Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Many top homeschool textbooks dismiss evolution theory « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 21

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#15 : March 07, 2010, 06:53:51 PM

Evolution is based on science so it is taught in science class. Religion is based on belief so it is taught in church.

creationism is a theory as well, whether you agree with it or not it still is a theory, much like evolution, especially considering the origin of life.

The theory of evolution does not directly address the origin of life.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 07, 2010, 07:23:19 PM

A theory based on believing in a higher being. Not a whole lot of science going on there.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 07, 2010, 07:46:01 PM

creationism is a theory as well, whether you agree with it or not it still is a theory, much like evolution, especially considering the origin of life.

Any hypothesis must be falsifiable. God isn't so the theory fails at that first moment. Never mind the fact that we can discount Young Earth Creationism since we know the earth is more than 6000 years old and we also can discount the Old Earth Creationist since we know that forms have changed, died and appeared over time. So basically, no there's not an iota of science in creationism.

It is as much a theory of creation as the creation myth in Hinduism or Greek Myths but we don't teach those theories either.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 07, 2010, 10:18:22 PM

Evolution is based on science so it is taught in science class. Religion is based on belief so it is taught in church.

creationism is a theory as well,

No it is not. It has not passed any of the rigors required to be considered a "theory". No evidence has been presented, no peer review, no duplication of results, etc. etc.

It takes years and years for any scientific idea to gain the status of "theory". First it is an idea, then after evidence supports it, it becomes a hypothesis, then years and years of independent review before becoming a "theory.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 07, 2010, 11:33:34 PM

"Theory".  You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 07, 2010, 11:56:44 PM

Now this is interesting because most of my science textbooks dismiss it as well and I actually believe in evolution so....

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 07, 2010, 11:57:22 PM

Scientific theory is based of quantifiable evidence and/or observable phenomenon. Therefore the idea that a higher being with the wave of the hand created all that you see out of absolutely nothing cannot possibly qualify as a scientific theory.

#22 : March 08, 2010, 03:18:21 AM

Scientific theory is based of quantifiable evidence and/or observable phenomenon. Therefore the idea that a higher being with the wave of the hand created all that you see out of absolutely nothing cannot possibly qualify as a scientific theory.

Anymore then a mathmatical equation so astronomical that it has been compared to winning the big lottery several times over is anymore realistic either.  The point is that what your thread is making it is that you break the notion of creationism to being only something from christian religion. 

I've researched for myself many times over both creationism and evolution, and find certain things about both "theories" to have a certain element of whack job principles in them.  You could argue the questioning of who would be the greater being in the instance of creationism, and that then ofcourse has to drudge up someone's desire to make it about religion.  Then comes evolution where supposedly we all come from one common ancestor, well how then are things to mutate from that common ancestor?  Until more comes out about that then I'd be more willing to take the line that both are simply that, theories that have to be explored into especially considering the complexity of life on this earth. 

Oh and Galt, creationism as a theory has been around just as long as evolution too.  Some of you choose to make it about religion.

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#23 : March 08, 2010, 04:10:21 PM

There is far more proof of evolution than of any god...Educate yourself on the subject before making such leaps of logic...

You just had to go and say that. Now he's going to start babbling about atheists and drag out all the same old tired crap that has been disproven a thousand times.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 08, 2010, 06:20:18 AM

Well, it was an ultimatum when I was in school.  Whenever I brought the subject of God up I was told to be silent or I would receive a 0 for my grade.  Can someone explain ultimatum to me again?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 08, 2010, 06:49:10 AM

Then comes evolution where supposedly we all come from one common ancestor, well how then are things to mutate from that common ancestor?  Until more comes out about that then I'd be more willing to take the line that both are simply that, theories that have to be explored into especially considering the complexity of life on this earth. 

Oh and Galt, creationism as a theory has been around just as long as evolution too.  Some of you choose to make it about religion.

I think I see your problem, you don't understand evolution so it seems like a miracle to you.

Creationism was never a "theory", no one thought "Hey this is a great idea" short of it being the first part of the Bible.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#26 : March 08, 2010, 11:01:15 AM

Well, it was an ultimatum when I was in school.  Whenever I brought the subject of God up I was told to be silent or I would receive a 0 for my grade.  Can someone explain ultimatum to me again?

That was the school giving you the ultimatum NOT the Theory.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 08, 2010, 11:05:24 AM

Actually those two ideas are not mutually exclusive or related. The Theory of Evolution explains observed changes in species NOT where all everything originated.

#28 : March 08, 2010, 11:13:08 AM

Then comes evolution where supposedly we all come from one common ancestor, well how then are things to mutate from that common ancestor? Until more comes out about that then I'd be more willing to take the line that both are simply that, theories that have to be explored into especially considering the complexity of life on this earth.

Oh and Galt, creationism as a theory has been around just as long as evolution too. Some of you choose to make it about religion.

I think I see your problem, you don't understand evolution so it seems like a miracle to you.

Creationism was never a "theory", no one thought "Hey this is a great idea" short of it being the first part of the Bible.

I did not say one way or another that this was a great idea, just simply said that it is also a theory, whether it being fool proof or not.  Not that I don't understand evolution it is that there still exist some holes in the origin of species, and that there still exist some speculation, when some of this is only explained away as a random mutation, when considering the whole complex nature of species in general.  What is funny is that instead of explaining your case, you come across as some know-it-all who looks down on the peasantry who dares to question what you believe as truth.  

You offer absolutes as that is the only way to see it... okay so expound further the details of why, since you are the doctor of evolutionary theory there, for those of us that are simpletons that don't understand the "miracle" of randomly mutating RNA to DNA.  

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 08, 2010, 11:22:41 AM

But that's the problem. These textbooks dismiss evolution entirely and completely dismiss the evidence of observable phenomenon.

We can see evolution in action with bacteria that have become resistant to antibiotics. It proves that genetics of a biological being changes with relation to the environment.

And no one said evolution is the origin of life. Notice that Darwin called his theory the "Origin of Species" not the "Origin of Life."
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 21
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Many top homeschool textbooks dismiss evolution theory « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools