

He's no Mike Webster, but he's got to be an upgrade over Wade.
That's the exact same thing Cowboys fans I know have said. Gurode is great, and simply beat out a good Johnson and took his job. Gurode was on the Buccs' radar for a reason. The Cowboys made sure he never hit the market. Every Cowboys fan says the same thing, but they are wrong and Dalbuc is right. Ever notice how the only player Dalbuc has ever said anything good about is Simeon Rice.  Scott Reynolds says he like the signing of Askew, but Dalbuc is unimpressed. Listen to your Cowboy fan friends, just like I'm sure another fan would listen to you about a Buccs player.

nflinsider

Starter

#23 : March 05, 2007, 09:13:18 AM

Great. He'll fit right in here.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 05, 2007, 09:22:09 AM

Al Johnson I believe did have some injury issues to deal with early in his career when he entered as a pro? ???

Between Johnson and Mayberry I would say Johnson is the better player to pursue as Mayberry's injury history scares me.  Some have described Al as an average/above average player.  Basically like I said before a younger version of Wade.  Steady but nothing spectacular.

In contrast there is a reason why Gurode was locked up as he clearly has a lot more  upside and is a superior player compared to Johnson playing center.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 05, 2007, 09:32:14 AM

Mayberry

By Clincksdale and Mayberry do you actually mean Clinkscale and Newberry?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 05, 2007, 09:41:44 AM

Yeah Newberry.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 05, 2007, 10:38:27 AM

That's the exact same thing Cowboys fans I know have said. Gurode is great, and simply beat out a good Johnson and took his job. Gurode was on the Buccs' radar for a reason. The Cowboys made sure he never hit the market. Every Cowboys fan says the same thing, but they are wrong and Dalbuc is right. Ever notice how the only player Dalbuc has ever said anything good about is Simeon Rice.  Scott Reynolds says he like the signing of Askew, but Dalbuc is unimpressed. Listen to your Cowboy fan friends, just like I'm sure another fan would listen to you about a Buccs player.

Abuccs as usual has not a clue in the world. Hey, you like BJ Aksew, good for you. SR does, good for him . Show me anything he's ever done that says he's a good player or anything by an independent observer that says he is. You can't and won't. He's at best JAG.

Al Johnson couldn't hold up in the middle of the line. Dallas invested an R2 pick in him and was looking to replace him his entire tenure at C because he couldn't push anyone off the ball.  Gurode was replaced at OG. He was moved because DAL thought Gurode was a stone cold lock to be the C. It was just the next place to shuffle him off to. Don't believe me/ How about Scouts Inc and their 69 grade on him whihc is basically the same as Wade's 66.  Like others have said, he's a young version of Wade and if you've got an issue with Wade's game then Al gets you the same thing. He's a useful player, he's good depth but he's not a good player that got list in the shuffle.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 05, 2007, 10:42:41 AM

True, but nothing like losing your job to light a fire under your ass - Gurode was going to win the job or probably be gone. He won it and performed at a pretty high level.

That's fine, they're wrong, but that's their take. The problem with that theory is the Gurode was a flop at OG so moving him inside wasn't a move of strength by Dallas but a sign of weakness. If Al had been doing his job Gurode might have been roadkill.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#29 : March 05, 2007, 10:44:55 AM

It doesn't matter if you like Al Johnson or not. The point is, slightly above avergae offensive linemen are getting paid elite dollars. Al Johnson chuckles at our offer! Does this mean it wasn't respectable? Does it automatically make the Bucs the league laughing stock?

No to both questions.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Al Johnson visits the Bucs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools