Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Replacing Bryant With Brown Is The Right Move « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

: March 09, 2010, 06:52:00 PM

There has been a lot of discussion on these boards about why the Bucs decided to get rid of Antonio Bryant and why they traded for Reggie Brown to be his replacement. I think the answer is fairly obvious to me as to why they did this because Brown is a much better fit on this team than Bryant.

I think that first you have to look at Brown's age and know that the team is in a rebuilding mode and wants to get younger at WR. I think Bryant was let go because of his age since Raheem Morris said that the team wants to get younger and bring in players that Freeman can grow around. Bryant was 28 years old and wasn't a long-term answer at receiver. Just because Brown is 29 doesn't mean that he isn't fresh. His legs have less wear and tear on them because he has sat out and hasn't played that much the last two seasons. Also, he has only played 6 seasons in the NFL, whereas Bryant has played 8 seasons.

Next you have to look at it from an injury standpoint. Even though Bryant only missed 3 games in the last 2 seasons and Brown missed 8 games in the last 2 seasons, Brown is considered to be a healthier player than Bryant, and Bryant is considered to be a more injury-prone player.

Then you have to look at it from a pure talent standpoint. Bryant’s skills are said to be declining and he isn’t known for making the athletic grabs that Brown has made (check out Brown's highlight reel and you will be impressed). Brown also seems like he is a faster player if you watch some of his highlights.

Another thing you have to look at is Bryant’s bad attitude that people were saying he had. Even though Bryant only wanted to win and wanted to help his team out, he came off in a negative way, and that isn’t good because the players in the locker room respect and look up to him. I haven’t heard of any bad things coming from Brown except when he said this:

“It’s their decision whether or not to play me,” Brown said. “It’s just my decision whether or not to go out there and do my best and try to help this team make it to the playoffs.”

And I wouldn’t pay attention to something like this because it will not hurt Freeman’s confidence like Bryant’s complaining for the ball will because Freeman will throw interceptions when he feels like he is forced to have to throw Bryant the ball. Also if you read in the quote, Brown seems like a team player and doesn't care if he plays or not and how much playing time he gets, whereas Bryant wants to be involved in the offense all the time, which is selfish.

To all you people who say Bryant was not re-signed because the Glazers are “cheap” and didn’t want to pay him, I say you are full of crap. The Glazers re-signed Michael Clayton to a 25 million dollar contract last year and allowed the Bucs to reach the salary cap floor, when they could have just taken the penalty for that instead, so it’s obvious that a move like this didn’t have anything at all to do with money.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 09, 2010, 07:00:13 PM

They didn't replace Bryant with Brown anymore than they replaced him with Bradley. WR is a spot where we are going to try and throw enough bodies at the problem and hope one of them sticks. It is dumpster diving at its finest.

Bryant skills are not more declining than Brown's are...dear god Browns stats went down like a kamikaze. Bryant isn't know for athletic grabs? Please, that is really his whole game.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 09, 2010, 07:05:26 PM

Its baffling to me... but I'm gonna trust that there is a plan that we aren't privy to at this time. Maybe they plan on drafting a quality WR (like Dez).

cslother

Second String
#3 : March 09, 2010, 07:20:50 PM

There has been a lot of discussion on these boards about why the Bucs decided to get rid of Antonio Bryant and why they traded for Reggie Brown to be his replacement. I think the answer is fairly obvious to me as to why they did this because Brown is a much better fit on this team than Bryant.

I think that first you have to look at Brown's age and know that the team is in a rebuilding mode and wants to get younger at WR. I think Bryant was let go because of his age since Raheem Morris said that the team wants to get younger and bring in players that Freeman can grow around. Bryant was 28 years old and wasn't a long-term answer at receiver. Just because Brown is 29 doesn't mean that he isn't fresh. His legs have less wear and tear on them because he has sat out and hasn't played that much the last two seasons. Also, he has only played 6 seasons in the NFL, whereas Bryant has played 8 seasons.

Next you have to look at it from an injury standpoint. Even though Bryant only missed 3 games in the last 2 seasons and Brown missed 8 games in the last 2 seasons, Brown is considered to be a healthier player than Bryant, and Bryant is considered to be a more injury-prone player.

Then you have to look at it from a pure talent standpoint. Bryant’s skills are said to be declining and he isn’t known for making the athletic grabs that Brown has made (check out Brown's highlight reel and you will be impressed). Brown also seems like he is a faster player if you watch some of his highlights.

Another thing you have to look at is Bryant’s bad attitude that people were saying he had. Even though Bryant only wanted to win and wanted to help his team out, he came off in a negative way, and that isn’t good because the players in the locker room respect and look up to him. I haven’t heard of any bad things coming from Brown except when he said this:

“It’s their decision whether or not to play me,” Brown said. “It’s just my decision whether or not to go out there and do my best and try to help this team make it to the playoffs.”

And I wouldn’t pay attention to something like this because it will not hurt Freeman’s confidence like Bryant’s complaining for the ball will because Freeman will throw interceptions when he feels like he is forced to have to throw Bryant the ball. Also if you read in the quote, Brown seems like a team player and doesn't care if he plays or not and how much playing time he gets, whereas Bryant wants to be involved in the offense all the time, which is selfish.

To all you people who say Bryant was not re-signed because the Glazers are “cheap” and didn’t want to pay him, I say you are full of crap. The Glazers re-signed Michael Clayton to a 25 million dollar contract last year and allowed the Bucs to reach the salary cap floor, when they could have just taken the penalty for that instead, so it’s obvious that a move like this didn’t have anything at all to do with money.

I can't tell if your being serious or sarcastic.  I sincerely hope for your sake it's the latter.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 09, 2010, 07:26:54 PM

Every once in a while there is a lot of effort made to provide a solid, sensible post - but it just doesn't get there.  This post is that post.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Trojan52

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 09, 2010, 07:30:02 PM

Every once in a while there is a lot of effort made to provide a solid, sensible post - but it just doesn't get there.  This post is that post.
This about sums up the thread.

It can now be put to rest.

R.I.P

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 09, 2010, 07:32:08 PM

I have to think this is all sarcasm.. Has to be.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 09, 2010, 07:32:12 PM

Actually Brown is more of a replacement for Clayton which is a far more sensible way of looking it to be honest.  Brown isn't an amazing pass catcher, but he is still superior than Clayton in that regard.  

vladin

Starter

#8 : March 09, 2010, 07:34:05 PM

dripping with sarcasm.

bigbuc345

Pro Bowler

#9 : March 09, 2010, 07:36:17 PM

The real question should be "is this a joke?"

#10 : March 09, 2010, 07:36:56 PM

Actually Brown is more of a replacement for Clayton

and this is my hope...  one guy that has a chance, doesn't cost a mint and allows us to trade clayton to seattle or cleveland.

#11 : March 09, 2010, 07:47:43 PM

There was a plan? Anyone tell Dominik or Morris the plan?

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 09, 2010, 08:09:42 PM

The OP is definitely riddled with sarcasm. Nice job, G.J.A.C. You could definitely have a bright future as a political speech writer with your knack for putting spin on things. On second thought, the Bucs' PR department could probably use your help about now.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 09, 2010, 08:47:05 PM

Brown was picked up to cut Clayton, imho.

pewtersmoker28

Pro Bowler

#14 : March 09, 2010, 08:49:04 PM

i love the argument we are getting younger...yet they keep hovan. Miller is now being compared to sapp. SO CUT HOVAN.
I am sure that ELBERT MACK is a clone of RHONDE BARBER so cut barber......
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Replacing Bryant With Brown Is The Right Move « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools