Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joel Glazer explains reasons for lower Payroll... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 24, 2010, 03:46:28 PM

This will not fit with the Grudenista agenda I don't believe but who knows.

The first paragraph of your first post in this thread proves you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Our drafting has been poor since Dungy took over, I see you conveniently "forgot" to mention that. Nah, to you it's all Gruden.

It's funny how our greedy owners can make excuse after excuse over why they don't spend money and fools like you eat it up. Wonder what their excuse is about not spending money on ManU. It's all about their greed, nothing more..anyone who believes otherwise is a damn fool.

Bad Dungy drafts + losing 6 High draft picks on Keyshawn/Gruden + bad Gruden drafts = the mess we're in right now

Question: Does making MAJOR CUTBACKS at OneBucPlace support "this new propaganda bit/building a championship team"...or does it reinforce the view that "some people are just looking at bottom line PROFITS"? �And why did the PublicRelations guy quit???

I can agree with that, although you have to also add into your equation the Glazer's not spending money. There are zero teams in the NFL today who could consistently win games without FA, not a single one.

Yes. Didn't write that down. Thanks.

Enhanced Cranston Logo - \"Alan Cranston-- You\'ve Just Been Warholled!\"

PWNASAURUS

Starter

#31 : March 24, 2010, 03:49:15 PM

The Glazer boys thank you for drinking.

I wish I could keep all you band wagoners off when the Bucs are competing again but there are more idiots than educated fans.

haha...you have no idea what a band wagon fan is..I am a die hard Bucs fan, I spend hours on this site when I should be working...However, I don't agree with the direction my team is going...I HATE 3-13 sorry
Why? Because we won a SB in 2002 means we should win every year. Do you like having mediocre teams composed of FA and vets that can win some games on experience and savvy vs a soft schedule but go 4-12 or 5-11 vs harder ones. Then even if they sneak into the playoffs they were pretenders. I was tired of being a pretender and having no foundation or core and no direction.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#32 : March 24, 2010, 03:50:06 PM

I wish I could keep all you band wagoners off when the Bucs are competing again but there are more idiots than educated fans.

Hey fan police... news flash... If some one is perusing the pewter report message board in March... they are not a band wagon fan. Any self respecting fan has a right to be angry after the year we were subjected to... angry fan is not a bandwagon fan... know the difference.  Anger shows they care...

Personally, I'd rather be a fan of the team an be able to acknowledge the owner is full of crap... as oppose to take their feces with a smile on my face... but that is your prerogative and if it makes you happy, good for you.

PWNASAURUS

Starter

#33 : March 24, 2010, 03:51:14 PM

The first paragraph of your first post in this thread proves you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Our drafting has been poor since Dungy took over, I see you conveniently "forgot" to mention that. Nah, to you it's all Gruden.

It's funny how our greedy owners can make excuse after excuse over why they don't spend money and fools like you eat it up. Wonder what their excuse is about not spending money on ManU. It's all about their greed, nothing more..anyone who believes otherwise is a damn fool.

Bad Dungy drafts + losing 6 High draft picks on Keyshawn/Gruden + bad Gruden drafts = the mess we're in right now

Question: Does making MAJOR CUTBACKS at OneBucPlace support "this new propaganda bit/building a championship team"...or does it reinforce the view that "some people are just looking at bottom line PROFITS"? �And why did the PublicRelations guy quit???

I can agree with that, although you have to also add into your equation the Glazer's not spending money. There are zero teams in the NFL today who could consistently win games without FA, not a single one.
COLTS win 12 games every year, Pitt does pretty well too.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 24, 2010, 03:54:43 PM

Oh so those "washed up street FA" that helped win that Super Bowl mean nothing huh?? And Rah Rah had a great draft?? We shall see..........

those guys were brought in after we had drafted a core of players who could compete for a championship. �the bigtime signings of keyshawn, brad johnson, and simeon were all a response to being a TD away from the superbowl in '99 with a core of players very much in their prime. �if you added keyshawn and simeon rice at their peak to this roster, you'd still have a 3rd or 4th place team in this division

Did they win a Super Bowl??? Buc fans are so ungreatful...I have never seen anything like it in my life. Did Gruden do some bad things sure he did, but to put all the blame on him is GOOBERVILLE! I would take Grudens issues any day over Rah Rah 3-13 garbage

i'm not sure where you are reading me putting blame on gruden.  the point i'm making is what the glazers are trying to do now was exactly how the previous championship team was built: on a core of young drafted players that were supplemented by high-priced veterans once the team was ready to compete.  free agents put them over the top: bigtime guys to fill the major holes '99-'01 (key, simeon, and brad) and then a spate of role players the superbowl season who wound up giving us the juice to dominate the postseason

yes they won the superbowl.  yes they spent all the way to the cap.  but it began with a talented core - i wasn't as into the dollars 10 years ago, but i would bet their payroll spiked after 1999 when it became time to extend sapp & brooks and we made them plus keyshawn & sim some of the highest-paid players in football

PWNASAURUS

Starter

#35 : March 24, 2010, 03:56:27 PM

Hey fan police... news flash... If some one is perusing the pewter report message board in March... they are not a band wagon fan. Any self respecting fan has a right to be angry after the year we were subjected to... angry fan is not a bandwagon fan... know the difference. �Anger shows they care...

Personally, I'd rather be a fan of the team an be able to acknowledge the owner is full of crap... as oppose to take their feces with a smile on my face... but that is your prerogative and if it makes you happy, good for you.

Too many idiots whining about spending and blindly agreeing but few do the research and dig deeper to find causes. It's not koolaide it's called being an informed fan and not following the masses blindly when they have zero idea what they are talking about and base everything on some Wall Street Journal article.

Dy-nasty D

Starter
#36 : March 24, 2010, 03:58:17 PM

I don't really get the hostility toward the Glazers. Why do people take it personally?

The economy is down even for wealthy people. I don't know why people blame them for that.

It's because they own two teams, and spend money on neither. No sports fan is going to be happy with that, ESPECIALLY crazed soccer fans. Because of their greed they refuse to sell either team, that makes them very deserving of everything said about them.

The Glazers' "greed" is what allowed them to buy the Bucs in the first place. They bought the soccer team hoping to make more money, which in turn would come back to spending money on the Bucs. Things didn't work out for them. They bought MU when the market was high. Now that the market is low, they don't want to sell and take a big loss. That wouldn't help the Bucs anyway.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#37 : March 24, 2010, 04:05:15 PM

Too many idiots whining about spending and blindly agreeing but few do the research and dig deeper to find causes. It's not koolaide it's called being an informed fan and not following the masses blindly when they have zero idea what they are talking about and base everything on some Wall Street Journal article.

You are paying too much attention to what they say... not enough to what they do...

They are obviously cash strapped.  They've cut down on front office personnel.  They moved training camp home to save money, they offer big contract but,  with no signing bonus (Winslow, Haynesworth), lowest payroll in the league.. for about 5 years now, lowest paid coach in the league... and the downward spiral happened roughly the day they bought Man U... put it together man, it's not that hard.

Gruden was let go because he wanted them to go out and actually sign some decent players... Raheem gives them cover.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 24, 2010, 04:09:13 PM

COLTS win 12 games every year, Pitt does pretty well too.

The Colts were just lucky enough to be terrible at the right time to put themselves in position to draft one of the greatest QB's of all time. Players like him come along very rarely. Pitt looked great last year didn't they? Even if I agreed that both of those teams don't need FA, which isn't true, but even if I agreed....that's TWO teams out of 32. FA is clearly very important to having success in the NFL, too bad we've been sitting it out the past half decade.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 24, 2010, 04:11:17 PM

I don't really get the hostility toward the Glazers. Why do people take it personally?

The economy is down even for wealthy people. I don't know why people blame them for that.

It's because they own two teams, and spend money on neither. No sports fan is going to be happy with that, ESPECIALLY crazed soccer fans. Because of their greed they refuse to sell either team, that makes them very deserving of everything said about them.

The Glazers' "greed" is what allowed them to buy the Bucs in the first place. They bought the soccer team hoping to make more money, which in turn would come back to spending money on the Bucs. Things didn't work out for them. They bought MU when the market was high. Now that the market is low, they don't want to sell and take a big loss. That wouldn't help the Bucs anyway.

You asked a question, I simply answered it. Sports fans don't like to see their owners pinching pennies.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 24, 2010, 04:53:38 PM

You are paying too much attention to what they say... not enough to what they do...

They are obviously cash strapped.  They've cut down on front office personnel.  They moved training camp home to save money, they offer big contract but,  with no signing bonus (Winslow, Haynesworth), lowest payroll in the league.. for about 5 years now, lowest paid coach in the league... and the downward spiral happened roughly the day they bought Man U... put it together man, it's not that hard.

We have a WINNER! This "we're not spending because we're BUILDING a championship team bit" is PURE cover your butt B.S.

Enhanced Cranston Logo - \"Alan Cranston-- You\'ve Just Been Warholled!\"

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 24, 2010, 05:05:14 PM

When a franchise has over thousands of peoples time INVESTED into a crap-hole it can get very displeasing. As fans we should have the right to get mad at the owners. Without us (fans) this franchise doesn't exist.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 24, 2010, 05:13:45 PM

The people running the draft under Dungy are long, long, lone gone. You can't get rid of them all over again just to make yourself fell better. It's up to Gruden's guys to do a better job, and they didn't, so they're gone, too.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

HughC

Pro Bowler

#43 : March 24, 2010, 08:15:18 PM

I follow what Joel Glazer is saying - to a point.  If money is not spent extending/re-signing your own player(s) then why not spend that same money on a free agent?  And when I say free agent, I'm not saying big-money free agent (Haynesworth, Peppers); I'm talking about a free agent to replace your draft bust that would be about the same age, and would be making the kind of money you were anticipating on spending on your own guy.  Every year there are free agents available at every position, every year there are free agents available coming off their rookie contract, and every year the majority of free agents sign in the $800k - $2 million range.

If the Bucs own players that are coming off their rookie contract are not worth re-signing, then it seems to me it would be worth considering replacing them with a reasonably priced veteran free agent - rather than limiting your options to undrafted free agents and late round picks with no NFL experience. 

PWNASAURUS

Starter

#44 : March 24, 2010, 08:25:42 PM

I follow what Joel Glazer is saying - to a point.  If money is not spent extending/re-signing your own player(s) then why not spend that same money on a free agent?  And when I say free agent, I'm not saying big-money free agent (Haynesworth, Peppers); I'm talking about a free agent to replace your draft bust that would be about the same age, and would be making the kind of money you were anticipating on spending on your own guy.  Every year there are free agents available at every position, every year there are free agents available coming off their rookie contract, and every year the majority of free agents sign in the $800k - $2 million range.

If the Bucs own players that are coming off their rookie contract are not worth re-signing, then it seems to me it would be worth considering replacing them with a reasonably priced veteran free agent - rather than limiting your options to undrafted free agents and late round picks with no NFL experience. 
I understand Hugh but rarely does a team let a key player leave via FA especially in their prime. A few get out each year and some are way over valued(Nate Clements, Adalius Thomas, etc...) and they get teams into bidding wars that only 1 team can win and they pay way more than the player is worth and regret it later just to make a splash. Everyone wants to win every year but you have to have a well built team with a core group that has chemistry from playing multiple seasons together to do it

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joel Glazer explains reasons for lower Payroll... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools