Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If CJ/JT are not available at #4...how come no one has mentioned Landry? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#15 : March 05, 2007, 02:45:50 PM

IMO Okoye is the missing piece on our D-line. He could be that dominating Undertackle we've been missing. I wouldn't take any of these guys at number 4 anyway. If Thomas and Johnson are off the board, then we need to trade out.

Not only do I think he is the missing piece I think he could turn out to be the most successful player in this draft. People who don't refer to this as a safe pick have no idea what they are talking about.

Haha. OMG, 9 sacks at Lousville!!!!!!!! AMAZING!!!!

I hear he sh1ts diamonds as well.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#16 : March 05, 2007, 02:46:08 PM

Because he's a safety, and teams typically don't select safeties that high - especially the Bucs. In the Dungy-Kiffen defensive era, the Bucs have never taken a safety before round 3 I believe (Dwight Smith - Lynch was also a 3, but that was Wyche).

The last three safeties selected in the top 4 were Eric Turner (2, pretty much a bust); Bennie Blades (3, great); Kenny Easley (4, amazing).

Landry is a great prospect, but this is a safety deep draft. If we want a safety, I'd much rather trade down and get him or, trading even later get Reggie Nelson. They both are good, but I prefer Nelson despite his less impressive combine.

Still, why draft one round 1 when you can find one in rounds 2 and 3?  

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#17 : March 05, 2007, 02:47:29 PM

Trading down is highly unlikey, especially with CJ/JT off the board.

Most have Landry as a top 7 player anyway.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 05, 2007, 02:49:35 PM

There's still Quinn, potentially the first defensive player in the draft, and Adrian Peterson. I wouldn't say trading down is impossible, especially if Peterson is on the board.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#19 : March 05, 2007, 02:50:05 PM

I'd still prefer a DL - preferably Gaines Adams.

whobdis

Pro Bowler

#20 : March 05, 2007, 02:52:51 PM

I think the only trade down option may be if Quinn is still on the board. If JT or CJ are there we probably take them..and those
are the kinda players teams will move up for. Frankly I doubt anyone covets Quinn enough to move up but who knows.
4 is to high for a safety imo..though it was pretty impressive what the addition of a safety (Sanders) did for the Colts D.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#21 : March 05, 2007, 02:56:10 PM

Whobdis - Sanders pretty much makes my point. You can get impact safeties much later in the day. Sanders was the 44th pick in the draft. Ed Reed, arguably the best safety in football, was taken 24th.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 05, 2007, 03:27:53 PM

Of course I'd rather have Thomas or Johnson, but if they're both gone, I want Landry.

He plays S, that's his problem. Non-premium position with a premium pick. That's not a good move, especially in this defense where S's really don't need the kind of elite athleticism you might want in something than ran a ton of cover-1 or man free.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Balls Out

Starter
#23 : March 05, 2007, 03:36:04 PM

Whobdis - Sanders pretty much makes my point. You can get impact safeties much later in the day. Sanders was the 44th pick in the draft. Ed Reed, arguably the best safety in football, was taken 24th.

And a defensive player of the year...
I don't quite understand the thinking "The Bucs don't need a top 5 safety. We don't run that kind of a defense."?

"Some birds can only have a back archer if you flick the starter button - spocking the G spot doesn't work on all of them"

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 05, 2007, 03:45:24 PM

I don't quite understand the thinking "The Bucs don't need a top 5 safety. We don't run that kind of a defense."?

Let's see Landry vs Adams vs. Quinn

Top 5 S
Top 5 DE
Top 5 QB

Which one do you want? No brainer.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

gone

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 05, 2007, 03:47:13 PM

Then you don't understand our defense...

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#26 : March 05, 2007, 04:24:01 PM

I don't think he's better than Okoye.

Not only is he not better but he isn't as good as a prospect. Okoye is obviously going to make it in this league with his attitude and raw talent.

Okoye is the most overrated guy on this board because UT is a need position and everyone wants to believe he's the next Warren Sapp.  Landry is probably a perrenial pro bowler.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 05, 2007, 04:26:27 PM

Safeties are not that valauble to any team. Have you ever heard of a safety being franchised?

I've heard of a safety being named Defensive Player Of The Year. 

Shag

Pro Bowler

#28 : March 05, 2007, 04:27:12 PM

Okoye is the most overrated guy on this board because UT is a need position and everyone wants to believe he's the next Warren Sapp.  Landry is probably a perrenial pro bowler.

Landry might be better than Okoye. Landry wouldn't be as important to this defense.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 05, 2007, 04:28:14 PM

IMO, Okoye would be a slight upgrade over Wyms. Wyms had 5 sacks playing 6 games... I would rather have LaRon Landry over Okoye,and Quinn. Im not sure about Gaines Adams..
I would be happy with Gaines Adams or Laron Landry..
Both feels in a huge need

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If CJ/JT are not available at #4...how come no one has mentioned Landry? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools