Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DE Kevin Carter to Visit Bucs on Monday « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#30 : March 04, 2007, 09:58:25 PM

Who cares - he adds competition and depth and even if he is a one year stop gap we don't blow a lot of money on him - I like it as we need to build this team through the draft and not overpay for average back-ups - see D White.

As far as Hamlin goes maybe we see our guy in the draft so again why waste our hard earned cap room for one player and one year.  I think Meriweather would be a much better fit then Hamlin anyway.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 04, 2007, 10:00:00 PM

For all we know Hamlin may have already visited and could be in contract negotions, we just have no idea.  The Bucs knew going into FA they would have to address the safety position.  The only major safety target to drop out is Michael Lewis.  Hamlin is still out there and it's only day 4 tomorrow.  We'll have a safety or two by Draft.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 04, 2007, 10:00:15 PM

$ > $$ ... 6-6 305 > 6-1 265 ... 34 ~ 33 ... UF > FSU  ... Carter > Spires ;)

Grudens_Flame

Second String

#33 : March 04, 2007, 10:27:46 PM

He's obviously not a long term solution but considering all the defensive linemen that have been franchised, he looks pretty good for what is available. He has been extremely durable in his career and may be rejuvenated playing in a 4-3 defense again. With White being gone, we only have two NFL defensive ends and Carter is probably better than Spires right now. Bring him in.

Bump! KGB would be better though.

Attitude reflects leadership, Captain.  - Julius (Remember the Titans)

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#34 : March 04, 2007, 10:02:44 PM

Hey my insiders told me there is a 26 year old safety by the name of Ken Hamlin. In the meantime on the scrap projects like Al Johnson and kevin Carter lets try to sign a guy that can come in and dramatically improve our secondary.

Instead of hoping coaching helps phillips and allen, how about we just get the sure thing in hamlin and let Morris coach him and have a pro bowler ???

Its just irresponsible to think that coaching can help Phillips and Allen. Phillips was a freaking WR in college! Neither one is proven player, just get Hamlin for christ sakes already. He is young and can help the team for the next 8 years and play at a very high level with or without coaching.

i'm with you. but Hamlin will have to wait while we bring in Newberry and Carter.  ;)

gharen

Pro Bowler

#35 : March 04, 2007, 10:03:09 PM

One reason his sack numbers are down is because he played DE in a 3-4 the last couple years. This would be a good signing if we get him at our price.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 04, 2007, 10:03:46 PM

I like it as we need to build this team through the draft and not overpay for average back-ups - see D White.

As far as Hamlin goes maybe we see our guy in the draft so again why waste our hard earned cap room for one player and one year.  I think Meriweather would be a much better fit then Hamlin anyway.

Very good points especially the 2nd one.

Regarding the first. Look on the field, what has been built thru the draft? Sure we have Joseph, Caddy, Smith and I'll give you Trueblood and Mahan. Ruud is unproven, allen and Phillips are a nightmare, we are hardly building thru the draft.

Do we need to absolutely! Have we? What he have done is nothing to write home about...

Baghead #2

Grudens_Flame

Second String

#37 : March 04, 2007, 10:05:59 PM

i dont need to check the FA rack. there is nothing there, which is exactly why we shouldn't sign one just to sign one. the DE draft class is deep and that is how we should address this need, not with a 34 year old journeymen hoping to play one last year in FL before he retires.

And your soo confident we'll get a great player in the draft that we should pass on the chance to get a proven vet with decent production (5.5 sacks), reliability, and leadership. Depth. Options. Competition. Heard of them? It seems like you are digging for negativity! I'll only have issue with him if we overpay (over 3.5 mil).

Attitude reflects leadership, Captain.  - Julius (Remember the Titans)

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 04, 2007, 10:10:01 PM

And your soo confident we'll get a great player in the draft that we should pass on the chance to get a proven vet with decent production (5.5 sacks), reliability, and leadership. Depth. Options. Competition. Heard of them? It seems like you are digging for negativity! I'll only have issue with him if we overpay (over 3.5 mil).

If you bring in carter he is a starter, pure and simple. If you like that idea by moving out an elderly and replacing him with an elderly then fine. I would pick a DE in R2 but that is just me. I think Carter does nothing for us. We have enough veteran leadership on this team for them to feud with one another. Its beyond me why you bring in Carter. As I said he is a stater, he ain't sitting the pine. So why replace age with age ???

Baghead #2

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 04, 2007, 10:18:53 PM

Hey, at the right price, he could be a decent addition.  Hes got the size to be our 3rd DE and be a situational DT, just liek White.  Its all about the price tag.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 04, 2007, 10:23:18 PM

Hey, at the right price, he could be a decent addition. Hes got the size to be our 3rd DE and be a situational DT, just liek White. Its all about the price tag.

So much shopping at the nice stores this year???

Carter is not going to come here to be the player you described ICIT...

Baghead #2

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 04, 2007, 10:25:31 PM

He's obviously not a long term solution but considering all the defensive linemen that have been franchised, he looks pretty good for what is available. He has been extremely durable in his career and may be rejuvenated playing in a 4-3 defense again. With White being gone, we only have two NFL defensive ends and Carter is probably better than Spires right now. Bring him in.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

LVBUC

Practice Squad

#42 : March 04, 2007, 10:36:09 PM

Everyone can complain, but can you think of a better option.

UFBucgator

Practice Squad

#43 : March 04, 2007, 10:37:23 PM

I love the guy.  We cannot overspend for him though.  Sign him and draft someone to groom.  

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 04, 2007, 10:38:46 PM

Everyone can complain, but can you think of a better option.

Yeah I have a better option. There are about 7 of them in the draft coming up next month....

Baghead #2
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DE Kevin Carter to Visit Bucs on Monday « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools