Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Youth Movement: Bad Now but Possibly Good Later « previous next »
Page: 1

Madman

Hall of Famer
: March 08, 2010, 07:38:47 PM

Well said Tbc. ^^^

Best post I've read in awhile.

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 08, 2010, 06:55:12 PM

Let me just say, I am a fan of the youth movement. I like the idea of having a bunch of young studs growing all together at the same time. I think getting younger is a good thing in the sense of athletic ability. However, I do think that the Bucs need to influx a veteran or at least "experienced NFL" player in each position on this time. I like the idea of having a young OL grow together (exception of Faine). I want to see Freeman build a bond with his OL the way Tom Brady has done in New England. I also want to see ourselves get a young stud RB to have for. Thats why I like Toby Gerhart and Dexter McCluster. This draft has got so much potential to be star studded its crazy. It must be nice to be Seattle right now. They have 2 first rounders in good position to take some serious studs.

Just imagine having the youth build and all peak at the same time. We need to have youth and I think the Bucs will have a great team in TIME as long as the Glazers sell and fire Raheem/Dominik. I like the idea of youth movement, but I think it can be handled a little bit better. We got ourselves a good young core. We just need to add more youth, get better coaches, and just play better.

As negative as I am about Raheem and Dominik. I think what they have established here is what is a good idea. I hope this is the Dungy/Gruden effect where Raheem is ousted for his inability to seal the deal and leads to a stud HC who can carry the team to the promised land.

I can handle the FA market being weak, there really is not much out there to take from. I just hope come Draft day we find ways to grab ahold some more picks and just invest heavily into this approach. Rookies will make mistakes but if the potential all peaks at the same time, I think we got ourselves a good team again ready to contend. Thats all I truly want to see out of the Bucs.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 08, 2010, 07:05:48 PM

I agree with this philosophy.

I've been thinking for some time now that maybe, just maybe, Dom & Rah were placed here to gain talented young players, more-so than they were put there to win games. In otherwords, making up for lost time more quickly. Most here would admit, besides helping the cap, Allen didn't do much. These guys seem to be much more proactive when it comes to bringing in the younger players.

Problem is, we could be doing all this "young/future" talk for absolutely nothing. What if they become duds because the scouting dpt sucks like normal? But I like taking chances, so whatever.

...But it's still no excuse. Winning is number one always. Or should be...

Capt_Chaos

Pro Bowler
#3 : March 08, 2010, 07:12:09 PM

here's the problem with the "Youth Movement" some of those guys won't work out to be what we hope...and without a decent vetreran to help them along the way chances are they will take to long to develop....and by then you end up where you now have newer needs for younger players from other positions...

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 08, 2010, 07:22:44 PM

I agree with the philosophy but not our execution. Rex Ryan laid out HOW you go to a youth movement. You bring in players that can be teachers at positions, to be representatives in those position rooms.

On Ryan's defense there was Jim Leonard, Marques Douglas, and Bart Scott in each room that knew his defensive scheme and could teach. He had a great advantage of coaching these guys the year before so it is a little different, but the point is he brought vets in to keep the team together. We took the opposite approach and got rid of our leadership. Brooks gone, Dunn gone, Galloway gone, Garcia gone, etc.

We decided to drop our identity completely, where as the Jets decided to bring it in clearly.

Bottomline, our identity on defense last year didn't develop until the very end of the season. We still have to establish an offensive identity, but I think this offseason wil help us. We decided our players were going to learn on their own, without veterans. We paid the price. The nice thing about our approach is these players have bonded. The 10 new draft picks coming in, and the UDFA's will be playing for young players with experience. We will have competition as well, and we know we will play our best players

It is a bit painful to watch because we dont seem to have the talent, but maybe that is because of the scheme change? The game is a mental game as much as it is physical. With all the changes last season it could of affected us. Offensively & Defensively we were lost at times...

As painful as FA has been, I do look forward to next season. If our defense can get back to top 10 form I believe we will have a chance again. We are a year and a few pieces away from being good again. I cant be mad at that even if it is painful to watch.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 08, 2010, 07:46:25 PM

Who are these "young studs"?

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 08, 2010, 07:59:39 PM

Well said Tbc. ^^^

Best post I've read in awhile.

Appreciate that... glad someone agrees with me... boards been crazy lately...

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Youth Movement: Bad Now but Possibly Good Later « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools